3 mo old quad 1200 comes on by itself!...any thoughts before I call dealer?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

buffresources

Mar 3, 2014
sw missouri
We have a relatively new quad 1200 used about 2 months with no problems. Last night with temp in house at 75 with windows open we hear the blower on the stove start, pellets begin to drop, and ignition!
I looked at the remote thermostat and it said off with rh temp 75 degrees.

I punched thermo and it was already set at 60 but still the stove did not go off. Neither mode was showing ignition and I finally threw the wall switch to off, the stove went out and I went to bed. Didn't think to see if the red light was on calling for fire.

Turned power back on this morning and blower started up but no ignition yet (15 min). Inside temp at 75 and thermostat off.

Any thoughts?

I'd suspect a thermostat issue....put the original quad mechanical thermostat back on and see if the problem recurrs.

we had an option of using the wall thermostat that came with the unit of a remote...we chose the remote....it has about 2 months use...we did not "replace" the thermostat.

I am not sure where any "receiver" batteries would be? I can change the remote batteries however if you think that would make a difference.

This is the first time anything like this has occurred since we got the stove 2 months ago.

did call the dealer...they said to re-program the thermostat but the "box" is behind the shroud so the stove has to be pulled out

their answer was if it does it again they will come and replace the thermostat...its' about 140 rt from our place

Did the red 'call' light come on this morning? That needs to be answered.

ultimately you're right, chickenman, but it would be nice to give them some symptoms before they get there. It might be the thermostat or it might be the control box depending on whether the call light came on or not. Give them symptoms and then it's up to them whether they want them or not.

Unfortunately, here in the US, HHT has NOTHING to do with the customer. It is the individual retailer who sold him his stove who is on the hook. HHT, I believe, reimburses him some meager amount for a service call. My money would be on the service guy not even having a pcb in hand when he shows up at the door and also the stove will work normally. Sad but true. Not everyone is as devoted as you are. Want to move to the US?
Still would like to know if that call light came on.
Also, when my remote receiver was inside of my insert's cast iron frame work, the range of the transmitter went down significantly. I'm surprised they put it behind the metal shroud. It's a great Faraday cage!.

Status
Not open for further replies.