25-ip/55-shpip/55-trpip

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bigbrat

Nov 1, 2016
Canada
Hoping a pro will chime in ..I'm not sure if I have a fan motor going or its just the way it is suppose to work.This is my second year for this stove and I have a Honeywell thermostat hooked up to it..I have it set on the hi/low setting so that when it reaches the set temp..the stove goes to a idle.Now my problem is that last year when the stove hit the room temp it would go in idle until the temp dropped..but the fan would always stay running..this year the fan shuts off at random temps on the thermostat..but the stove still feeds pellets..then after about 10 minutes the fan will start again..for a couple hours before it shuts back off ..sorry for the long winded question Thanks in advance for any help

Which fan? The combustion fan should always run. The convection blower will come on when stove reaches temperature. The thermister has some input on the room fan operation. It is bolted down near the bottom of the stove (rt side as you face the front) has clth covered wires that go to control board. Make sure the connection is clean and tight.

Reactions: Bigbrat
Sorry..its the convention blower that starts and stops at different times..it will even shut off before it reaches the set temp on the stat.It didn't work that way until about 2 or 3 weeks ago..it may stay on for a couple hours then shut right off..but still feeds pellets...then 10 or 15 minutes it will start blowing again

Take an old extension cord and connect it to the room blower motor and plug it into the outlet and let it run for a half an hour. If it doesn’t run continuously your issues is the motor. If it does work good it may be the thermister or control board

Reactions: SidecarFlip
Sysko just told you......

You will need a digital multimeter and a heat source. Probably test it while the stove is in start up. A properly functioning positive temperature coefficient thermistor will show a smooth and steady increase in the multimeter resistance reading. A properly functioning negative temperature coefficient thermistor will show a smooth and steady decrease in the multimeter resistance reading.
a faulty thermistor. A steady reading that does not change, a reading of zero or a reading of infinity are all indications that the thermistor needs to be replaced. The change in reading will not be smooth or there will not be any change.

Reactions: gfreek and Bigbrat