$500 a cord in Mass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Place near me usually drops price in the spring summer to $300 a cord. Local guy charges $250 so I have options. Not burning nearly what I thought I would. Might need to buy a cord to add to the rotation. Was not use to the efficiency of the new EPA stoves with secondary burn systems.

Place near me usually drops price in the spring summer to $300 a cord. Local guy charges $250 so I have options. Not burning nearly what I thought I would. Might need to buy a cord to add to the rotation. Was not use to the efficiency of the new EPA stoves with secondary burn systems.
I also haven't burned anywhere close to what I normally would due to the weather. I've even been burning on 40- 50 degree days when I'd normally run my heat pump to save on electricity with the new rates. I budget for 4 cords a year and have used about 2 cords so far and it's already mid February with no cold in sight. I'm used to burning mostly 24/7 end of Dec through Feb but I don't think I've kept it going more than 3 or 4 days this year.

I understand climate change is real but this year is exceptional. Record setting warm temps are 5-7+ degrees above historical averages around here. Maple season is completely out of whack. It typically doesn't start until next week at the earliest and this year it's been happening for weeks/might be over soon. Just really weird all around. I'm a New Englander I enjoy winter and the seasonal changes. This winter has been a bummer for everything but my wood stack. I'm gaining a full half a year of stock.

Agree Caw. I’m a true New England also and love the seasonal changes but I’m a guy that likes cool weather so the Fall is my favorite time of year. Enjoy hunting in the Berkshires and Maine. Hot weather is not my thing unless I’m on a boat Striper fishing. It’s 41 now and I’m burning some cherry. Managed to cut my natural gas bill in half this season and my Fujitsu mini split inverter does not draw much when used in the shoulder season. Actually looking forward to stacking some wood this spring!

Reactions: kennyp2339
We can thank a very strong low-pressure system over the Aleutian islands for the milder winter this year on the east coast, even though we had strong episodes of cold air, the strong low-pressure system kept a more zonal pattern with moderate pacific air moving west to east, even without any support from the southern tropical jet stream.

Reactions: Ashful