25 cords red oak for $2500 ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If I had the space, I would, but it depends on your local pricing, I guess.

Is that split? What is a pup load? Do you have wood to burn next year? How many truck loads is 25 cords?

patch53 said:
I can get a full truck and pup load of red oak delivered for $100/cord. That would be enough to last me 5 years. Should I take it ?

yes

For log length wood that is good. Going price around here is about $100-$110/cord, but that is usually mixed hardwood that usually includes some soft maple , birch, or other lesser quality wood. Face cords of hardwood c/s/d are about $65 here. I prefer to c/s my own. I like the work and excercise. In the past I always went out and cut my own wood, but getting too hard to find it anymore, besides, I ain't getting any younger ! LOL

I've gotten wood from this guy before and its nice wood. Its all red oak that was killed by "oak wilt". It was cut almost a year ago. They have to leave it stacked for at least 6 months before they can deliver it to insure the fungus is dead. I have enough wood in the bin right now to last thru 2010-2011.

I think I might go for it.

Pat

gzecc said:
Is that split? What is a pup load? Do you have wood to burn next year? How many truck loads is 25 cords?

This is a truck and pup. 20 cords on there.

Attachments

• IMG_1686resize.jpg
    IMG_1686resize.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 578
I bet it would be nice to just work with those smaller diameter logs all the time. I'm thinking about doing something like this once I get my supply figured out. Should be much cheaper down here though. Looks like a lot of work calling though.

PapaDave said:
patch53 said:
I can get a full truck and pup load of red oak delivered for $100/cord. That would be enough to last me 5 years. Should I take it ?

patch53,
I got 20 in May for 1500. 100% oak. If it helps, I'm near Atlanta, Mi.

Thats a great price on oak Dave, unfortunately I live about 250 miles from you and I don't think they would ship me a load for that price LOL I think I'll do a little more checking around and see if anyone has any hard maple or beech. Theres a bug thats killing all the beech up here now. beech is excellent firewood if you can get it. Theres tons of beech just north and east of here.

Pat

drdoct said:
I bet it would be nice to just work with those smaller diameter logs all the time. I'm thinking about doing something like this once I get my supply figured out. Should be much cheaper down here though. Looks like a lot of work calling though.

drdoct,
if that was directed at me, yeah, most of these are no more than 8-10" dia. and a few might be 12-14". I pull some wood out of the property too, but none of that is very big either. Pine, maple, and some poplar are about all I have.
I didn't have to do much calling, since one of my brother's neighbors works for a logging co., and got us hooked up.

PapaDave said:
gzecc said:

This is a truck and pup. 20 cords on there.

how long does it take to unload?

Status
Not open for further replies.