372XP or 7900?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moosetrek

Minister of Fire
Oct 22, 2008
CA in the Sierras
OK so I just bought a used 372XP (thanks for all the help in the previous posts). Now I see an ad on CL for a Dolmar 7900 with a new 20" bar and chain for $450. Not sure of condition. So the question is, how much difference is there between the two? I have a great Husky dealer about 45 mins away, no Dolmar dealers anywhere nearby. If it's a night and day difference, I'll buy the Dolmar and sell the XP; otherwise I'll stick with what I've got and swap my 32" bar for a 20" and call it good. Just looking for the "big" saw for felling and bucking up to 24" pine. Thanks-

I would stand pat and buy a 20" bar. They are both beastie saws, but local service does have it's advantages.

ATB,
Mike

moosetrek said:
OK so I just bought a used 372XP (thanks for all the help in the previous posts). Now I see an ad on CL for a Dolmar 7900 with a new 20" bar and chain for $450. Not sure of condition. So the question is, how much difference is there between the two? I have a great Husky dealer about 45 mins away, no Dolmar dealers anywhere nearby. If it's a night and day difference, I'll buy the Dolmar and sell the XP; otherwise I'll stick with what I've got and swap my 32" bar for a 20" and call it good. Just looking for the "big" saw for felling and bucking up to 24" pine. Thanks-

lol 24 in. heck get you a 50 cc saw! just kidding keep the husky

Definitely keep the Husky. Dealer support is a good thing to have.

moosetrek said:

32" is a lot of bar, but why oh why would you put a 20" on a 372?

Stay with what you have and be grateful...Dolmar can go reproduce itself and assume room temperature.

Bigg_Redd said:
moosetrek said:

32" is a lot of bar, but why oh why would you put a 20" on a 372?

Because I'm not sure the 18" would be enough... :) So a 24 might be a little better?

I think so. If all you want is 20" of bar you can do it with a much smaller saw. I think there is nothing in WY that you cannot cut with a 24"-25" bar.

I have both a 20 and 24" bar for my 372 and I find I leave the 24 on the saw most of the time here in the PNW. I run into a fair amount of timber where having the 24" just makes it nice.

So no probs with the 372XP pulling a 24" bar? Guess that's what I'll do then- thanks again.

Bigg_Redd said:
moosetrek said:
So no probs with the 372XP pulling a 24" bar? Guess that's what I'll do then- thanks again.

None. Zero.

Don't listen to the east coasters.
lol thats perpect for that saw 24 in. if he was going west coast style that bar would be 36in. and a back up 42in. and It would be the fastest one in town. and dreaming of a new 60 in.

if he was going west coast style that bar would be 36in.

Actually for most firewood cutters here in the PNW you see guys with 24" bars, but most of the time not much more than that.

TMonter said:
if he was going west coast style that bar would be 36in.

Actually for most firewood cutters here in the PNW you see guys with 24" bars, but most of the time not much more than that.

just ribbing big red! lol

moosetrek said:
so...It's not the length that matters...is it the width? :)

a great set up for that saw for sure would be 24 in. 3/8 chain and .050 bar done

It would be nice to have that 32" around for special occasions.

SolarAndWood said:
It would be nice to have that 32" around for special occasions.

darn right 20 in. as well but start with the sweet spot! oh that would be the 3 saw plan lol

Finally got the 24" bar and headed out to the woods to try the 372 out. What a difference from the 55! Guess that extra 18 CCs really helps? The local shop checked it over (compression test, adjusted idle, etc.) and mounted the new bar/chain. Also ground the old bar even, all at no charge. Picked up a wedge, extra files, and a lot of advice... That's why I really like to shop the local place, service is the best. Went with a full chisel skip tooth, went through pine pretty easy. It's a nice feeling now that the question is't CAN I drop that tree, but SHOULD I.

savageactor7 said:
...Dolmar can go reproduce itself and assume room temperature.
LMAO ! Good one.
Can I have permission to use that line ? (minus the Dolmar part, of course :) )
It took me a while to figure out the room temperature part. lol !

Status
Not open for further replies.