3/8 chain file?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

skinnykid

May 6, 2008
Next to a lake in NH
The guy at the Stihl dealer told me to sharpen a 3/8 chain I need to get the .404 file and guide. So I did, but was wondering is it the right size? did we miss understand each other?

Yes there was a misunderstanding somewhere. .404 is a chain size, not a file size. Assuming you have standard 3/8 chain, use a 7/32 or 13/64 file.

So I stopped back at the saw shop and verified that the .404 is the size I need. He told me yes and the difference between .404 and the 7/32 is very small. Like 15000 of an inch. He assured me that it would sharpen my chain just fine, so I left it at that.

Jack, do you have enough saws? Just checkin your signature.

True story: I have a very good Stihl dealer locally who, for whatever reason, is always trying to sell me one size too small file.

Weird, Eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.