48 hrs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Hearth Supporter
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
24/7 burning started a couple days ago. We had a great October, but November has brought on the cold and wet. I got the stove and flue cleaned on Oct. 31st. 2 cups of light sote came down. Lit the stove up on Nov. 2nd and it's been going since. We're on 12hr. cycles burning softwood, 8am and 8pm. This morning startup was with a 190F stovetop. Life is good with dry wood.

48 hrs

i did burn for ten days straight last month cause temp was dropping at night into low 30s. Daytime between 59 and 72. This week temp went up on both day and night. no burn for me. when i get there after work if house need some heat the pellet stove takes care of that in a few hrs and i have to turn it off. Soon is supposed to get cold. I am just waiting for it. Wood burning is an addiction. LOL

You called it. I just went thirteen hours on the summit and had plenty of coals left for reloading. Birch I'm burning right now.

Had the trifecta going the last couple of days. All the stoves fired.

We got about a foot of snow and hit about -13c last night. It was +80f in the living room and 76 on the thermostat down the hall.

With the stove and insert in the house I heartily laugh in the face of winter now.

I plow snow, so when it gets this cold out I keep my plow/sand truck in the shop and run the stove. Much easier on equipment to keep it warm, stops the truck from turning into one big icicle.

We got about a foot of snow and hit about -13c last night. It was +80f in the living room and 76 on the thermostat down the hall.
Looks like in addition to cold and snow you folks also had some high winds to deal with. Early winter weather for sure.

We had a cold snap last week but this week it has warmed back up into the 50's and 60's. It looks like next week will bring some more cool weather to the area. Yes, burning dry wood is definitely nice!

Still warm here in New England.. maybe 50s on the cool days, but nothing the heat pumps can't handle

I remember one day last winter the temp dropped to below zero.. the air was so cold and still it was surreal. That night the wood stove cranked away

I think this weather is a nice change. I'm finding a noticeable difference in how my stove heats the house now after replacing all my windows over the summer.

Reactions: Doc C
It's been a warm and, unfortunately, humid fall in New England. I'm wearing a hat indoors right now just to stretch the date I first fire the wood stove up a little. It'll be warmer later today...:p

I lit the t5 on a half full load of pine at the cabin. The temp hit the low 30s. I had to open the windows half the night. That stove doesn't disappoint!

I finished installing the new boiler at the house yesterday. I want to recline the old chimney and move the NC30 to where the old boiler lived. It'll be an interior chimney, sort of, and allow me to take the external chimney that it was attached to down. That move, reclining, and demolition probably won't happen this year.

I wish we could burn 24/7 it would a hell of lot easier then small kindling fires to keep the furnace from kicking on.

24/7 burning started a couple days ago. We had a great October, but November has brought on the cold and wet. I got the stove and flue cleaned on Oct. 31st. 2 cups of light sote came down. Lit the stove up on Nov. 2nd and it's been going since. We're on 12hr. cycles burning softwood, 8am and 8pm. This morning startup was with a 190F stovetop. Life is good with dry wood.

View attachment 215162
You only have to load twice a day? With softwood? That's fantastic. I'm gonna have to figure out how to slow down my air intake. You inspired me with this post and that article on bungalow syndrome. I'll post the question if anyone has done this on their SBI stove.

View attachment 215162

Nice. This summer was exceptionally good for drying wood in the pnw. Our stacks should all be prime. I am also getting into the 24/7 routine and checked my Doug fir at 12-13%. This is just on pallets outside top covered.

As far as 12+ hours from a noncat, well, I've never been able to do that.

You only have to load twice a day? With softwood? That's fantastic. I'm gonna have to figure out how to slow down my air intake. You inspired me with this post and that article on bungalow syndrome. I'll post the question if anyone has done this on their SBI stove.
Yes, twice a day loading is our usual routine until temps drop below freezing. During very cold weather I switch to hardwood for the extra btus and reload cycle can go down to 8 hrs.. When pushed hard, the difference between cat and non-cat burn times becomes less apparent. It's basically a matter of btus needed to keep the house warm. One difference from the way that some folks burn is that we don't like a very hot house. We like to keep the ambient temp around 70F around the corner in the kitchen. In the living room it's usually around 72-74F when the stove's running. Bedrooms upstairs are around 68F.

Last edited:
I just went over 12hrs again last night, slept for a solid eleven and a half and had loaded the stove about a hour before bed. Still running birch. I'm burning through a cord I bought last year that was wet. So I had stacked it and left it for this year.

The one thing I love about snowplowing, the exhaustion of it allows me to sleep like a teenager again.

Reactions: 2fireplacesinSC
Nice. This summer was exceptionally good for drying wood in the pnw. Our stacks should all be prime. I am also getting into the 24/7 routine and checked my Doug fir at 12-13%. This is just on pallets outside top covered.

As far as 12+ hours from a noncat, well, I've never been able to do that.

That's surprising to me. I can easily have heat/easy re-loads after 12hrs on birch if I pack it up, settle it in, and damp it down. I may break into my five year plus oak stash this year, but probably not lol. It's rare to get oak here and then I'd be really curious to see how long i could go. Both of my PE's easily burn overnight. I only keep the basement summit burning 24/7 though. I let the insert go out in the morning and relight it at night for a couple loads. I put two mediumish sized loads through my summit during the day and burn pretty hot and then I load it right up for the overnight.

Reactions: Highbeam
Good to hear you can get 12 hours! I could never get 12 hrs out of a non-cat either...I then went to a boiler for 23 years till it died and then to a BK thanks to this place.

Squisher....I take oak for granted living here in the Midwest as there is a abundance of it...I feel for you guys who don't get to enjoy it as much as you would like to.

My heating is still definetly a cycle, its the same cycle I've known my whole life. I overheat the house mercilessly by evening and by the next morning it's 'cooled off' to reasonable. Rinse and repeat.

I'm certain one day I'll burn a cat stove, and probably a BK from what I've read here. I'd really like to put a king in my shop on my 8" class A pipe. rare that a decent one comes up for a good deal though. BK cats seem to hold their value well on the used market here. It would be so nice to load my shop once a day and keep it heated all winter. One day.

Here fir and birch is king. Burning true hardwoods is so unheard of most don't think/seem aware of it at all. Fruitwood is usually the closest people get here. I'm constantly on the lookout for cool woods to try out. But I burn about 99%fir and birch. Lol.

Reactions: blacktail
I burn primarily Oak here but also burn Hedge or Osage Orange as it is sometimes called and Hickory and Elm and Locust.

Reactions: Squisher
thats a pretty awesome selection of woods to choose from.

thats a pretty awesome selection of woods to choose from.
We are truly blessed here with a excellent selection of hardwoods...I have it extra special as my best friend is a logger and he hooks me up with more wood than I can get cut...it is a nice problem to have as I didn't always have it so easy...

I take oak for granted living here in the Midwest as there is a abundance of it...I feel for you guys who don't get to enjoy it as much as you would like to.

There's something to be said about wood that'll dry in under a year though. And those of us in more mild climates don't have such a high heat demand.

There's something to be said about wood that'll dry in under a year though. And those of us in more mild climates don't have such a high heat demand.
I like the sound of that! lol Whats your dead of winter average temps? Never been to your part of the country....though I would like to sometime...