5 year old Enviro EF4 pellet insert Is it a good investment

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Coldmom

Oct 18, 2009
Boston, ma
Hi

I am looking at buying a used EF4 that they c;aim is about 5 years old and hasn't been used much. The price is $900 which seems like a good deal. Anything that I should look for? Have there been any issues with this model?

Any guidance would be appreciated.

I don't have alot of info on this stove other than I believe its on the lower end of the btu scaleI believe its rated at 28 or 30,000 btu's which is rather low.

Coldmom said:
Hi

I am looking at buying a used EF4 that they c;aim is about 5 years old and hasn't been used much. The price is $900 which seems like a good deal. Anything that I should look for? Have there been any issues with this model?

Any guidance would be appreciated.
Make sure to have them fire it up and let it run for a while....even if it's just sitting outside. And don't go by "claims" to the age....ask them to give you the serial # that can be traced back through the company, or show you a man. date on the stove.

As for the price, it's a good price IF the stove works as it should.

BTW, is this your 1st pellet stove?

Thanks for the info.

Yes its a first stove. I guess from the other comment the low btu's means it is a smaller stove. My house is 2400 it's a colonial so maybe its not the right fit. I keep the heat low for $$ so I thought this would help keep the place warmer.

Any tips would be appreciated

Thats a lot of house for that stove, You may keep a few rooms is about it.

You need to give us a little more info for best advice.

Where are you planning to place the stove and info on house layout?

But I would say something in the 60,000 BTU range or a pellet furnace with duct work maybe.

jtakeman said:
Thats a lot of house for that stove,.........But I would say something in the 60,000 BTU range or a pellet furnace with duct work maybe.

If what mnkywrnch is correct about the btu output, then I agree with Jay....not a big enough stove to heat much of your home. It would be better to have a little bigger stove than you need, and be able to run it at a medium heat setting than trying to run a small stove on high all the time.

But as Jay says, where you place it, and how many rooms you realistically are trying to heat might change that opinion.

I think I would agree then its too small a stove I just thought it was a good deal. I will be putting in the living room in the fireplace. Its originally a center hall colonial with an addition off the left handside. Mostly I am trying to heat the living room and and upstairs bedrooms since the additions have there own zone heating. But figure if I am going to put one in it should heat the majority of the house.

Any suggestion on a size or make to look for? Also what not to use?

Thanks

Coldmom said:
I think I would agree then its too small a stove I just thought it was a good deal. I will be putting in the living room in the fireplace. Its originally a center hall colonial with an addition off the left handside. Mostly I am trying to heat the living room and and upstairs bedrooms since the additions have there own zone heating. But figure if I am going to put one in it should heat the majority of the house.

Any suggestion on a size or make to look for? Also what not to use?

Thanks

Yes that's is a good deal, Just not the right deal.

I would say a minimum is going to be in the 45,000 BTU range. But better to stay a bit high for breathing room. That's why I would say 60,000 BTU's(really better with a furnace and put the heat where its wanted).

Not a good feeling when the stoves on max and the house temps don't rise! Specially when you didn't buy oil becuase all the money was spent on pellets.

But if you want an area to be nice and warm and assist the main heating system? That is a good stove to start with.

Stay warm
jay

As Jay mentioned, I'd make sure that you get a stove capable of heating at least 2,000-2,200 sq. ft. We don't know what dealers/brands you have available in your area, so it's tough to say what brand to look for.

If you do some stove "shopping" at some local stove dealers, and report back which ones you see or like, then we can be a little more help.

Only one I can recommend, (since I have owned the freestanding version), are the Avalon Astoria or Lopi Yankee inserts. They are basically the same stove, and will heat up to 2,200 sq. ft. They are quiet, fairly simple to use, and I never had any problems with mine. They also have large hoppers that hold up to 80+ lbs. (2 bags) of pellets.

www.avalonfirestyles.com/product_guide/detail.aspx?id=186

www.lopistoves.com/product_guide/detail.aspx?id=189

On the larger size how about the Quadra Fire 1200i Classic Bay Pellet stove insert. I think the BTU's are 47,000. BUT this one is only 1 year old and they are asking $2000. Would this be worth it? would this mostly heat my whole house?

The Quad Classic bay insert would be a nice stove, and $2000 for a 1 yr old stove doesn't seem too bad (although I have NO idea what they are new).

As for heating your whole house, that simply isn't going to happen with ANY pellet stove, insert or freestanding. Pellet stoves are basically large space heaters. They are not designed to heat the whole house, unless you buy a pellet boiler or furnace to replace the one in your basement.

At best, you should expect it to heat the room it's in, and depending on the floor plan (if it's very "open"), you can heat some of the rooms around it....many forum members use small box fans in hallways to pull/push heat around to even it out (me included).

It may even heat some of the upstairs, but don't expect it to be as warm as the downstairs. You would think that since heat rises, it would, but each house is different.

This is where I get confused if what you say is true shouldn't I just buy a smaller stove since it will mostly just heat say the living room, dining room kitchen area. Or will the generally warm the whole house to some degree with the use of a few fans.

Thanks for the info so far

Coldmom said:
....... Or will the generally warm the whole house to some degree with the use of a few fans.......

Yes, that's pretty much it. If you buy a small stove, when you get the really cold days/nights, it will struggle to keep up even on high, and most pellet stoves are not supposed to run on high for more than a few hours at a time. Better a little too much stove, than not enough. A bigger unit can always be turned down.

