5" single wall pipe/2x4 wall thimble

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Maringotka

Nov 23, 2018
hello all,

I'm installing a Jotul 602 using 5" single wall pipe in a tiny house on wheels.

How do I go through the 2x4 frame wall?

CC

hello all,

CC
You need to switch to insulated chimney pipe once you hit the wall. You will then just use the manufacturer supplied components

hello all,

CC
How about using this:

Manufacturer: Heat-Fab
Part Number: 3006
eFireplaceStore Item Number: CPF-21480
UPC: 787739991822
Features
  • Allows single-wall stovepipe to safely pass through a combustible wall
  • Easily attaches to chimney
  • Solid-pack insulation
  • Can be used with walls 4" to 8.5" thick
  • Fits stovepipe with a 5" or 6" diameter
  • UL Listed
  • *A 16" W x 17" H opening is required for installation

How about using this:

Manufacturer: Heat-Fab
Part Number: 3006
eFireplaceStore Item Number: CPF-21480
UPC: 787739991822
Features
  • Allows single-wall stovepipe to safely pass through a combustible wall
  • Easily attaches to chimney
  • Solid-pack insulation
  • Can be used with walls 4" to 8.5" thick
  • Fits stovepipe with a 5" or 6" diameter
  • UL Listed
  • *A 16" W x 17" H opening is required for installation
That is to connect to a masonry chimney. You need to switch to insulated chimney pipe once you hit the wall.

The adapter made by the chimney manufacturer

I think I've decided to use this :

Dickinson marine

IMG_1838.PNG
The product that you have indicated would definitely allow you to mate a 5" pipe with another 5" pipe as well as allow for safe clearance while going through the roof. There is no need for added insulation as you would cut a 7" hole for the 5" pipe. The gap is to allow for air circulation and to prevent heat transfer from material to material.

Kind Regards,

Jeremy Edgar

Dickinson Manufacturing

Dickinson Marine/ Sig Marine

101-17728 66th Ave

Surrey, BC V3S7X1 Canada

Tel: 604-574-8641

Fax: 604-574-8659

www.dickinsonmarine.com

Last edited by a moderator:

Dickinson marine

View attachment 236044
The product that you have indicated would definitely allow you to mate a 5" pipe with another 5" pipe as well as allow for safe clearance while going through the roof. There is no need for added insulation as you would cut a 7" hole for the 5" pipe. The gap is to allow for air circulation and to prevent heat transfer from material to material.

Kind Regards,

Jeremy Edgar

Dickinson Manufacturing

101-17728 66th Ave

Surrey, BC V3S7X1 Canada

www.dickinsonmarine.com
That is a very foolish decision

Why don't boat burn down when they have this installed?

Why don't boat burn down when they have this installed
They do occasionally. What standard is that product tested to?

Did you read the chimney requirements of your stove??? What about the clearance from single wall pipe? The dickenson products don't list any standard they are tested to. But the jotul is ul listed and has very specific requirements.

Reactions: moresnow
Went and looked because I'm quite familiar with this company as they're local and I have seen tons of their heaters in boats. I didn't even realize they made a solid fuel heater. It's tiny, so I have no doubt their thimble is adequate for their stove, but it certainly would be suicide to use it with a full size stove :eek:

IMG_0848.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: bholler

Are you self-insuring your house?

Dickinson marine

View attachment 236044

Kind Regards,

Jeremy Edgar

Dickinson Manufacturing

101-17728 66th Ave

Surrey, BC V3S7X1 Canada

www.dickinsonmarine.com

Did you tell him it would be used in a house? And hooked to a Jotul 602?

Single wall pipe has a clearance of 18" from combustibles. How does suddenly reducing this down to 2" remain safe? Read up on wood pyrolysis before proceeding. The F602 is capable of putting out over 6 times the max BTUs of the Newport. If the stove is let to often smolder, as is likely when used in a small space, the risk of a chimney fire or two is fairly high over the course of a few heating seasons. How comfortable would anyone be with a glowing red pipe 2" away from wood in a residence?

Last edited:
Reactions: Dug8498 and bholler
Maringotka I contacted the good folks at Dickinson Marine. They believe this was a miscommunication. My guess is that they were not given the details of the installation. Their operations manager responded:

No one here has any knowledge of the codes for tiny homes and we are not qualified to be giving advice on using our piping accessories with any other appliances than our own. Our knowledge is limited to the codes for appliances being installed in boats.

Do not use the deck fitting product with the Jotul. To do so would be reckless and life-threatening.

Last edited: