What size stove? My head is spinning, so many things to consider...regional weather, size of home, etc.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

zephyr0512

Dec 29, 2020
Pensacola FL
I’ve been searching and reading and searching and reading till my head is about to explode. I know, from what I’ve read, that some here can’t stand long posts. So, sorry in advance. I guess I’ll get the message based on the reponses I get. LOL. It’s about size and if I should go cast or steel, basically.

No, I am not in a climate where I would need an extremely hot fire 6-10 months out of the year. I am in Pensacola FL, mainly during the winter months. I leave when this place gets hot and muggy. I was thinking, if I described my home conditions during the colder months, maybe I can get some guidance on sizing, which might be best, cast or steel. Looks like brands area more a matter of choice, appeal, quality of build, which I want a well built stove that will last till death do us part. Well. Here goes...

The next few days it will dip down to as low as 20 F, with highs around 45. By next week, we’re talking 41 to 65, then it will dip again; this is the pattern here during winter months. Humidity is almost always high, between 80 - 100, with winds and gusts from 2/3 mph on upwards of 30, out of hurricane season. This pattern will run from mid Oct thru Mar, usually, but can stretch both ways a few weeks. There has been snow flurries here, the last leaving about an inch for the night and early am hrs. So, we do not have real winters here, to speak of, but it gets COLD, and the cold lasts for a few months with varrying fluctuations.

All that said to say this, I am reading that there needs to be serious consideration for the size of the stove based on regional weather patterns, which I get. But, many here would suggest that bigger is always better, because bigger can accomodate small to larger fires as needed/wanted, while small can not; with small, you get what you get and no more. This does make sense, but I do not know if this is a fact for stoves given the area it needs to heat. Then I need to factor in the size and style of the home, the amount of insulation. Well, ok. I am a new comer and I’m working hard to figure these things out, before I drop hard earned money on the table.

The house is a single story, 2100 sq foot rancher, brick veneer, well insulated, as it has open cell sprayed on foam on the inside roof deck; this usually keeps a difference of about 10 f between the attic space and inside of the house. The walls are fiberglass pink stuff, and all windows and doors, to include the garage doors ( 2 singles) are high E, tinted, hurricane rated (160 mph) units. Roof pitch is 5/12, for a low profile in high windy conditions. We run ceiling fan’s in each room on low all summer long just to keep the air moving around, while the HVAC cycles at around 70 f, which keeps the house at a very comfortable feel even though it’s 85-95 w /100% humidity. We have a 3.5 ton HVAC system, along with two mini splits, one in the master suite and one in the guest BR, for AC comfort during the summer. The mini’s run when we really want to sleep cold.

We use two electric oil filled radiator heaters to do the supplemental heating in the master suit and one in the main area of the house, mainly to keep the chilled cold spots out. The HVAC is usually set at around 66 f, and cycles sufficiently to be able to feel comfortable with a long sleeve on, sometimes a sweater. But, all of this is not good enough for me, husband and I.

The old fireplace insert is out, and we really need to find a stove we can enjoy. A licensed, insured, experienced chimney and stove contractor is coming out to look at our project next week, and he asks that we have some idea of which stove we’re going with, so he can assess the project build. The remodeling contractor is ready to do the redo and he needs to know which stove. I am still undecided and digging, pulling my hair our now.

I’m looking at non-catalytic, no blower, straight single wall pipe inside. Flat top for setting pots/cooking on. Easy to start and control. Ash drawer. Glass front for breathtaking views. Osburn, Regency, Lopi, mainly are the ones I’ve looked at. Medium size, but not sure, can go larger; I don’t see that much difference.

Burn times? Would be great to go 8 hrs, have warm coals to restart in the am, for sure.

Suggestions/directions...

Size?
Cast or steel?

Thanks!

Welcome to the Forums !!! ;)

Always nice to see another Sistah here !!

Rough house layout, pics of said FP would help a ton.
I’m looking at non-catalytic, no blower, straight single wall pipe inside. Flat top for setting pots/cooking on. Easy to start and control. Ash drawer. Glass front for breathtaking views. Osburn, Regency, Lopi, mainly are the ones I’ve looked at. Medium size, but not sure, can go larger; I don’t see that much difference.

Burn times? Would be great to go 8 hrs, have warm coals to restart in the am, for sure.

