25-pdvp combustion blower

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joelswork

Nov 9, 2010
central TN
Well guys, I'm back. I talked to Mike from englanderstoves before leaving and we narrowed it down to a poorly modified burn plate (whichever if fixed), a possible going combustion blower and a change from "b" to "c" in the control settings. Well, a few days of trying and we are a bit better but the clinkers are a huge problem. The pics from the link are after 18 hours on mostly settings 5-8, lots of ash in the heat exchanger and huge clinker build up (clean around the air holes every 3-5 hours). Burning somersets, so the pellet is good. What do y'all think?

http://www.photoshop.com/index.html...155b35afc144e21372c&wf=share&trackingid=ELSNR

The exhaust blower is making a high pitched whine too! Any after market blowers available? I have another one that came with the stove but the impeller looks pretty rusty, spins freely, but it looks bad. The suspission of the combustion/exhaust blower came from the amount of soot built up in the very short vent (3' out and 3' up) after the first day of the new venting. I took the vertical piece off and had a ton of ash fall out, and with the stove on, I could barely feel a breeze from the 3' horizontal piece. The OAK is hooked up and is clear, I checked with oak on and off, no difference in blower performance from the end of the vent. I just hate spending big bucks on a blower if I don't need one, no easy way to test is there?

Maybe it's me, but I don't see any clinkers in that ash.

Here's a pic of a clinker that Smokey posted a year or so ago....now THAT'S a clinker:

Attachments

• IM000590xxwp.jpg
    IM000590xxwp.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 294
Are you sure that the combustion blower that is currently on the unit the correct blower (size,rpm,etc.)? I'm just taking a shot in the dark.

I am not sure if it is correct or not, it came on the stove used, along with what appears to be the original in a box of miscellaneous parts. The previous owners son worked at englander so I was assuming it would be right. How would I tell?

The ash in the burn pot is actually solidified, not just ash! :) looks similar to what the other picture showed! :)

Not really sure how to tell except by going off of the numbers off the motor. I would assume it should look like the older style skeleton frame motor but I'm not 100% sure of that. Can you see any info on the motor?

I'd try both combustion blowers in a test jig, if it appears they run to full speed then you have the controller to look at or something is plugged up in the stove. If plugged it is between the beginning of air intake and the end of the vent.

Smokey, is it odd for that much ash to accumulate behind the baffle plate in less than a day? Every time I look, it's in the same spot...plugging things up. We don't seem to have enough air moving through the burn plate at the front of the stove, you can see the effects of the other airholes on the pellets as they burn, but not in the front?

I can't speak to the setup inside that stove under those ashes.

Anything that interferes with the delivery of combustion air can cause what you are seeing. That even includes bad gaskets.

If there isn't enough air getting through in the right places that stove will have trouble getting rid of the ash.

I've seen enough air go between a burn pot and its liner such that the burn pot fills with ash very fast. You saw the results of that earlier in this thread when imacman posted a clinker picture.

The only gasket I didn't replace was the burn pot gasket as suggested by Mike. I would pretty much have to tear down the entire stove because of how this one is constructed. I have it though...maybe later in this process. I did notice the excessive amount of carbon build up on the lower auger tube and auger tip (thanks to my own photos) that seems weird too. Well, take a more in depth look Friday....I have too much non paying work going on. I don't even have these kids yet and they are working me to death (sorry, mid adoption melt down) 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.