50+ red oak again!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
lukem said:
smokinjay said:
lukem said:
smokinjay said:
lukem said:
smokinjay" date="1323722627 said:
lukem" date="1323722003 said:
smokinjay" date="1323719937 said:
lukem" date="1323719778 said:
smokinjay" date="1323717761 said:
No pic's this time but I swear I win not do another one! My whole body says no fricken way pal.....Anyone else doing the big ones this year?

I have a 40-50" black locust on my to-do list. It is leaning hard (away from a house) and it's probably rotten in the middle. Getting it down safely might be a challenge. I'm worried it is going to barber-chair and I don't have a bar long enough to plunge-cut it. I'm going to poke a hole in it with the saw and see if it is truly hollow...then plan accordingly. Should be a hard day's work.

I would just face cut it as normal and run a long bar. Make sure your stance is set to slide back and out. If it baber its no big deal.

That's probably what I'll do, but even if i know they're going to barber...it still scares the crap out of me when they pop.

That big I have never had one barber even hollow, but I darn sure would be ready for it though.

If it isn't hollow it is going on the mill for fence posts.

50 inch bl is going be a force to deal with!

Going to suck flipping it.

Yea and making your cutting runs that bl dull chains very quick in the milling runs. I have never seen one that big.

Using a woodmizer, so no sharpening...just swap out blades. Can make quick work of it once it is in position, but getting it in position will take some grunt.

I dont know of any wood mizer thats going to handle 40-50 inch log?

No big ones here Jay. That is why I don't own a big saw.

I prefer the big ones when they are hanging out in the pile. Not sure where I am on the big ones...love the splits but they hurt.

Attachments

• 091811 oak splitting.jpg
    091811 oak splitting.jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 173
  • 082711 oak round and split.jpg
    082711 oak round and split.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 152
SolarAndWood said:
I prefer the big ones when they are hanging out in the pile. Not sure where I am on the big ones...love the splits but they hurt.

Yes they do. Going after black locust again in the A.M. and let that oak rest awhile.... :lol:

smokinjay said:
lukem said:
smokinjay said:
lukem said:
smokinjay said:
lukem" date="1323726193 said:
smokinjay" date="1323722627 said:
lukem" date="1323722003 said:
smokinjay" date="1323719937 said:
lukem" date="1323719778 said:
[quote author="smokinjay" date="1323717761"]No pic's this time but I swear I win not do another one! My whole body says no fricken way pal.....Anyone else doing the big ones this year?

I have a 40-50" black locust on my to-do list. It is leaning hard (away from a house) and it's probably rotten in the middle. Getting it down safely might be a challenge. I'm worried it is going to barber-chair and I don't have a bar long enough to plunge-cut it. I'm going to poke a hole in it with the saw and see if it is truly hollow...then plan accordingly. Should be a hard day's work.

I would just face cut it as normal and run a long bar. Make sure your stance is set to slide back and out. If it baber its no big deal.

That's probably what I'll do, but even if i know they're going to barber...it still scares the crap out of me when they pop.

That big I have never had one barber even hollow, but I darn sure would be ready for it though.

If it isn't hollow it is going on the mill for fence posts.

50 inch bl is going be a force to deal with!

Going to suck flipping it.

Yea and making your cutting runs that bl dull chains very quick in the milling runs. I have never seen one that big.

Using a woodmizer, so no sharpening...just swap out blades. Can make quick work of it once it is in position, but getting it in position will take some grunt.

I dont know of any wood mizer thats going to handle 40-50 inch log?[/quote]

The 40 might do it if you slab it off and keep rotating...if not it will be stove chow.

Status
Not open for further replies.