This is where your decisions will come in. IE , give up "A", to get "B".

Why no blower/fan?

To be honest, an insert with a flat top is not going to give you many cooking options (IMHO).

Let the games begin !!!!!!! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: zephyr0512
As a fellow southern burner I will start by saying is spent $6k on a stove in 2018. Even with feee wood for the last 4 years I’m not sure I will ever break even in the investment. I like it so much that I spent another 2k last fall for another. 2000 sq ft ranch here excel the insulation is stock 1968. I can heat the 2000 sq ft down to 25 with 1.7 cu ft but when it’s that cold is reloading every 4-5 hours. I can get 6-7 with enough coals to reload but. Here’s what a southerner should understand, lightning a top down fire every day, even twice a day is normal.

I have a stove in a fireplace and an insert both need the blowers and I run the stove blower on an inaudible setting most of the the time.

Cooking on a stove is over rated. Get a good grill or a solo stove. Or a Coleman camp stove. Not saying it’s not a good idea. It just limits choices.

I had didn’t want to add any floor protection in front of the hearth. So the glass had to be even with the bricks. And I wanted white. So I had one choice. It’s worked well. With it was a 2+ cu ft stove but it’s only needed 7-10 days a year.

If I were to do it again. I’d do a Pacific energy T5 insert or a blaze king Ashford. We don’t really need the low and slow of BK. The heatpumps work just fine.

Build a woodshed.

Welcome to the Forums !!! ;)

Always nice to see another Sistah here !!

Rough house layout, pics of said FP would help a ton.

This is where your decisions will come in. IE , give up "A", to get "B".

Why no blower/fan?

To be honest, an insert with a flat top is not going to give you many cooking options (IMHO).

Let the games begin !!!!!!! :)
Greetings! At this very moment I’m sitting down here at Travis Air Force Base in/near Fairfield CA. Not my favorite place to be, but as I am in the AF, I go where I’m told. No matter. I’d much rather be in FL, where I can control the contractor’s every move! Hubby is down there, and I’m certain he’s burning logs in the firepit out front, and indulging in some, Deschutes Imperial Porters, and without ME! LOL!

Anyway, here is a link to my initial post with pics. Hope this helps:

No blower because I don’t want the noise.
It’s not an insert. It will be a free standing stove. As such, I hope to get a skillet hot and toss some pancakes on them, eventually.

As a fellow southern burner I will start by saying is spent $6k on a stove in 2018. Even with feee wood for the last 4 years I’m not sure I will ever break even in the investment. I like it so much that I spent another 2k last fall for another. 2000 sq ft ranch here excel the insulation is stock 1968. I can heat the 2000 sq ft down to 25 with 1.7 cu ft but when it’s that cold is reloading every 4-5 hours. I can get 6-7 with enough coals to reload but. Here’s what a southerner should understand, lightning a top down fire every day, even twice a day is normal.

I have a stove in a fireplace and an insert both need the blowers and I run the stove blower on an inaudible setting most of the the time.

Cooking on a stove is over rated. Get a good grill or a solo stove. Or a Coleman camp stove. Not saying it’s not a good idea. It just limits choices.

I had didn’t want to add any floor protection in front of the hearth. So the glass had to be even with the bricks. And I wanted white. So I had one choice. It’s worked well. With it was a 2+ cu ft stove but it’s only needed 7-10 days a year.

If I were to do it again. I’d do a Pacific energy T5 insert or a blaze king Ashford. We don’t really need the low and slow of BK. The heatpumps work just fine.

Build a woodshed.
Yes, a wood shed. I hope my hubby is doing just that. He’s got wood stacked up on the fence line head high and 20’ long. He uses this pile for his outdoor firepit. He cracks me up. Runs around collecting every stick of wood for that pit every chance he gets! He promised to build a shed, start gathering hardwood and drying it up for the day we get this stove project done. He better get it done.

So, we’re doing a free standing stove, can’t do the fireplace insert anymore; it’s boring, and an unpleasant waste of energy and time. I’d rather sit outside by the firepit. So, we’re tearing it all out, which most of it should be done by now, and we’re rebuilding the walls and doing the stove. Can hardly wait! Just have to find a stove!

