455 rancher or ms 290?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
who makes the makita saw? theres a 90cc one for sale "90cc chain saw with a 24in bar." Makita DCS9010

looks like a powerful one.

greythorn3 said:
who makes the makita saw? theres a 90cc one for sale "90cc chain saw with a 24in bar." Makita DCS9010

I believe that's a dolmar. Check home depot for those....they sell their rental dolkitas for a decent price if you can find one

greg13 said:
Give me a worn out, beat up Stihl over a Husky any day!!

Ok you shouldn't have any trouble finding one!! :lol: :lol:

greythorn3 said:

Makita and Dolmar are the same company. Look around in your area and see if there is a Dolmar dealer near by. They are suppose to be great saws and before I bought my Husky, I almost bought a dolmar. The 5105 and the older 4100 were the saws I was looking for and they offer a lot of options that are in pro saws. If you have a dealer near by you might be able to pick up a 4100 if they still have any pretty close to your price point (but do your homework). Also, if you are looking at huskys, have you also looked at jonesered? Same company as husky and sometimes the prices are a little bit lower, but you would have to price it out if theres a dealer near you.

2172 Jonsered used for 425$ with 24" bar and 28" bar says it runs like brand new. what you guys think they any good?

the guy brought the jonsered over and cut down a tree on my property with it, i also cut a stump with it, wow it cut real nice and fast, had a 28" bar on it, man its a powerhouse compared to what im used to, the pullstart cover was cracked around the screw holes (plastic) he had washers under the screws to hold it on, i cant believe such a powerful saw would be made of plastic, hes firm on 425$ i told him i would think about it, because i think i would rather hold out for a stihl, he said hes selling it to get a stihl, and hes cut 30 cords with the saw in the last 2 months, but he dont have time to stop and put th plastic back on all the time so he wants a metal stihl.

i think i would rather just buy a 362 or that 361 for 550 then pay 425 for this jonsered, seems junky but powerful and cuts fast.

That sounds about right for a 372. The average firewooder who had never used a 70cc saw really has his eyes opened when using something in that power class. Truly a different beast.

well going to look at a 044 with 28" bar for 400$ might get it! is it worth dang?

well i got the 044 man its huge! hope it doesnt tire me out.

Nice a 044. Heard that's a great saw, enjoy and let us know how you like it.

The 290 stihl is a great saw. I have had one since 2004 and never had an issue.

HittinSteel said:
greg13 said:
Give me a worn out, beat up Stihl over a Husky any day!!

Do you have any Huskys? I might be interested in swapping

I used to have to work on them when I was at the Tree company. We had both Stihls & huskys. Stihl out ran & out cut the husky every time. We still had some old 020s, 031s & 041s running when I left

jrendfrey said:
yes price dont really want to spend more than 400 and just wanted to know which brand is preferred i has a small stihl 16 bar just wayyy too small for what i need always starts runs good thinking about going bigger seen alot of people on this forum have the ms290 just looking for some feedback

They sell al Stihls this way, at least that was what i was told 8 or so years ago when i bought my ms390? Maybe it was a marketing ploy to get more money out of me? They were to sell me my 390 with a 16" bar!! That thing would have been turning like crazy with a 16" chain! I think it was either $10 or $20 for every 2" of bar length you went up, i went to a 20" bar. I now want a 24" bar to cut things while not bending over, as im 6"2 and dont like to lean over to cut stuff at my ankles!

044 is a beast and has a huge aftermarket support!

jrendfrey said:
well the title says it all i cut about 10 cords a year pretty good size trees 10-20" i am in the market for a new saw i have used the rancher quite a bit my father in law has two. which would you guys recommend the 455 rancher or the stihl ms 290? any input is always greatly appreciated.
?any reason those two saws I have a newer Echo 530, did lots of research before buying, and it will smoke A rancher 455 in the woods and it's only about $50 more than a new rancher, and it has a better warranty.

Normande said:
jrendfrey said:
well the title says it all i cut about 10 cords a year pretty good size trees 10-20" i am in the market for a new saw i have used the rancher quite a bit my father in law has two. which would you guys recommend the 455 rancher or the stihl ms 290? any input is always greatly appreciated.
?any reason those two saws I have a newer Echo 530, did lots of research before buying, and it will smoke A rancher 455 in the woods and it's only about $50 more than a new rancher, and it has a better warranty.

Have you run these side by side ? I see the 530 eco has a smaller motor. I don't see how a saw with a smaller motor is going to smoke a saw with a larger one.

Woodmaster, yes to side by side, the 530 is only not made any longer , but would be the 550 in size so it's the same match as a 455 rancher, the biggest difference is the chain pitch echo for sum reason puts a .325 chain on the 530 but allows the dealer to gear it up to 3/8th pitch the same as the rancher it the only saw echo allows this on, support being the same I'd buy the echo agian great saw no problem with the others, although my child hood memorie of stilh's are not good, my dad's old Mac 10/10 cut more wood aday than my uncles Stilh, I think he just got a Lemmon it's still runs after being in the shop a lot.

I just got a new 455 Rancher over the weekend. I know it isn't a pro saw, but I dont need it to be. I need it to be exactly what it is, a reliable workhorse. The 55 Rancher is replacing an approximately 20 year old Husky 50 special that I got used as a hand-me-down, it was a great saw also, but its almost as old as I am and was showing its age. For what its worth I picked the 55 Rancher up for $326 brand new from Sears on Saturday. I love Stihl also and I have a serviceing dealer for both but the MS290 at my local dealer with a 20" bar would've cost me $100 more with half the warranty.

clemsonfor said:
jrendfrey said:
yes price dont really want to spend more than 400 and just wanted to know which brand is preferred i has a small stihl 16 bar just wayyy too small for what i need always starts runs good thinking about going bigger seen alot of people on this forum have the ms290 just looking for some feedback

They sell al Stihls this way, at least that was what i was told 8 or so years ago when i bought my ms390? Maybe it was a marketing ploy to get more money out of me? They were to sell me my 390 with a 16" bar!! That thing would have been turning like crazy with a 16" chain! I think it was either $10 or $20 for every 2" of bar length you went up, i went to a 20" bar. I now want a 24" bar to cut things while not bending over, as im 6"2 and dont like to lean over to cut stuff at my ankles!

My local Stihl guy will put any length bar you want within (manufacturers specification) for no extra charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.