2023 Severe Weather

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We're east of Worcester. Down a lot from annual average as the table shows.

Used the snow blower twice. Won't change the oil this year.

Reactions: thewoodlands
Without these last 2 storms this month we would have been way below average. We broke it by 1". Its been a warm year. I dont think its a bad thing to have every once in a while, and if it can happen when electricity and heating fuels are up, its a good thing.

Does anyone have a average temperature Stat from this winter? I can't seem to find one and I'm very curious to see if we have averaged a warmer winter. It sure feels like we have here, but I'm thinking it will be a slower, wet, and cooler spring start in order to get back in line with the yearly average.

Philly came in at 1% of their annual average, on that snowfall chart. ;lol I'm a good 30-40 miles north of center city, and our local yearly average is about 30% above theirs, but that agrees with what I've seen this year.

I thought VT and NY got hammered way worse than average this year, but according to that table, really only Buffalo was above average.

We had a warm winter. If you removed the last 2 stow storms, both this month, we’d be half of average. Skiing has been horrible! I’ve only used warm weather wax. Last year I was using all the temperature ranges as the temperature went up and down.

The rivers, streams and brooks will be on the rise.

Hazardous Weather Outlook​

Hazardous Weather Outlook
National Weather Service Burlington VT
312 PM EDT Wed Mar 22 2023

NYZ029-030-034-035-087-VTZ003>011-016>021-231915-
Southeastern St. Lawrence-Southern Franklin-Western Essex-
Eastern Essex-Southwestern St. Lawrence-Orleans-Essex-
Western Chittenden-Lamoille-Caledonia-Washington-Western Addison-
Orange-Western Rutland-Eastern Franklin-Eastern Chittenden-
Eastern Addison-Eastern Rutland-Western Windsor-Eastern Windsor-
312 PM EDT Wed Mar 22 2023

This Hazardous Weather Outlook is for northern New York, central
Vermont, northeast Vermont, northwest Vermont and southern Vermont.

.DAY ONE...This afternoon and tonight.

Hazardous weather is not expected at this time.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...Thursday through Tuesday.

Around a quarter of an inch to six tenths of an inch of rain will
fall on Thursday. Maximum temperatures will also reach the upper 40s
to lower 50s. Combination of snow melt and rainfall will lead to
rises on area rivers and streams. Some rivers may reach bankfull.
Will continue to monitor potential for river flooding later this
week.

We had a warm winter. If you removed the last 2 stow storms, both this month, we’d be half of average. Skiing has been horrible! I’ve only used warm weather wax. Last year I was using all the temperature ranges as the temperature went up and down.
Yes, we got the cold winter this year. Skiing has been excellent and continues. Another 6" is predicted for Apr 1 at Crystal Mtn.

My skis are practically put up. I need to put a coat of wax on them to protect the bottoms before I can officially call them done. I barely got out this year.

337657113_1389658938534185_7289406820085816195_n.jpg

The weather that will be moving through the north country later this afternoon and tonight.

Reactions: bogieb
I did my first mowing two days ago, and the local news is already airing their usual annual stories on spring allergy sufferers. The daffodils are up, and the hyacinths are starting to show. Very weird, very short, and very mild winter here, this year.

I did my first mowing two days ago, and the local news is already airing their usual annual stories on spring allergy sufferers. The daffodils are up, and the hyacinths are starting to show. Very weird, very short, and very mild winter here, this year.
We never had a long cold stretch this year, our coldest was minus 29 or if you live on the river it was colder but just for the one night. We can get a few weeks that we're below zero but not this year.

It seems this winter we received close to our average snowfall (88 inches) but we had some warmups with rain so what we had early pretty much melted during the warmups.

Our nights have still been in the low 20's but hopefully that changes when March ends, we're ready for spring.

Reactions: bogieb
The snow squalls we were suppose to get never happened which is fine.

I’ll be heading North this weekend. I’ve heard there’s still a bunch of snow up there. I’ll bring a shovel incase there’s a snowbank, lol.

We're going to be going back to late winter weather starting tomorrow. Up to 2 more feet of snow are predicted for the mountains.

I’ll be heading North this weekend. I’ve heard there’s still a bunch of snow up there. I’ll bring a shovel incase there’s a snowbank, lol.
We still have some on the ground but not much. We do have rain coming in this afternoon and tomorrow they say the temp will hit 60 with a third of an inch of rain and then drop to 15 Saturday night.

The last two mornings have been 15.2 & 15.6 with Saranac Lake NY at 3 this morning.

Kind of a blizzard out there right now.

The stove is happily converting a load of pine into heat.

491078C7-6BA6-4B0B-B89F-ED63A972D668.jpeg

Got to listen to wet snow sliding off the roof last night.

E3919492-DA82-4ABE-8434-ADBD4D8A3AB8.jpeg

I kicked what I could down and will let the rest melt on its own. Its supposed to be 60 today, lol.

I kicked what I could down and will let the rest melt on its own. Its supposed to be 60 today, lol.
Accu is calling for a high of 61 with a low of 17 tonight, with a drop like that the winds will be picking up.

Weird weather here, today. Oscillating many times, and very abruptly, between total cloud coverage with rain, and warm sunny skies. It’s not common for us to see such extreme and repetitive changes in sky coverage, hour to hour.

Might be finally looking like spring here soon. Calling to finally hit 50f this week. Yard and part of driveway still full of snow but hopefully it’s on its way out. Since the lake didn’t get as cold, I’m sure we will have plenty of lake effect stragglers for quite awhile, as the land attempts to warm up.

Status
Not open for further replies.