50 years burning but never this soon!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
fbelec said:
colebrookman said:
Backwoods Savage said:
Over 50 years actually of burning wood and we've never had a fire this early. I gave in this morning and lit a small fire to take the chill off. It did not get as cold as forecast but still was a bit nippy. I could have started a fire yesterday morning but refused to have a fire in August.

Now it is supposed to warm up for a few days but still nights in the 40's.
Hey Dennis it just proves as you get older you get smarter. Let the young ones freeze their b er tails off, I'm staying warm. It was so cold last night I saw a chicken cross the road with a capon.
Ed

badoom chessssssssss

Why in the world would the chicken (i.e., Hen) be interested in a capon, which is a castrated rooster (http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-capon.htm , http://www.thefreedictionary.com/capon) ??

Peace,
- Sequoia

No fire this morning. It was pretty cool but it really warmed fast.

I went for a haircut this morning so rode my bike. I had to dress warm though. However, before I got there (15 miles) I was shedding clothing and I was pretty sweaty. It was a nice ride though. 33 miles total. I'm closing in on 3,000 miles now.

Backwoods Savage said:
I went for a haircut this morning so rode my bike. I had to dress warm though. However, before I got there (15 miles) I was shedding clothing and I was pretty sweaty. It was a nice ride though. 33 miles total. I'm closing in on 3,000 miles now.

That's great Dennis, very impressive!

Hiram Maxim said:
Dennis,

It was a damn cold Michigan night for the end of August! :bug:

I walked out the door at about 7am this morning and marched right back in for my jacket!

We may have another cold......cold, Michigan Winter???

Oh man, we're screwed now. You just had to say what I was thinking, huh!

Dave

Backwoods Savage said:

Is that a lifetime or a yearly total? Either way great work. As for haircuts I'm finally in fashion with all the head shaved coiffures. Bald is finally beautiful again.
Ed

colebrookman said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Is that a lifetime or a yearly total? Either way great work. As for haircuts I'm finally in fashion with all the head shaved coiffures. Bald is finally beautiful again.
Ed

I haven't paid for a hair cut since 1989 since I started shaving my head. Wonder how much money I've saved over the years?

hey todd. the money you saved, you can buy a stove :)

No fire yet, but I did have to go to the fur lined slippers and put the flip flops away for my night time lounging. I would love to hold off until October, ideally post-Columbus day. Not looking promising on that front. Lows in the 50's this week.

I ran my NG furnace this morning. For a quick cycle it costs almost nothing. A fire would have cooked me out. Time to order the last 4 windows then the main level of the house is all new windows... Yep, its almost time!!!

colebrookman said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Ed

Ed, that is this year. I really don't know for sure on the lifetime but it should be a pretty good total. The most ever in one year was somewhere between 5,000 and 6,000 miles.

I'd planned on trying for a 200 mile day this summer but it is not going to happen this year but 100 isn't too difficult. I love those long rides! But now I'll start tapering off on the daily mileage.

Status
Not open for further replies.