2022 Garden Thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Thanks for the pictures Matt. How old are these plants? I need to get the iDoo setup now, but have been busy harvesting outside and getting ready for the shift in weather. I planted garlic yesterday too. I have some lettuce started in the greenhouse. It's about 2" tall now so I transplanted the starts to 4" pots. Dan, your starts are coming along nicely.

It looks like our heat is going to move east. Hot weather coming to the mid-west and Indian summer for the east coast. Cold and damp coming for us. This morning is pea soup fog and 51º.

Reactions: Dan Freeman
The Tiny Tim’s are about a month and a half old. I’ve got some sprouts with the original leaves on them about a week and a half too.

I like the looks of those Tiny Tim"s and the pictures are pretty of the indoor gardens under those lights--beautiful...I gave 12 more of my tomato's away today and they make a real nice tomato sauce with hamburger in it and other things..enjoyed the postings and I say one thing Grumpy that when you need pain pills it is sure nice to have a few around...clancey

The Tiny Tim’s are about a month and a half old. I’ve got some sprouts with the original leaves on them about a week and a half too.
Looks good! I am ready to plant but have a couple of questions about plant spacing and water. Each hole is about 3.5" away from the next. How many Tiny Tims should I try if I also want to grow some lettuce on the side? One or two?
Do you use special water or tap water?

IMG_3080.jpg

Going down to the upper 30's here tonight and next, Then back up to the 50's at night for 2 weeks (what @begreen said about the upcoming weather pattern)

Covered my tomatoes & peppers with Remay, and hoping for the best.

Looks good! I am ready to plant but have a couple of questions about plant spacing and water. Each hole is about 3.5" away from the next. How many Tiny Tims should I try if I also want to grow some lettuce on the side? One or two?
Do you use special water or tap water?

View attachment 300811
I think the tiny Tim’s are supposed to be 14” square. I put mine down n opposite corners, 6” apart. I bet you could put one in each corner!

I’d put the lettuce in the center. If it gets crowded out, you’d still have the tomatoes.

I put 2 tomatoes on the aerogarden, then something else in the other 2 corners.

When I was cutting the suckers off I noticed something new! Looks like the beginnings of flowers!

F0511583-7337-407C-976D-6FC2905118FD.jpeg

Just finished the garden for the year. Tomatoes and pumkins have been gone for a few days. I dug up the sweet potatoes tonight as it is likely the first frost. All that's left now is a pineapple plant indoors.

View attachment 300832
Nice harvest! Sweet potatoes are one crop I have not grown. I don't think our soil gets warm enough, early enough. Maybe in the greenhouse?

I'll be moving the citrus plants into the greenhouse soon. November is only a couple of weeks away.

The soil needs to be fairly warm when you plant them. I believe around 65 degrees. I usually plant them in early June and harvest right before frost. You need 120 days. Hot days in summer really help them a lot too. 96-100 degrees is preferable but the average here is 85. They seem to grow well here in Harpers Ferry, and my grandfather used to grow them in Scranton PA for years. The soil didn't warm up quick enough up there so he used to put down black plastic to warm it up early. I'm not sure what your climate is in Puget Sound but I think it's somewhat mild? It may be possible if interested. The pineapple stays outside in the summer and comes in for the winter. It will take 3 years to produce a fruit.

Last edited:
I love pineapple and that was a neat post Qvist. I think its a good idea to move your citrus plants inside bg. Just think Lime you got buds...lol enjoyed every ones posting...clancey

Just finished the garden for the year. Tomatoes and pumkins have been gone for a few days. I dug up the sweet potatoes tonight as it is likely the first frost. All that's left now is a pineapple plant indoors.

View attachment 300832

I started a pineapple from the top piece 3 years ago, still going. I've tried again a few times with no luck.

I do have 3 avocados (2 are 4 years, one is this year) and a lime tree (4 years) as well. All started from seed from kitchen produce remnants.