OK so maybe the $2000 is a little too big but something bigger than the first one. Does the maker really matter? How old is too old?

Thanks

Coldmom said:
How old is too old? Thanks......

When you can't find spare parts. I have a 1994 Quad and you are still able to get spare parts for it. Well the mechanicals anyway.

The big item is the control board(the brain). If that isn't available I would stay away from it.

Hi
OK taking your advice for a bigger stove how about the Harmen Invincible? Although I read the hopper its too big it heats around 1700sq ft. 5300 btu and my place is 2400. Its priced at $1600 which seems a little high but I can always offer less.

Thoughts?

A lot would depend on the age and condition of the stove. I see them every so often by me for 600 to 1,000. My experience is that most people that are selling stoves, and not moving, just didn't want to put up with the deal of keeping them clean. It is a ritual you have to fall into pretty quickly if you want the stove to keep churning out reliable heat. If you are planning on getting one from a stove shop make sure you have at least a 60 day warranty after it is installed. Their higher prices are for that warranty and their reputation. If you are going to buy it on the used market, Craigslist, or E-Bay as examples, start asking a bunch of questios here on what you should be looking for. A lot of times just a really good cleaning is all the is needed and you can get a great bargan. If you are not somewhat handy I wouldn't even consider buying used on the open market.

You will first need to settle on a stove size and then a make/model for members here to be able to give good information.

I have a older Harman Invincible Insert that works very well. I bought it off Craigslist and was told it needed a blower motor. I factored the cost of the motor in before I bought it. The squirrel cage on the blower just needed to be cleaned and I didn't have to replace the motor. These stoves are kind of a case by case basis. If I had to do it over again I would get one with the auto igniter as I find starting the stove each morning a PIA.

Bkins

How big is your house? Does the Invicible do a good job heating? WHat about the size of the hopper. I thought the price seemed a bit high too but I guess he redoes the stove here's his reply

Hello. I have several Harman pellet stoves for sale, as I DO refurbish them for resale. I have reconditioned 60 or more stove in the last year, and year built has nothing to do with the decision to refurbish a stove. Condition is everything. This stove is a perfect example of a well cared for and simply new condition stove after It has been reconditioned. The stove was built about 10 years ago, but looks new. I have some flex pipe, but I am not gauranteed to have some when you are ready to make purchase....as I sell several. No hearth pad, and serial # is irrelevant. You may get that at point of viewing.

I don't think they sell this one anyone how much do you think is a similar new stove?

thanks

Alexia

Try checking out the Englands Stove Works website. They have a nice variety of stoves that can be found at many Home Depot, Lowes, and other big box stores, and they aren't as expensive as other models. You would have to install it yourself, but that is pretty easy to do if you are a little bit handy around the home, or know someone who is. They also have great service, and one of the guys that work for ESW are on this site fairly often helping people out. I have an Englander, and it has worked out pretty good for me.

There are many brands/models to choose from, and your best bet is to shop around, and check out some of the info here on this website.

Another thing to consider, is how well is your home insulated? If you took all that money you are going spend on a stove, and used it to improve your homes insulation, you may may be better off doing that instead!

Good luck on your stove search.

the EF4 is a good stove for small area. it will heat about 1500 sq feet.
Parts are available for it. Funny thing is the distributors new parts list no longer have the specific parts for the Ef4 listed but if you know the part # they have the parts.

If the stove is clean and everything working on it I would snag it for about $800.
one of the few things that is not the same as the EF2 or EF3 is that it has a phase controller that controls the combustion blower speed when you lower or raise the heat output.

as long as you had a good place to install it. and then maybe find another good deal and put a second stove in your home.
for it is hard to heat a 2400sq home with just one stove no matter how many BTU the stove puts out.

I have to put my 2 cents in here too.

I would look for a multifuel unit. Less pellet picky and they have a cleaner in the burnpot. You will not have to scrap the pot daily.

I love mine(check my sig) I only need to clean and tinker with it. Like every 2 weeks or so. Much less in the shoulder season's.

If you going new. Mind as well get it now. It will burn even the crappy pellets with no issues. Plus the future fuels and grains.

Jay

jtakeman said:

I would look for a multifuel unit. Less pellet picky and they have a cleaner in the burnpot. You will not have to scrap the pot daily.

I love mine(check my sig) I only need to clean and tinker with it. Like every 2 weeks or so. Much less in the shoulder season's.

If you going new. Mind as well get it now. It will burn even the crappy pellets with no issues. Plus the future fuels and grains.

Jay
Jay a lot of folks dont have $4k plus to spend on a stove.
at this point of my life I understand this. I can hardly pay my electric bill right now.

hearthtools said:
jtakeman said:

Jay
at this point of my life I understand this. I can hardly pay my electric bill right now.

Plus I didn't notice the insert part. There is only one multifuel insert that I know of. You are right, Its not a cheap stove. But it would have no issues keeping the 2400 sqft warm. Probably roast them out is more like it. Mine never sees higher than medium in my 2000sqft basement install. I wasn't plugging the Omega as much as the "Just getting the multifuel stove part". Englander has them. Just so much less daily fussing over them.

jay

jtakeman said:
hearthtools said:
I wasn't plugging the Omega as much as the "Just getting the multifuel stove part". Englander has them. Just so much less daily fussing over them.

jay
the englander is just not the same as our Rock solid OMEGA or the new 55. Im not in the selling biz anymore but I am happy what I am seeing in the Enviro line of stoves.

Status
Not open for further replies.