25 hours into it.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

gotboostido

Hearth Supporter
Jun 23, 2008
south shore, ma
Well heres the progress 25 hours in. Now i just have a mountian of rounds. Lol. I think im still looking at 4-5 cord of poles. Laying around. I am basing that off of 80' of 15" poles. The ones in the pic are in the range of 24"-30" about 60' there. So many people have stopped and asked if its for sale. Or wow thats some nice wood. Lol. The second pic is the original pile.

Attachments

• 20171031_165125.jpg
    20171031_165125.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 513
  • 20171014_175527.jpg
    20171014_175527.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 470
Nice work! Looks like your new saw is now broken in.

you cut it all up into sawdust? that seems like a waste of wood :)

nice work. it is amazing what a few hours a day will do. I remember when I first started, and it was really overwhelming to think about how to get through it all. Now I look at processing wood as relaxation!

yes, it went better than i thought it would. one thing i did is i kept everything nice and tidy as i went. i surly didnt want to be tripping over anything. and also tried to set the chain brake when ever i put it down. it is a pleasure to work on nice straight logs. ive always been a scrounger of wood usually along power lines. grabbing whats ever laying around. as far as the new saw. now ive only used a couple of homeowner saws in the past. im so glad i got 562 xp and returned the rancher 550. now maybe the rancher would have been fine. but this thing rips through anything. i did stick to the small stuff for the maybe the first 10 hours. for the breakin. now i have that 50' of 24" log to process. well almost time to get splitting...

yes, it went better than i thought it would. one thing i did is i kept everything nice and tidy as i went. i surly didnt want to be tripping over anything. and also tried to set the chain brake when ever i put it down. it is a pleasure to work on nice straight logs. ive always been a scrounger of wood usually along power lines. grabbing whats ever laying around. as far as the new saw. now ive only used a couple of homeowner saws in the past. im so glad i got 562 xp and returned the rancher 550. now maybe the rancher would have been fine. but this thing rips through anything. i did stick to the small stuff for the maybe the first 10 hours. for the breakin. now i have that 50' of 24" log to process. well almost time to get splitting...

With that much 24" log to process it might be worth picking up a skip tooth chain, keep it nice and sharp. Not really a must have but good to add to the arsenal. You'll be able to make use of the felling dogs to let the saw do almost all of the work as it pivots through the wood.

I wish I had 50' of 24" thick log to buck up. In that same wish I don't have to lift or carry the pieces, I just get to use the saw and do the cutting :)

Reactions: Soundchasm
This is fantastic! Did you get your file sharpening kit? There's nothing like seeing big chips fly at the start of each session.

Way to go on prioritizing safety and organization. You're not exaggerating on a "mountain" of rounds. I believe an awful lot of people would have stopped to express admiration or "can I have that for free?"...