Reactions: begreen
OK, I have the iDoo almost fully planted, with the foreknowledge that there will be some thinning as the tomatoes get larger. I added a couple more pods of mixed variety lettuce, a couple basil, and some cilantro. It's weird just dropping in seeds in the sponge hole without tucking them in with a soil topping.
I found out today that a friend's niece has a youtube channel on her large hydroponic garden. She offers several seed recommendations. The Mini Siam tomato looks good.

I started a pineapple from the top piece 3 years ago, still going. I've tried again a few times with no luck.

I do have 3 avocados (2 are 4 years, one is this year) and a lime tree (4 years) as well. All started from seed from kitchen produce remnants.

I wonder if a lime would survive outside down there. They grow in England so they should take a little cold.

OK, I have the iDoo almost fully planted, with the foreknowledge that there will be some thinning as the tomatoes get larger. I added a couple more pods of mixed variety lettuce, a couple basil, and some cilantro. It's weird just dropping in seeds in the sponge hole without tucking them in with a soil topping.
I found out today that a friend's niece has a youtube channel on her large hydroponic garden. She offers several seed recommendations. The Mini Siam tomato looks good.

I think I've only just begun to figure out uses for the Aerogarden. There's so much potential!

We're the lime and avocado hard to start? I started my pineapple the same way, but with difficulty. I actually Gave up and threw it on the compost pile. A week later it had rooted and I potted it.
The lime was easy (I did a lemon too, but it croaked after 1 1/2 years, never did it again), Saved the seeds, let them dry on a paper plate for 2 weeks, planted in soil in the spring, and waited about 2 weeks for sprouts). Top off with composted horse manure.

The avocados were more of a challenge. The "stick a tooth pick in it over a jar of water" did NOT work. They rotted.

What did work was letting them dry out on a paper plate for 2-4 weeks, planting in soil, and waiting. Took 1 - 3 months. I planted 6, got 2, 4 years ago. Planted 3 this spring, got 1.

Your mileage may vary ;)

Next up for me is a Mimosa Tree. I have one that is passed it's prime. Collected the pods as they fell (drying out now, been 2-4 weeks).They need to stratify, so I'll try them in March or so.

Reactions: Qvist
I gave another 28 tomato's away yesterday and now I have more--this plant is "productive".. It's the most unruly plant and I have plastic boxes under it to keep it off the ground and its so so heavy--the branches even to lift up and beyond this there are green tomato's still on the vine ready to get red--lots of them...lol I threw in a few pictures of my birdies...clancey

tomato plant (big boy) 002.JPG birdies and plant oct 2022 031.JPG birdies and plant oct 2022 003.JPG birdies and plant oct 2022 001.JPG birdies and plant oct 2022 014.JPG

Reactions: Dix and Dan Freeman
Mrs Clancy, are they all rock doves? I didn’t learn too many dove types on ornithology, lol.

That's a question that "you just had to ask"--lol...I am going to refer you to a link that will basically answer the question much better than I could. Also if you can get an old book by the name of The Pigeon by Wendell M. Levi copyright 1941 but renewed in update 1968 that has information as well. A lot of racers and fanciers have cut their "eye teeth" with this book. Pigeons go back through history with different countries and it is a very complicated history. So now I will refer you to my link on here.

Last edited:
That's a question that "you just had to ask"--lol...I am going to refer you to a link that will basically answer the question much better than I could. Also if you can get an old book by the name of The Pigeon by Wendell M. Levi copyright 1941 but renewed in update 1968 that has information as well. A lot of racers and fanciers have cut their "eye teeth" with this book. Pigeons go back through history with different countries and it is a very complicated history. So now I will refer you to my link on here.
I always thought "Rock Dove" was the more romantic name, and "Pidgeon" was the more common name, but basically, they are one in the same.
1666376413706.png
I'll have to do some reading...

Reactions: clancey
Since I really don’t know much about the subject, and figured there must be some selective breeding involved, it didn’t seem right to ask if they were common pigeons. Lol

Rock dove seemed like a good alternative!

I actually have a rock dove mount displayed at a local college. Most of the students chose raptors, owls, or ducks for taxidermy. I went the other way and worked on a rock dove. There was no other work to compare my work to!

Somewhere my wife has a pic of me working on a museum mount of a starling at the kitchen table.

Reactions: clancey