Not sure if you will need to start it up in the morning...if Temps go to 60s you might get a greenhouse effect and with good insulation you may not need the run the stove during the daytime.

With the ceiling fans on I think a medium will work fine, but yes it would likely look better to get the biggest one you can fit in the space.

But why not another insert? An insert with a blower with be enough as well.

Yes, a wood shed. I hope my hubby is doing just that. He’s got wood stacked up on the fence line head high and 20’ long. He uses this pile for his outdoor firepit. He cracks me up. Runs around collecting every stick of wood for that pit every chance he gets! He promised to build a shed, start gathering hardwood and drying it up for the day we get this stove project done. He better get it done.

So, we’re doing a free standing stove, can’t do the fireplace insert anymore; it’s boring, and an unpleasant waste of energy and time. I’d rather sit outside by the firepit. So, we’re tearing it all out, which most of it should be done by now, and we’re rebuilding the walls and doing the stove. Can hardly wait! Just have to find a stove!
So stoves, T5 and Ashford stove versions, are still my choice for classic looks.

On Travis AFB. My dad, 1919 - 2010, was flight engineer on Gen. Travis' B-17 stateside. Will post a link to dad's WWIi photos tomorrow.

A 2 cu ft stove will do the job well. Look at the Lopi Endeavor, PE Super, and Quad 3100.

I’ve been searching and reading and searching and reading till my head is about to explode. I know, from what I’ve read, that some here can’t stand long posts. So, sorry in advance. I guess I’ll get the message based on the reponses I get. LOL. It’s about size and if I should go cast or steel, basically.

No, I am not in a climate where I would need an extremely hot fire 6-10 months out of the year. I am in Pensacola FL, mainly during the winter months. I leave when this place gets hot and muggy. I was thinking, if I described my home conditions during the colder months, maybe I can get some guidance on sizing, which might be best, cast or steel. Looks like brands area more a matter of choice, appeal, quality of build, which I want a well built stove that will last till death do us part. Well. Here goes...

The next few days it will dip down to as low as 20 F, with highs around 45. By next week, we’re talking 41 to 65, then it will dip again; this is the pattern here during winter months. Humidity is almost always high, between 80 - 100, with winds and gusts from 2/3 mph on upwards of 30, out of hurricane season. This pattern will run from mid Oct thru Mar, usually, but can stretch both ways a few weeks. There has been snow flurries here, the last leaving about an inch for the night and early am hrs. So, we do not have real winters here, to speak of, but it gets COLD, and the cold lasts for a few months with varrying fluctuations.

All that said to say this, I am reading that there needs to be serious consideration for the size of the stove based on regional weather patterns, which I get. But, many here would suggest that bigger is always better, because bigger can accomodate small to larger fires as needed/wanted, while small can not; with small, you get what you get and no more. This does make sense, but I do not know if this is a fact for stoves given the area it needs to heat. Then I need to factor in the size and style of the home, the amount of insulation. Well, ok. I am a new comer and I’m working hard to figure these things out, before I drop hard earned money on the table.

The house is a single story, 2100 sq foot rancher, brick veneer, well insulated, as it has open cell sprayed on foam on the inside roof deck; this usually keeps a difference of about 10 f between the attic space and inside of the house. The walls are fiberglass pink stuff, and all windows and doors, to include the garage doors ( 2 singles) are high E, tinted, hurricane rated (160 mph) units. Roof pitch is 5/12, for a low profile in high windy conditions. We run ceiling fan’s in each room on low all summer long just to keep the air moving around, while the HVAC cycles at around 70 f, which keeps the house at a very comfortable feel even though it’s 85-95 w /100% humidity. We have a 3.5 ton HVAC system, along with two mini splits, one in the master suite and one in the guest BR, for AC comfort during the summer. The mini’s run when we really want to sleep cold.

We use two electric oil filled radiator heaters to do the supplemental heating in the master suit and one in the main area of the house, mainly to keep the chilled cold spots out. The HVAC is usually set at around 66 f, and cycles sufficiently to be able to feel comfortable with a long sleeve on, sometimes a sweater. But, all of this is not good enough for me, husband and I.

The old fireplace insert is out, and we really need to find a stove we can enjoy. A licensed, insured, experienced chimney and stove contractor is coming out to look at our project next week, and he asks that we have some idea of which stove we’re going with, so he can assess the project build. The remodeling contractor is ready to do the redo and he needs to know which stove. I am still undecided and digging, pulling my hair our now.

