36" bar

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashful

Minister of Fire
Mar 7, 2012
Philadelphia
I've decided it's time to buy a bigger bar for some of these 50"+ trees I've been tackling. Someday I might buy that 100cc+ power head, but for now I'll be running it on my 85cc Stihl 064. Stihl rates this saw to run a 42" bar, so it should pull 36" full comp okay.

My saws are all set up for 0.375" x 0.050" chain. I see many of the 36" bars are 0.063", but there are also many options in 0.050". I'm assuming the rim sprocket I keep on the 064 (for my 28" bar) will only run 0.050", but I've not looked into that.

Advice? I'm inclined to stick with 0.375" x 0.050", unless there's some very good reason I should move up to 0.063" and/or 0.404" for the bigger bar. I'd also appreciate any advice (from experience) running skip vs. full comp with this combo of power and bar length. I'm cutting almost exclusively oak and ash.

Thanks!

I would stay with the 0.050. If you go to the 0.063 do you have to change your sprocket?? I think the sprocket will run the larger chain though but not sure? If you need to change the sprocket for gearing for the larger bar that may not matter anyway, but i have no idea and am just rambeling

Reactions: smokinj
That's a lot of bar for that saw unless your cutting christmas trees. I'd go full skip 3/8" and watch your oil output.

Reactions: Thistle
Yea I would be thinking 32 inch bar that gets you at-least to a 74 inch tree. You will need a back hoe to move a round that size. Full Skipper chain to! :) (I run 28 and a 32) 4 inchs is more than enough to make the cut.

I use full skip chain exclusively on all bars over 24",gives me a bit more engine power,clears chips faster & takes less time to sharpen.

My 36 & 42 bars are .063 gauge, 3/8 pitch. The vintage 30" roller nose on the Mac 125 is .404/.063,that basically makes mulch.::-)

That's a lot of bar for that saw unless your cutting christmas trees. I'd go full skip 3/8" and watch your oil output.

Is it really? That saw is like a light saber with 28" full comp, and Stihl spec's it to run 42". I'd think it'd do okay with 36" (or better, 32").

Yea I would be thinking 32 inch bar that gets you at-least to a 74 inch tree. You will need a back hoe to move a round that size. Full Skipper chain to! :) (I run 28 and a 32) 4 inchs is more than enough to make the cut.

32" is perhaps what I should've had them put on this saw when I bought it, but I went 28" for better weight and speed. I figured with a 28" already on-hand, a 32" seems redundant. My reasoning for a 36" is partly so that I can take trees up to 36" from one position. I come across too many that are easy to cut from one side, and downright dangerous (no escape path) from the other.

The 064 got enough torque to do it just not going to be hauling butt. What is the max rpm rating on an 064?

Reactions: Ashful
What is the max rpm rating on an 064?

Found a few interesting posts over at AS:

Moe said:
064 is a wonderfull saw.... I had a 460 for a while. The 064 didn't seem much heavier or clumsier but it has noticably more grunt.

Trigger Time said:
I bought a new 460 then ended up with 064 that need a PC kit. Popped an OEM PC kit on the old girl.............Sold the 460!

Camel Joe said:
Running saws:
064 36"
056 36"
046 28"
041 32"
038 24"
034 20"
028 18"
026 18"
021 16"
018c 12"
ts-400 14"
XL-12 24"

Reactions: ScotO and smokinj
Also found this response to a question I posted some time ago, about buying a bigger bar for this saw (which I obviously never got around to doing):

36" .063 gauge bar & full skip chain on that saw will rock your world.....::-)

Reactions: ScotO

Found a few interesting posts over at AS:

He darn sure never ran my 460 I running 13800 rpm.....But it should do it fine.

Also found this response to a question I posted some time ago, about buying a bigger bar for this saw (which I obviously never got around to doing):
And it will too. Certainly not quite as much fun as a 100cc+ saw,but will work nicely.

Reactions: ScotO and Ashful
I think you'd do okay with a 36" bar on that 064. Especially if you find an early 066 top end to squash on there. ;lol. Seriously tho, 36" should be well within that saws range.

I would do 3/8" and skip pattern chain for it for chip clearing reasons. Your rim sprocket will run whatever gauge you want to throw on it. Match the chain to the bar and the sprocket will be fine unless you change pitch.

36" I'd give a "light" bar some consideration.

Another vote for full skip chain. My 064 will run .050 3/8 skip well on a 32'bar, & I bet it would do fine at 36". Plenty of saw, but I still want a 100cc power head some day. A C

Your missing out on a lot of fun....If you can pull a full comp pull it. ;) Now 36 inch on a 064 maybe not. But a 880 will pull full comp 41 inch with ease.

460 28 inch full comp. Very clean wood. Red Oak Good clean wood and full comp makes chicken bedding quick!

10517_103445316332150_100000000464379_94970_6245138_n.jpg

880 41 inch bar Clean wood full comp another Red. I had chips up to my knees on each full cut.

Attachments

• zz.jpg
    zz.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 204
Reactions: ScotO
I wouldn't go with any more cutters than you need to, unless you have a chain grinder. One guy's opinion.

Okay, guys. Trying to spend a ton on a bar, but still wanting a pro (solid) bar with sprocket nose, what do you think of this combo?

Carlton 36" Speed Tip Chainsaw Bar for Stihl (3642A3114ST) 114 Drive Links
36" Oregon Chainsaw Chain Loop, full chisel, skip (75JGX-114 Drive Links)

I do have a chain grinder.

Do you have a link to exactly what your looking at?

Looks good to me.......

Here ya go - http://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=236&item=687 Oregon Power Match bar $91.95

http://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=312&item=345 Oregon 75JGX 114 drive links $27.95

Plus every order at TreeStuff.com $100 or more has FREE shipping.I can order from them on Monday morning,the package will be on my front step Wednesday afternoon ;) Baileys is great (And I just bought 4 Woodland Pro ripping chains from them last month) but their shipping is outrageous & I usually have to wait 7-10 days for items to arrive,even in stock merchandise.

Thistle is right...... but I do remember seeing a recent free shipping promo from Baileys. Otherwise, when you put that bar in your shopping cart, get ready to faint when the shipping charge shows up. I use Baileys as a last resort for chainsaw parts because of this.

Thanks, guys! Actually, I'll almost certainly buy this from my local Stihl dealer, was just using Bailey's for the spec's. My local dealer's prices tend to be better than Bailey's, they almost always have what I need in stock (so no shipping), and they're a huge help with advice.

edit: Just called my local Stihl dealer. They have the Stihl Rollomatic ES 36" x 0.050" x 0.375" in stock for $80. Even cheaper than the Carlton at Bailey's! Maybe I'll try a grease-less bar, after all.

Go with the Stihl chain, much better & longer lasting than Oregon, don't worry about the nose sprocket, they last. Peg the oiler & pull the trigger. A C

Good to know! I confirmed my local dealer has a spool of 3/8" 0.050" full chisel skip, but did not ask what brand. They seem to carry Stihl, Husqvarna, Oregon, and Carlton equally, so I can ask for Stihl, but I'll likely be buying whatever he has on the spool!

They sell 28" loops of Stihl 33-RSC for about $19, and 20" loops for about $17, with a deal of 3 for the price of 2 chains. That puts the loop price at $13 and $11, respectively. A pretty good deal, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.