372xp or 372xp

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I've run a dual port muffler on my Stihl that was from a rescue saw I believe. I may do this one like the xtorq saw he had through the muffler brace.

Those saws run darn good stock and are not obnoxiously noisy doing so.

It's an old school husky mid-size saw. It's a screamer stock.

It's kind of amusing that for years the huskies were factory tuned to be screamers while the stihls were torquers. In recent times that has switched. Weird.

Reactions: all night moe
Jftr, I doubt you'll get anything but noise with a muffler mod on that saw. It's just an empty box with two decent sized holes in it already.

you could probably buy a chinese muffler with big holes in it for really cheap. I got one for my epa jonny 2152 because the stock one is a pita to rip the epa guts out of it (and the stock muffler holds WAY too much heat). The chinese one appears to be very similar quality to the original. I've been running it for idk, 40 hrs or so. It was from an outfit called I think "hippa" (iirc) on amazon. One of the better chinese suppliers I think?

yup, I checked amazon. There are lots of choices for about 20 bucks. Didn't see hippa tho..

Last edited:
Jftr, I doubt you'll get anything but noise with a muffler mod on that saw. It's just an empty box with two decent sized holes in it already.

you could probably buy a chinese muffler with big holes in it for really cheap. I got one for my epa jonny 2152 because the stock one is a pita to rip the epa guts out of it (and the stock muffler holds WAY too much heat). The chinese one appears to be very similar quality to the original. I've been running it for idk, 40 hrs or so. It was from an outfit called I think "hippa" (iirc) on amazon. One of the better chinese suppliers I think?

yup, I checked amazon. There are lots of choices for about 20 bucks. Didn't see hippa tho..
Two holes? I only seen one in top. I'll have to look again.

I may have mistaken the two front holes for exhaust holes when they are bolt/stud holes? I didn't see the top outlet...those top outlets can sometimes melt the front edge of the cover a bit. I put some foil tape on the underside of my 262xp's cover to alleviate that. It is problematic on the 262 and may not be on the 372.

anyway, rather than opening up the stock muffler (thereby ruining a part of a fine example of what is a collector saw to some folks) you could buy another muffler cheap that already has bigger outlets. Just a thought.

I may have mistaken the two front holes for exhaust holes when they are bolt/stud holes? I didn't see the top outlet...those top outlets can sometimes melt the front edge of the cover a bit. I put some foil tape on the underside of my 262xp's cover to alleviate that. It is problematic on the 262 and may not be on the 372.

anyway, rather than opening up the stock muffler (thereby ruining a part of a fine example of what is a collector saw to some folks) you could buy another muffler cheap that already has bigger outlets. Just a thought.
It does just have a top outlet. I have a roll of foil furnace duct work tape. Would that be sufficient to put under the top cover above the outlet?

Done the dual port mod to the front through the muffler bracket and assed a screen in between.I'll get a pic up. Didn't really gain anything. It's set a little fat right now with the 24" bar. Need to stick it in some. Didn't have to adjust the H screw at all. Stock muffler has no baffles in it nor had any from looks of it

You gained noise. And ruined a pristine stock muffler. Oh well. Your saw.

for 20-30$ you could have had a chinese muffler to play with. I have one on my 2152. It was 20$. It seems to be every bit similar quality as the stock muffler but full of all of the epa junk.

These older Husqvarna must not be as choked down like the stihls.

Those older pro husqvarnas are factory tuned to be screamers. For the most part.

older pro stihls are torquers. For the most part. Relative to the husky.

in modern times, each manufacturer has flip-flopped on their tuning philosophy overall.

We'll see. If yet to do any major cutting with it. Want to see out it compares with my ms460.

We'll see. If yet to do any major cutting with it. Want to see out it compares with my ms460.

I picked up a 2005 model as winter set in. It cuts ok, but not like I was expecting. It has the open muffler and I don't know how much it would gain with a muffler mod unless ported, and I definitely plan on porting it. My ported 350 hangs right with it in anything under about 14-16".

Great buy on the 372. The prevailing opinion is that the og model is better than the xtorq. There is a guy on several forums called spike60 that seems to think that the xtorqs are pretty awesome as well. He is probably more knowledgeable about Huskies than anyone I have ever read. He is a long time saw shop owner that specializes in Huskies if I am not mistaken.

I don’t see where you hurt a thing with that muffler mod. New OE husky 372 mufflers will set you back around $60 if you decide to undo it. In my personal opinion no one should be running ANY chainsaw for more that a minute without ear protection anyway so I actually love the way a muffler modded saw sounds. I have a piped muffler on my little 450. Sounds sooooo much better than it used to.

Reactions: Isaac Carlson
Yep. I can run a stock saw without ears, but a ported saw will make you wear 'em and sounds good doing it.
What size pipe for a 372? I have a 1/2" pipe on my ported ms390 and it sounds and runs great. I have seen some large diameter pipes on 372's, but you know how people like to overdo it or compensate for stuff.....

16770193103445886933661547823312.jpg

I don't believe it did. This muffler had not internal baffles and I didn't have to really adjust the H screw much at all but I believe it was set pretty fat. Cylinder had lots of crosshatch left on it so it was worth pulling the muffler to look if nothing else. If I change my mind I can always replace the front brace with a new one to cover screen and hole

Was yours ported?
No mine is 100% stock. This one was used in 2000 to clean up a hurricane then put up in a bedroom and used very little (I'm not kidding. He has an x-torq still on his dresser). I've considered porting but never looked into it or sent one off. I have a spare jug for my ms460 I've considered.

No mine is 100% stock. This one was used in 2000 to clean up a hurricane then put up in a bedroom and used very little (I'm not kidding. He has an x-torq still on his dresser). I've considered porting but never looked into it or sent one off. I have a spare jug for my ms460 I've considered.
I think you'd see an improvement if it was ported, since it would be moving more air through the engine. My stock 372 seems to be just fine with the stock exhaust, but it will get opened up some after porting, just like the rest of my saws. Too big lets the fresh charge out and wastes fuel.