4" pipe/chimney install tips

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

stovenoob21

Nov 14, 2021
New York
Dearest Forum members,

My first post here. I've done a search & haven't quite what I'm looking for.

I have a Cub Portable Camp Wood Stove by England's stove works.

It's for a thin walled shed which my wife doesn't want me to burn to the ground.

My plan, so far, is to do double walled stove-pipe to the wall & double-walled chimney piping outside.

Would anyone tell me whether this diagram seems doable & whether you might recommend a manufacturer that makes stove & chimney pipe that could enable such an install?

I would be very grateful.

Many thanks for any advice you may have to offer.

Thanks again & stay warm.

:)

-stovenoob21

stove1.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks ok though there will be some challenges with a thimble on a 2" thick wall. 4" stovepipe is rare. It may be easier to do this with 5". Would it be possible to go straight up through the roof? That might be easier and cheaper.

Last edited:
Looks ok though there will be some challenges with a thimble on a 2" thick wall. 4" stovepipe is rare. It may be easier to do this with 5".
Thank you, but I've heard that increases & decreases negatively affect draft. Though, I'm not certain about this.

If the effect is negligible, I would gladly increase to a more available pipe.

thx~!

This is not an EPA stove. I don't think it's going to be too draft fussy.

Reactions: stovenoob21
Wow... Interesting.

The only reason I'm going with two 45º elbows is for draft...but if that isn't going to be a problem...
Would you further recommend a 90º bend instead of the two 45s?

(I'd like to go through the roof, but I have no experience and don't want to screw things up).

Also, where would you put a damper in this situation? --Do they exist for double-wall stove pipes?

–As an aside, am I correct to assume that EPA stoves do have more draft problems than uncertified stoves?

Thanks again.

So with a little more research today I see that Selkirk now makes Ultra-Temp chimney pipe in 4". I'm not sure where one would buy it, but there is a catalog here:

Honestly I would just run a 6" through the roof setup. That way when you go to replace the stove you have options. And for that stove it won't matter at all.

Wow... Interesting.

The only reason I'm going with two 45º elbows is for draft...but if that isn't going to be a problem...
Would you further recommend a 90º bend instead of the two 45s?

(I'd like to go through the roof, but I have no experience and don't want to screw things up).

Also, where would you put a damper in this situation? --Do they exist for double-wall stove pipes?

–As an aside, am I correct to assume that EPA stoves do have more draft problems than uncertified stoves?

Thanks again.
Modern stoves need more draft because they have different air passages for secondary combustion.

We get several tiny house questions these days. Knowing that 4" is available may be helpful for them so I wanted to get this posted.

Reactions: bholler