30 - NC burning too hot?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

UAmember

Aug 28, 2017
Northwest IL
I have a bunch of silver maple that was cut, split and stacked too late to burn this season. Up until now I have had a hard time hitting 450F stovetop temps and getting a secondary burn was a fluke, if not an accident. We are expecting some wet weather Sunday, so I brought a bunch of wood inside near the stove on Friday. HOLY SMOKES! This stove is a beast! 97F in the stove room now. My question is I have heard you are overfiring a stove if it glows. Does this apply to the secondary burn tubes and the ceramic board above it? At one point I could not get the secondaries to not work and the the tubes and ceramic board were also glowing. Quite a difference from the wet wood burn I had this morning.

The glowing sec tubes are a sign that you are running the stove very hot, past the 650 deg stove top temp zone. I would cut the air down earlier, The have been some cases that owners of this fine unit have warped inside pieces such as the air wash lip, dog house and the long flat L piece that is on the bottom between the door and dog house. Try cutting the air lower and get a stove top thermometer so you can judge your burns better, its best to stay between 500 - 600 deg on the stove top.

Here’s my nc30 this weekend. Pipe surfac temps under 300, glowing baffle and tubes. Stove temp about 700. This “the zone”!

Attachments

• 4603FF0E-7E1B-4764-B2C1-DC82D69A027F.jpeg
    4603FF0E-7E1B-4764-B2C1-DC82D69A027F.jpeg
    81.9 KB · Views: 161
Here’s my nc30 this weekend. Pipe surfac temps under 300, glowing baffle and tubes. Stove temp about 700. This “the zone”!
Thanks, Highbeam. As I said my wood is too wet, but the other day I must have found the dry spot in the stack and I found out this stove loves to cruise right at 700 or so. All the glowing parts just had me a little freaked out.

Reactions: Highbeam
As others have said, I get mine glowing all the time. I have ran my stove too hot (Air wash lip and flame impingment baffle above tubes are both warped) and it's easy to do when temperatures get cold. But even if the hot spot on my stove doesn't go much over 750, I still have glowing tubes and baffle boards after awhile.