455 rancher or ms 290?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jags said:
greythorn3 said:
i got a bead on a used ms361 but the guy wont budge off $550 firm he says.

Walk away. Your just a whisker under new (MS362). Keep looking, there are a bunch of good saws out there on the used market.
+1. Walk away greythorn......

greythorn3 said:
i got a bead on a used ms361 but the guy wont budge off $550 firm he says. i offered 400 and he said hes FIRM.

"Excellent Condition Stihl MS361 25" Chain Saw with skip chain.

Includes Everything (Case, accessories, spare parts)"

ad

Depends on the spare parts for sure. 25inch es bar 50.00 bucks case 40.00 what eles he got?

smokinjay said:
greythorn3 said:
i got a bead on a used ms361 but the guy wont budge off $550 firm he says. i offered 400 and he said hes FIRM.

ad

Depends on the spare parts for sure. 25inch es bar 50.00 bucks case 40.00 what eles he got?

Jay, it would have to come with 4 bars, 8 new chains and an electric chain sharpener for me to take that. :lol: Its just too close to new price to not go new, in my opinion. Dealer support may also improve if it was purchased local. To me, I am looking to get 20 years out of my 361 - a hunnert bucks is NOT the deal breaker. At $300, I would be sniffing hard.

Jags said:
smokinjay said:
greythorn3 said:

ad

Jay, it would have to come with 4 bars, 8 new chains and an electric chain sharpener for me to take that. :lol: Its just too close to new price to not go new, in my opinion. Dealer support may also improve if it was purchased local. To me, I am looking to get 20 years out of my 361 - a hunnert bucks is NOT the deal breaker. At $300, I would be sniffing hard.

I got 525.00 for mine 20 inch bar and case......Really helps on the resale side to have a pro stihl. It will never go that cheap! ;-)

Jags said:
I am just glad that I have a saw that is worth darn near what I paid for it new. :lol:

Thats why I am not affraid to buy any stihl pro saw. I made money on my 361 and used it soild for a year. If I am not sure I will keep one, then I just keep it very clean and always use the case. In the 880 I had to use a blanket. lol

smokinjay said:
Jags said:
I am just glad that I have a saw that is worth darn near what I paid for it new. :lol:

Thats why I am not affraid to buy any stihl pro saw. I made money on my 361 and used it soild for a year. If I am not sure I will keep one, then I just keep it very clean and always use the case. In the 880 I had to use a blanket. lol

In my next life, I want to come back as one of your chainsaws.

Jags said:
smokinjay said:
Jags said:

In my next life, I want to come back as one of your chainsaws.

Your luck it would be my 460 road hard and put away wet....But it would take a bullet for me to every get rid of it.

smokinjay said:
Your luck it would be my 460 road hard and put away wet....

That explains my current life. :)

Bigg_Redd said:
jrendfrey said:
well the title says it all i cut about 10 cords a year pretty good size trees 10-20" i am in the market for a new saw i have used the rancher quite a bit my father in law has two. which would you guys recommend the 455 rancher or the stihl ms 290? any input is always greatly appreciated.

They are pretty much the same flavor from two different brands. The differences are as follows:

If you get the 290 you'll have to get it from a Stihl dealer who can help you figure out the thousands of stupid questions you'll inevitably have - what bar, what chain, what file, what bar oil, what fuel, what premix, etc.

If you buy a 455 you can get it at HD or Lowes and be forced to ask all your stupid questions here and put your trust in our collective ignorance and intransigence because the 20 year old in a orange vest at the big store hasn't got even the slightest clue about chainsaws or wood cutting.

Hope this helps.
Redd, I'm envisioning every idiot in these stores that come up and ask if they can help you find something.
I like to play the game with them and then show them where the stuff is actually at.

HD when they started out actually hired PT contractors who were inbetween/out of work. Made for a great business model, of course they eventually figured out paying 15$/hr vs minimum wage idiots was more cost effective

Jags said:
smokinjay said:
Your luck it would be my 460 road hard and put away wet....

That explains my current life. :)

Could be worse Jags, you could've been tied up behind the woodshed for years like my 034 was... lol

jrendfrey said:
well the title says it all i cut about 10 cords a year pretty good size trees 10-20" i am in the market for a new saw i have used the rancher quite a bit my father in law has two. which would you guys recommend the 455 rancher or the stihl ms 290? any input is always greatly appreciated.

Get the 290. take care of it, good sharp chain. It is up to the task.

They talk about these pro saws getting their money back but a good looking 290 will get you a few bucks back too.
In a couple year put something with it and get another, or upgrade a bit.

Or take it to the drag strip.

mecreature said:
jrendfrey said:

They talk about these pro saws getting their money back but a good looking 290 will get you a few bucks back too.

290 is one of few mid-level saws with a ton of aftermarket support.

MasterMech said:
mecreature said:
jrendfrey said:

290 is one of few mid-level saws with a ton of aftermarket support.

NWP also makes an aftermarket 039/390 top end now too!

well i guess since you all say its not worth 550$ i will hold off for a better deal.

any idea how much a 362 new is?

greythorn3 said:
well i guess since you all say its not worth 550$ i will hold off for a better deal.

$709 with a 20" bar

HittinSteel said:
greythorn3 said:

$709 with a 20" bar

Yea there a little out of touch......Now your not paying taxs on that 550.00 either....lol

no tax here, anyhow maybe i will look into a new 362 if i cant find something by spring early summer. i wanna cut 10 or so cords, and my poulan a and craftsman and homelite and other poulan are about wore out.

Nyyfan I have a 460 bought it because it was bigger than the 455. I run a 20 inch bar with a Carlton pro chain on it. I love the saw. I bought it from tsc online and have it serviced at my local dealer. You will not be disappointed.

Give me a worn out, beat up Stihl over a Husky any day!!

boy them things must be expensive new used heres one for sale husqvarna 372xp - $750!

found a 460 says its new with 8 tanks of fuel run thru and a crack in the pistol grip, wow another expensive saw! Stihl 460 chainsaw - $750

is this saw anygood? 09 Stihl pro 066 he wants 800$ barley used 32" bar

are these good HUSQVARNA CHAIN SAW #51 - $225

Status
Not open for further replies.