48 hrs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Was in the 60s just a few days ago now calling for a low of 16 Friday Night.

First fire of the Year tonight in the Supreme duet, rocking out to Garth Brooks on the CMA Awards, with a cocktail in hand doesn't get much better than 73 degrees in the house while it is 37 outside!

Awesome looking place you have! I sure hope that old double barrel is seen better days else that dry heat might do a number on it.

We are going down to 5 above tonight and I’ve been using the stove everyday for some time now. I’ve never been able to throttle down my non cat stove much in the winter, maybe bc it’s too small for a 3,000 sq ft house at 2.6 cu ft.

You called it. I just went thirteen hours on the summit and had plenty of coals left for reloading. Birch I'm burning right now.

Had the trifecta going the last couple of days. All the stoves fired.

We got about a foot of snow and hit about -13c last night. It was +80f in the living room and 76 on the thermostat down the hall.

With the stove and insert in the house I heartily laugh in the face of winter now.

I plow snow, so when it gets this cold out I keep my plow/sand truck in the shop and run the stove. Much easier on equipment to keep it warm, stops the truck from turning into one big icicle.

Hi Squisher, I'm about 500km North of you and burn a Summit LE. I predominantly burn pine and spruce but from time to time I get some fir and birch. With the recent cold snap I've been burning about 70% birch and the rest pine and have noticed there is a lot more coal from the birch than just burning the soft woods. Do you notice this as well? My birch is 16-20% mc, yes measured on warm freshly split pieces...;)

Anyway, I do appreciate the extra BTU from the birch just annoyed by the extra coals and curious if you notice that when on birch too? I'm going to pile them up and throw a couple small pieces of pine on them and see if that helps burn them down.

Thanks!

It is common during cold snaps for hearth.com forums to start filling with stories of excess coals building up. Why during cold snaps? Well people aren't letting their stoves burn the embers down as much and are stuffing more wood in sooner. If you would just wait longer and open up the air, they would burn down. The problem is, your house will get colder. Do you want a warm house? If so, during cold snaps you'll need to clean your stove out more often.

Reactions: bcarp
This is the perfect scenario for all the excess bark you get splitting. Rake the coals and throw a big pile of bark on there and youll burn down the coals quickly while adding some heat to the room. If you're out of bark just use kindling scraps of wood.

I prefer this than just shoveling out the coals. That always feels like wasted BTUs plus this is safer and you can always make more kindling/get more bark.

It is common during cold snaps for hearth.com forums to start filling with stories of excess coals building up. Why during cold snaps? Well people aren't letting their stoves burn the embers down as much and are stuffing more wood in sooner. If you would just wait longer and open up the air, they would burn down. The problem is, your house will get colder. Do you want a warm house? If so, during cold snaps you'll need to clean your stove out more often.
Thanks this does make sense, and it must be a difference between the hard and soft woods. I can reload constantly on the softwoods and won't have the coal accumulations I have with the birch.