30-NC vs Lopi Endeavor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jerseyben

Aug 15, 2014
NJ
Hello all, shopping for a wood stove. Have used hearth.com to do a massive amount of research.

Have narrowed it down to 2 wood stoves: 30-NC or Lopi Endeavor.

Willing to consider other suggestions using the following criteria:

-Must heat between 1200-2000 sqft
-Rear wall clearance around 15" or less
-Firebox size 2.2 cu ft or bigger (preferred)
-Non catalyst only
-Under $2500 or so
-Must have legs (no pedestal base)

Have found nothing but awesome reviews for the 30-NC but the Lopi looks nice as well. Cannot see a reason to go one over the other. The Lopi is more expensive and has a smaller firebox. Perhaps I am missing something that is notable?

Thanks for your suggestions.
-Ben

Both great wood stoves. The Lopi should do a little better in the convection heat department because of the standard side shields feeding heated air up and into the convection deck cleverly disguised as a step top on the Endeavor. Side shields for the 30 are a tad over a hundred bucks extra and don't have the finished look of the ones on the Endeavor. Also the Lopi has a damper that can be opened for easier start-up fires. Because the Endeavor is really a flat top stove with no step bend for strengthening it has a 5/16" thick top plate which is a hair thicker than the 1/4" top plate on the 30.

Either stove will get'er done. Longer burn times with the 30 just because you can load more wood into it.

im with BB on this one , both my 30 and the Lopi are quality stoves, each has its "good points" and its "better points" being as I have "a dog in the fight" im not picking sides, but I will say you cant go wrong with either unit. Lopi makes some great stuff.

I have a 30, and my parents have the Lopi. They like mine better "burns twice as well, for half the price" :cool: BUT, that is mostly because I know how to burn the stove properly, and they're still trying to burn theirs like their old smoke monster. The only time I have thick black stuff on my glass is when they run mine :eek:

That being said, after using theirs, there is something that bugged me about the Lopi: The ash shelf is right below the door, so any embers/coals that fall out need to be moved.. somewhere... before you close the door, otherwise they get smashed between the stove and the door gasket.

On the 30, there's a few inches there, so you can close the door, then deal with the runaway coals.

Also, to go N/S loading on the Lopi, your splits have to be really short (like 12-14"). And the latch on the 30 is much nicer, in their opinion.

im with BB on this one , both my 30 and the Lopi are quality stoves, each has its "good points" and its "better points" being as I have "a dog in the fight" im not picking sides, but I will say you cant go wrong with either unit. Lopi makes some great stuff.

Now there is an honest post - not surprised at by whom it was posted by but geesh - can's get anymore real than that!!

I love my 30 but have never run a Lopi. The ash lip would be enough to sway me if all things were equal regarding size but they are not. I like being able to go NS or EW with equally ridiculously huge splits!!

They are both good steel stoves. Each has its strengths and you would like either one, but there are distinct differences. The 30NC is a third larger, but a value stove. In order to sell it for such a great price some compromise has to be made. For example, the 30NC baffle is made from a somewhat fragile ceramic board. The Endeavor uses robust firebrick and as noted, the 30NC doesn't have a flue bypass damper like the Lopi. That said it is hard to beat the value of the big Englander. It sets a high standard and there are a lot of happy owners here.

Status
Not open for further replies.