Suggestions/directions...

Size?
Cast or steel?

Thanks!
Just get a Jøtul F 500 Oslo V3 and be done with it

Not sure if you will need to start it up in the morning...if Temps go to 60s you might get a greenhouse effect and with good insulation you may not need the run the stove during the daytime.

With the ceiling fans on I think a medium will work fine, but yes it would likely look better to get the biggest one you can fit in the space.

But why not another insert? An insert with a blower with be enough as well.
The chase of the fireplace is huge, it takes up a lot of floor space in a very odd location, between the den and the LR. We’re opening up the floor plan and trying to gain back the space some, make it feel more open. We feel that the stove route will allow us the space, maintian the fire heating ability and give us the ambience we want.

I feel like we would generally use the stove for heating during the evenings and am the most, so like use it during the day.

Thanks!

On Travis AFB. My dad, 1919 - 2010, was flight engineer on Gen. Travis' B-17 stateside. Will post a link to dad's WWIi photos tomorrow.
Thats’ cool!
Both of our dads are retired Army. My dad was a pilot, flew OH58 helo’s and OV-1 Mohawk fixed wing in Vietnam. He was Commander of Army Aviation at Ft Rucker. My father in-law was an Army LRRP (Long Range Recon Patrol), three tours in Vietnam. His stories would raise the hairs on your neck. Hubby was an Army 97B, now Med retired. He stays close to a fire, as often as he can. ;)

Reactions: PaulOinMA
Here are my dad's WWII photos: https://www.vwvortex.com/threads/my-fathers-wwii-photos.4950641/#post-66572584.

Some of dad's things when he was at Republic Aviation and Sikorsky Aircraft. I used to wear the F-105 cufflinks. The person that does the F-105 web site never saw them before.

The crash the killed Gen Travis in 1950.

My dad had secret clearance. He inquired about the circumstances whereby Gen. Travis was killed, as he flew with him during WWII. Was only told that it was a nuclear incident and don't ask any more questions.

Here are my dad's WWII photos: https://www.vwvortex.com/threads/my-fathers-wwii-photos.4950641/#post-66572584.

Some of dad's things when he was at Republic Aviation and Sikorsky Aircraft. I used to wear the F-105 cufflinks. The person that does the F-105 web site never saw them before.

The crash the killed Gen Travis in 1950.

My dad had secret clearance. He inquired about the circumstances whereby Gen. Travis was killed, as he flew with him during WWII. Was only told that it was a nuclear incident and don't ask any more questions.
First two links go to a VW site. No info there. Third one shows the accident, which was a horrible incident! I read about this at the museum here. Sad.

A 2 cu ft stove will do the job well. Look at the Lopi Endeavor, PE Super, and Quad 3100.
My husband likes the Lopi Endeavor; his first choice. What’s the shelf on the back for? A baffle? I wonder which is the easiest to use and control? I like the “greenstart” feature of the Endeavor!

My husband likes the Lopi Endeavor; his first choice. What’s the shelf on the back for? A baffle? I wonder which is the easiest to use and control? I like the “greenstart” feature of the Endeavor!
F500 V3 has had some negative reviews. I would take the Lopi, PE, or quad before the F500.

Lopi makes good stoves and the Endeavor is a classic. It has what is known as a step-top. It provides two different surface temps if one is cooking on it. The Quadrafire Millenium 3100 is also available in this configuration. The baffle and firebox of the PE Super (or Alderlea T5) are better designed and lower maintenance, but I would not hesitate to get the Lopi if that is all that is locally available.

Lopi makes good stoves and the Endeavor is a classic. It has what is known as a step-top. It provides two different surface temps if one is cooking on it. The Quadrafire Millenium 3100 is also available in this configuration. The baffle and firebox of the PE Super (or Alderlea T5) are better designed and lower maintenance, but I would not hesitate to get the Lopi if that is all that is locally available.
I will check out the PE Super and Alderlea T5! Thank you!

I just got the Lopi Endeavor installed last week and it's heating my 2200sq ft house nicely. The dog is also a big fan of the stove.

PXL_20221223_195657048.jpg