50+ red oak again!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smokinj

Minister of Fire
Aug 11, 2008
Anderson, Indiana
No pic's this time but I swear I win not do another one! My whole body says no fricken way pal.....Anyone else doing the big ones this year?

Yeah - but mine are getting dumped at my house. The big ones will work ya, but the reward is something! Work slow and steady. And 12 hour Alieve is a requirement.

We need pics!

basswidow said:
Yeah - but mine are getting dumped at my house. The big ones will work ya, but the reward is something! Work slow and steady. And 12 hour Alieve is a requirement.

We need pics!

I done so many of these big reds the last thing I want is reminded...lol But it was as big as this one and working up the hill! Very curly and hard on the splitter as well.

Attachments

• zz.jpg
    zz.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 551
smokinjay said:
No pic's this time but I swear I win not do another one! My whole body says no fricken way pal.....Anyone else doing the big ones this year?

I have a 40-50" black locust on my to-do list. It is leaning hard (away from a house) and it's probably rotten in the middle. Getting it down safely might be a challenge. I'm worried it is going to barber-chair and I don't have a bar long enough to plunge-cut it. I'm going to poke a hole in it with the saw and see if it is truly hollow...then plan accordingly. Should be a hard day's work.

lukem said:
smokinjay said:

I have a 40-50" black locust on my to-do list. It is leaning hard (away from a house) and it's probably rotten in the middle. Getting it down safely might be a challenge. I'm worried it is going to barber-chair and I don't have a bar long enough to plunge-cut it. I'm going to poke a hole in it with the saw and see if it is truly hollow...then plan accordingly. Should be a hard day's work.

I would just face cut it as normal and run a long bar. Make sure your stance is set to slide back and out. If it baber its no big deal.

Just yesterday worked a 40 inch maple.

Isnt the term is noodling when one wrestles with big rounds to get it in position for the splitter?... if so then I have slightly perfected that technique with the Kubota – calling it “Tra'noodling". Slap on the bucket forks and just lay'em onto the splitter plate – nice nice.

The trailer has the splits of just three 36 inch rounds - just love those big rounds!

Attachments

• IMG00982-20111211-1455.jpg
    IMG00982-20111211-1455.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 526
  • IMG00978-20111211-1440.jpg
    IMG00978-20111211-1440.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 531
  • IMG00979-20111211-1440.jpg
    IMG00979-20111211-1440.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 520
  • IMG00980-20111211-1441.jpg
    IMG00980-20111211-1441.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 532
  • IMG00981-20111211-1443.jpg
    IMG00981-20111211-1443.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 527
  • IMG00984-20111211-1542.jpg
    IMG00984-20111211-1542.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 544
Jambx said:
Just yesterday worked a 40 inch maple.

Isnt the term is noodling when one wrestles with big rounds to get it in position for the splitter?... if so then I have slightly perfected that technique with the Kubota – calling it “Tra'noodling". Slap on the bucket forks and just lay'em onto the splitter plate – nice nice.

The trailer has the splits of just three 36 inch rounds - just love those big rounds!

Noodling is cutting the round in half. We did lots of that yesterday, but the big red oak still a hand full. Oh nice piece of equiment there!

Attachments

• noodling.bmp
    534.5 KB · Views: 555
Took 2 days to finish this one off. Too far away to be worth dragging the tractor there so we had to do it the old fashioned way. With the grapple this guy could have been cut, loaded, and area cleaned up in a couple hrs. As it was 2 days later and there is still work to be done on the site.

Attachments

• IMG00784-20111210-1507.jpg
    IMG00784-20111210-1507.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 545
wkpoor said:
Took 2 days to finish this one off. Too far away to be worth dragging the tractor there so we had to do it the old fashioned way. With the grapple this guy could have been cut, loaded, and area cleaned up in a couple hrs. As it was 2 days later and there is still work to be done on the site.

Thats the way this one landed. Now you have to play the weight game all the way down that trunk. Heres another one from a couple years ago. 44 inchs on this one.

Attachments

• oakaaaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg
    oakaaaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 504
smokinjay said:
lukem said:
smokinjay said:

I would just face cut it as normal and run a long bar. Make sure your stance is set to slide back and out. If it baber its no big deal.

That's probably what I'll do, but even if i know they're going to barber...it still scares the crap out of me when they pop.

lukem said:
smokinjay said:
lukem said:
smokinjay said:

That's probably what I'll do, but even if i know they're going to barber...it still scares the crap out of me when they pop.

That big I have never had one barber even hollow, but I darn sure would be ready for it though.

Yeah Jay, I don't have pics but I was working up some 45 inch white oak rounds this weekend. One round equals a bunch of splits. YEEE HAWWW.

Possibly bucking a 48" Oak for a friend.

Jags said:
Yeah Jay, I don't have pics but I was working up some 45 inch white oak rounds this weekend. One round equals a bunch of splits. YEEE HAWWW.

Yea I get the no pick thing. Sometime I just wished I never found it. This thing been down for years still squeezing juice out of it.

smokinjay said:
lukem said:
smokinjay said:
lukem said:
smokinjay said:

That big I have never had one barber even hollow, but I darn sure would be ready for it though.

If it isn't hollow it is going on the mill for fence posts.

smokinjay said:
Jags said:

Yea I get the no pick thing. Sometime I just wished I never found it. This thing been down for years still squeezing juice out of it.

I just don't carry the camera every time I want to go split for an hour. :lol:

Those big ones will not dry till they are split. Plain and simple.

lukem said:
smokinjay said:
lukem said:
smokinjay said:
lukem said:
smokinjay" date="1323717761 said:

50 inch bl is going be a force to deal with!

how many cords have you pulled from this one?

smokinjay said:
lukem said:
smokinjay said:
lukem said:
smokinjay said:
lukem" date="1323719778 said:

Going to suck flipping it.

Bocefus78 said:
how many cords have you pulled from this one?

About 1-1/2 yesterday and that was enough to wear out 6 guys. Could not noodle them small enough at the end of the run.....There a butt ton of locust and mulberry left and going back soon!
This is another one of those tree that already got cut as far as there saws would handle.

lukem said:
smokinjay said:
lukem said:
smokinjay said:
lukem said:
smokinjay" date="1323719937 said:

Yea and making your cutting runs that bl dull chains very quick in the milling runs. I have never seen one that big.

smokinjay said:

Nice size tree Smokin, are you saving any for milling?

zap

zapny said:
smokinjay said:

Nice size tree Smokin, are you saving any for milling?

zap

Heck no! These are just to big it would take 120hrs+ to do one. (Firewood)

I love these big boys. less overall time to get a load of splits and i end up with nice square barkless wood. also less if any limbs to deal with. often i get a big trunk only because someone already got there and took all the small stuff they could with their toy saws. I cut up a 42" 6 cord oak and a smaller 32" oak. i prefer the biggies!

smokinjay said:
lukem said:
smokinjay said:
lukem said:
smokinjay said:
lukem" date="1323722003 said:
smokinjay" date="1323719937 said:

Yea and making your cutting runs that bl dull chains very quick in the milling runs. I have never seen one that big.

Using a woodmizer, so no sharpening...just swap out blades. Can make quick work of it once it is in position, but getting it in position will take some grunt.

Status
Not open for further replies.