3 things that made you a better cook

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
we tried it in the deep fryer to the temp required. I think the lard idea sounds better and probably in a cast iron skillet maybe?

When we tried the donuts, we are pretty surprised with the taste. Kinda like expecting to drink spite but drinking vinegar instead.
oof! that wouldn't be pleasant at all! ...and yes, cast iron makes everything taste better :)

Reactions: Vg3200p
I have spent recent years trying to increase my protein intake. Eggs, dozens per week for just me. I learned that non stick skillets wear out. They become sticky. Not because of scratches or dirt but just wear. Replace as needed. I don’t have time for cast iron.

Good knives. They’re really not that expensive and you only need a few. I’m a fan of victorinox. At first because I’m Swiss but they turned out to be every bit as good as a nice henkels. I use a sharpening steel every time.

Grind your own meat. No pink slime in this house. We buy restaurant packages of bulk choice beef and grind at home with a big #12 LEM grinder. In fact, I’m about to grind an entire deer this evening with a coworker. The taste and texture of home ground meat is much different than the playdough from the grocery store.

image.jpg

Reactions: Vg3200p and EbS-P
I have spent recent years trying to increase my protein intake. Eggs, dozens per week for just me. I learned that non stick skillets wear out. They become sticky. Not because of scratches or dirt but just wear. Replace as needed. I don’t have time for cast iron.

Good knives. They’re really not that expensive and you only need a few. I’m a fan of victorinox. At first because I’m Swiss but they turned out to be every bit as good as a nice henkels. I use a sharpening steel every time.

Grind your own meat. No pink slime in this house. We buy restaurant packages of bulk choice beef and grind at home with a big #12 LEM grinder. In fact, I’m about to grind an entire deer this evening with a coworker. The taste and texture of home ground meat is much different than the playdough from the grocery store.

View attachment 301992
I’m going to get a new knife or two for Xmas. I have a bad habit of just putting everything in the dishwasher New one will need to be nice enough to keep that from happening.

Other than a chef knife what’s your favorite shape/type?

I’m going to get a new knife or two for Xmas. I have a bad habit of just putting everything in the dishwasher New one will need to be nice enough to keep that from happening.

Other than a chef knife what’s your favorite shape/type?
When I ate bread I really liked the big serrated bread knife. Pictured. I only own those two and a nice set of henckels German steak knifes.

My next victorinox will probably be a breaking knife. Thinner blade than a chef knife so more maneuverable. We buy restaurant loads of untrimmed tri tip roasts which take a lot of trimming to make perfect. I also buy whole pork loins and slice them into steaks/chops.

These aren’t that expensive but they do get hand washed. One of those magnetic wall knife holders would be cool.

image.jpg

Reactions: EbS-P
  1. Having to cook. When I moved out of my parent's house it was either learn how to cook or starve.
  2. The Professional Chef published by the Culinary Institute of America. The technical aspects of ingredients and food prep.
  3. The right equipment. Hardware and software. Ingredients, thermometer, cookware.