2022 Garden Thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Well then --How about this idea? You can take the pushing handle off of it and the measurement is:
24 high and 46 long and 24 wide but you can get different sizes and they are nicely removable in case you change your mind for you are good at that---just chiding you for I am the same way. lol clancey

Cart 001.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Dan Freeman
I made a 4 ft wide bed, and found it too wide for my liking, but it was low, I think it was made of 2x10s. Having it up high could make all the difference.

And it’s personal preference. Most have no problem with a 4 ft bed. The more I plant stuff, the more I seem to change and tweak. I don’t know , lol. I have the distinct feeling my garden will look like what my grandparents did eventually, lol.

The latest beds I’ve made were only 2 feet wide and I have a walkway on each side, I think 18”. The thought was that I could intensively plant the narrow beds, and the walkways ensure that the sun gets to the plant sides. I’ve liked it for the last 8 or so years as far as convenience. I don’t like how easily the raised beds dry out.

I have some old raised beds (2x4 height) that the boards rotted out and are now in the ground. They get watered so little in comparison to the actual raised beds made with 2x10s.

I like four-foot beds only if they have access from both sides. I think there are advantages to the width for certain crops like corn or squash.

I also have two foot beds, and I like those, too. I only access them from one side (though I have access through trellises on the other, and I pick from both sides on the beds that have my arches). I even plant one crop in the front and one in the back in those two foot beds. My current example is bush beans in front and sugar snap peas by the trellis in the back.

We are expecting our first “real-deal” cold front to move in tomorrow. There’s the possibility of some thunderstorms, and temperatures should drop throughout the day and head to the thirties overnight. We aren’t expecting frost or freeze, but I’m still a little worried about how the plants will handle the suddenness of the change.

In light of that, I did some harvesting today. I picked green beans to go in the fridge for later cooking, and the same variety of green beans that I have been letting go for seed. They’re not all dried down as I would prefer, but they’re on the way, and I wanted to keep them out of the rain. I’ve been told that this variety can soak up water in the drying pods and causes losses to the seed.
930F9C9B-DC10-4DCD-BD0D-9E3D0B9D4BEF.jpegE66AFD2C-E756-42C6-BB4D-943EE0AAED95.jpeg

I also harvested all my sweet potatoes. It was not a good harvest at all considering all the work I did growing the slips and watering the plants all summer. I think the drought was just too much for me to combat. Most of the plants only produced one or two potatoes, and they weren’t large. Some didn’t produce any unless I just did a bad job of digging.

My most productivity actually came from the planter where I bedded the cuttings of mother potatoes for the slip production. I couldn’t bear to lose all those, so when they got big, I dumped them into a hollow of a mulched bed in our backyard where it was easier for me to water. They had a big head start on the garden, and spent much of their early life in a self-watering planter. The roots from that small area (maybe 3 square feet) are the ones in the cookie sheet at the top of the picture. They just edged out all my garden plantings combined in ounces. I ended up with just shy of ten pounds total. They’re in my oven (not turned on) with a dish of hot water for humidity in order to cure now for a couple of weeks or more.

I sure hope it does rain tomorrow. We need it badly.

Reactions: clancey
Well I thought and I like the 10 and 1 modular that is 32 inch high and add a trellis to it. I also like those pretty decorative ones in the heart shape and stuff but they would have to have the height.
DG--I got real hungry after seeing your beans and potato's so I got myself out a can of yams and string beans and yours look just wonderful even if the potato's are small like you say--beautiful garden and you sure worked real hard this year. You should do a video with all the wonderful knowledge that you have to offer--just wonderful...Eaten I like the two foot wide ones too but they need to be high..Winter weather is now approaching and its coming on quick--I say--too quick.. Heavy coats and boots--ugh...Waiting for Spring...Thanks everyone with all the sharing of your wonderful know how's appreciate. Have a real nice Thanksgiving everyone and thanks..clancey

Hope you do get the rain, DG. You have had a rough season with the heat and lack of rain. I think your harvests that you have been showing are a testament to how hard you worked to combat the weather.

I have 4, 3, and 2 foot raised beds. No particular reason except for maybe the size of the wood I had when they were built. I do like the 4-foot beds as long as I can access them from both sides. I think it was Limestone who touched on the smaller the bed, the faster it dries out, which I guess is an argument to plant directly in the ground, but at 66 y/o even that 1 foot difference between the ground and a raised bed is a big difference when it comes to bending and kneeling. And it's nice to have the edge of the raised bed as support when getting up off the ground.

Even though they are 3x more expensive than the ones I could build myself, I agree with you Clancey. I really like the 10 in 1 modular 32" high beds. I don't know what their guarantee period is, but they got great customer reviews and I did read that they have a 20 year life expectancy. That is good since the only thing I will be doing in the garden in 20 years is pushing up daisies!
1668167010278.png

Well, I went ahead and ordered 1 of the Vego 32": Extra Tall 10 in 1 Modular Metal Raised Garden Bed Kits this morning which I plan to build in the 4' x 8' configuration. Once my ribs are healed, I will buy the 2x4's and galvanized corrugated roofing and build one of the other elevated garden beds I wrote about above. That will give me at least 2 to compare against each other next season.

