2nd year burning - dry wood works!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Moranaj

Oct 19, 2018
PA
Last year I had a tough time with my stove. I was able to get it to work with the less than desirable wood I had but it was a struggle. I took the advice of this board and tried to get ahead of the game. I have 4 cords of stacked oak from last year and another 4 cords of ash stacked for next year. The oak that is actually dried out this year rips. The stove cruises now at about 500 stove top with the air all the way down with strong secondaries. The difference this year is unreal in terms of ease of operation and I finally know what you guys are talking about. I hope that all the first time stove owners in the next few weeks who want to know why their stove isnt working read this and get to work for next year!

Attachments

• 20191108_192605.jpg
    20191108_192605.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 120
Amazing, isn't it?

Gotta have dry wood. Makes it so easy. Pays off with a cleaner chimney as well. Enjoy!

New stoves should all come with a pallet of sawdust bricks. Just add it to the retail price. Second year with mine and it’s just so much easier not burning wet wood.

evan

Reactions: Moranaj
Yes. It will also probably have me more enthusiastic to be processing wood since I can finally see the end result
Stacking wood is work, but trying then to burn that wood before it's dry is twice the work. ;lol

I remember my first year.. it was ok. I was splitting wood for a stove i havent even chosen yet. I had to split my wood smaller than i like also, to make sure i had burnable wood. My burn times werent that great but the wood burned well. We all have had some struggles when first starting out, some mor than others.. dry wood is great..i got my neighbor on board with this also.. hes working on his 2nd wood shed and he built his first kiln this summer to have dry wood..his burn times are longer and now has coles in the morning.... imagine that.....

New stoves should all come with a pallet of sawdust bricks. Just add it to the retail price. Second year with mine and it’s just so much easier not burning wet wood.

evan
You arent kidding... Ive been busier at work than ever and a lot of my free time this year went into prepping for winter. All the nights i had to set an alarm in the middle of the night for reloads.... now I have 4 inches of coals in the morning.

once you burn a whole winter with good dry wood it’s very motivating to keep ahead. What I like the most is how easy it is. I can have my summit up and cruising and the air shut down in 5-10 minutes on a reload and maybe 20 mins worst case on a cold start. Also my chimney never has anything but a light soot in it.

Reactions: Sawset