30-NC Airwash: Is this typical?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CenterTree

Minister of Fire
Sep 15, 2008
SouthWest-Central PA
Just got to wondering if my Englander 30NC is functioning "normal" as far as the airwash is concerned.

I am wondering if others are having BETTER/cleaner glass with their unit than I am.
I have nothing to compare to, so I don't know what should be expected.
Thanks.

The PICs are in order of how the glass progresses throughout the burn cycle.

I start with crystal clear glass and all stays good until I close the primary and the secondary burn kicks in.
Then (as you can see) the glass steadily forms a "U" shaped brown haze on it.
The brown is darkest at the bottom and not opaque, but rather transparent (sort of a root-beer color)

During the coaling stage the brown seems to burn away somewhat, but never completely. (see last pic)

Attachments

• P2149482.JPG
    P2149482.JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 160
  • P2149490.JPG
    P2149490.JPG
    126 KB · Views: 177
  • P2149470.JPG
    P2149470.JPG
    157.6 KB · Views: 174
  • P2149491.JPG
    P2149491.JPG
    163.8 KB · Views: 200
  • P2149476.JPG
    P2149476.JPG
    139.9 KB · Views: 158
Try leaving the air control open just a touch more,,,, extra 1/16-1/8 inch

When you close the air control, what you are doing is cutting back the air wash air.

For me, I get a white haze on the door if I put a piece of wood right in front of the dog house air. If I leave a bit of a gap between splits in front of that air inlet, things stay much clearer.

Reactions: CenterTree
Try leaving the air control open just a touch more,,,, extra 1/16-1/8 inch

When you close the air control, what you are doing is cutting back the air wash air.

For me, I get a white haze on the door if I put a piece of wood right in front of the dog house air. If I leave a bit of a gap between splits in front of that air inlet, things stay much clearer.
Yeah, I really have played with it so much to find that perfect burn. It seems that even an 1/8 can at times make a big difference.
Sometimes it can be the difference between the stove being able to cruise steady or pressing into the "overfire" zone. ( i mean it seems I HAVE TO close it the whole way or bad things will happen.)

I also get that white haze with each burn. And as you mentioned, I do usually have a split directly in front of the doghouse. I will try adjusting it from now on...thanks.

I'm still new with this stove - just 10 days - but I get creosote on the glass only when starting from cold. Once the stove gets up to temperature it burns off completely. It does leave a whitish haze on the glass, though; just like every other stove I've ever used.

Watch the ends of the splits for bubbling or sizzling. There may be some water boiling off until the wood gets hot enough to combust.

I get no brown on the glass unless I shut the air control too much. Not even with wet wood. You are simply running her too low to keep the glass clean. Might be a necessary evil for your install.

Mine only gets black on the window when the wood is either too wet or the temperature differential is not large enough between outside and inside...and that is just a draft issue.

I agree with you, it is easy to get into an overdraft situation with the air even a little on and a full load. I had that happen over the weekend when we had really cold temps. The draft was insane and even when I cut the air all the way off, it was still quite the inferno...secondaries blow torch.

Every situation is different. If you can run a little more air, try it. IMO, I try to run a little on the safe side and let the window take care if itself. Overall, I'm amazed how clear the glass stays. I clean mine about once a month...if that.

Anything in front of the "doghouse" causes the air to ricochet back on the glass defeating the air wash. No matter where the primary air control is set. When I was burning N/S with the doghouse air blocked off I only wiped a light haze off of the glass once a month or so. Burning E/W with it open again it is a daily exercise. Just a haze.

Status
Not open for further replies.