It must be horrible being held up by the ribs! I have a sprained thumb that’s tough for me to not use. I can’t imagine ribs right now, lol.

We’re getting the remnants of a hurricane at the moment. Luckily it’s a gentle rain.

It must be horrible being held up by the ribs! I have a sprained thumb that’s tough for me to not use. I can’t imagine ribs right now, lol.

We’re getting the remnants of a hurricane at the moment. Luckily it’s a gentle rain.
Yup. Hate it! I am feeling much better pain-wise, but still feeling tender and bruised. I feel like I could be doing more, but I spoke with a few people that cautioned me to continue to take it easy and not to rush it. They said if you re-injure the ribs while they are healing, it can be almost like starting over.

The rain all missed us, but the wind and cold came in fast. It was 79 degrees yesterday, and it dropped to 37 overnight. It may be even colder tonight. I’m going to have to water the garden today, but I’m waiting till the sun warms things up more before I venture out into the windchill.

@Dan Freeman, I think it’s very wise to take things slowly. Winter is the time to slow down and heal so that you‘ll be all ready for spring.

Sorry the rain missed you DG. That is a big swing in temps. We are going to experience similar between today and tomorrow. Today close to 70; tomorrow it won't get out of the 40's.

Yup, I want this to heal correctly and well, so taking it easy is the order of the day. I have been using the time to watch a lot of YouTube gardening videos (I just love the University of YouTube). I also have started to research each fruit bush/tree I have planted in the FF and making notes on pruning, pests, fertilizer, etc. I am also going to look into putting a second greenhouse in the corner of the FF. The greenhouse I have now probably has another 3, maybe 5, years left before the polycarb needs to be replaced. Can't start planning too early. I am still obsessed with having a growing spaces geodesic dome greenhouse before I get too old to enjoy it. https://growingspaces.com/

I would fill it like a hugelkultur mound with just about 12 inches of soil on top no matter what we eventually go with. The 17" certainly are nice and more than sufficient, but I am looking for the height as we get older for some of the things we grow. Less getting down on the ground.
Our beds are 16" and that works pretty well for us geezers. I have a couple of livestock tanks that are 32" and it took a lot of logs and stuff to build them up the way mentioned. They do mean no bending.
Our 16" wide beds are 4' wide. It's not a problem because the farthest reach is 24". One thing I really like with our cement wall beds is that the edge is strong enough so that I can use it as a fulcrum when turning with a pitchfork. That saves a lot of backache. I would want that with any metal bed too. Our livestock tanks have a heavy rolled edge on top that is strong enough, but I am not sure about the two bed systems posted, though maybe a wooden top rub rail or angle iron could be bolted on to facilitate this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dan Freeman
Wow, these little mini gardens grow quickly. We have the first buds on the tiny tims. They were planted Oct. 18th.
IMG_3115.jpgIMG_3116.jpg
Time to harvest a little more lettuce.

Yeah, they're cool toys!

I planted the 3rd aerogarden tonight. 1 tiny tim was planted in the middle and I put 4 green onions around the outside.

My wife told me that lettuce is up to $5.99 a head at the local store. At that price, it may no longer be a toy. We did a harvest of lettuce today in the garden but it's slowing down. I may need to set up something bigger like Dan has though I am concerned about fungus gnats in the house.

Just for greens. I just cut the tops off and they keep doing their thing. The ones planted outside will quit growing pretty soon, lol.

I’m sure glad you got all that work done before the accident, @Dan Freeman. Now you can sit back, relax, make videos, and heal.

It has turned cold here (perhaps what others may describe as chilly or cool), but the temperatures have dropped enough for us to run the woodstove now. It got down to freezing briefly on Saturday night/Sunday morning, but it wasn’t a hard enough or long enough freeze to damage the garden.

Here are some recent photos:

Our first harvest of Dinosaur Kale. I did some picking and thinning on Friday before our cold front blew in. This went in lentil soup for supper that night while the winds blew.
FFDAEEEA-CEDC-4084-9D38-A501FEE6D3B3.jpeg

Here a couple of immature Seminole Pumpkins (from the vine I cut back and that regrew) that I harvested on Monday to fry up alongside chicken drumsticks.

9776E3C9-ADE6-4E6D-BC7E-FCF9025F6D94.jpeg4B56843B-D33E-4599-B4A2-056FF27333B1.jpeg

A sliced Taiga tomato that made a great topping for BLTs.
6D6A8BAE-839B-4693-A155-22FC22C3CEEF.jpeg

I had had my Glass Gem Corn drying on a tool rack near the woodstove. I took it down when I wanted to get the gloves off the hearth now that it’s stove season again. We shelled out the kernels after dinner on Monday, and these are the ones we saved for seed.
6E6E1C65-887F-4A1B-AA07-AB96D3B87BAD.jpeg

All summer I get out to the garden as soon as I can in the mornings to beat the heat. These days I’ve been waiting till it warms up some before I head out there. It’s been in the 30s in the mornings this week.