Not completely lost, but need some guidance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, the video inspection of the chimney revealed a chimney in worse shape than I'd hoped - plenty of glazing on the tiles, and what look like at least 2 cracked tiles. Unfortunately, it's no DIY job as the tiles are too narrow to install a chimney without removing the old tiles. It looks like the best deal is to install a 6" liner, which will also force me to install a new stove, since the old stove has a 7" pipe, which the former owner stepped down to fit to a 6" fitting. What a mess.

No matter what, that chimney needs a new liner, or the right thing to do is abandon the stove. My ultimate goal is to have a stove in the family room, and an insert in the living room. It's cheaper to do the chimney in the living room, but when I go for the fireplace insert I'm going to be looking for best quality, so that's not going to happen until next year.

In the meantime - a couple of you mentioned getting a budget stove, or moving the stove downstairs into the family room. Either option would work - the stove in the cellar is a 6" stove, it's on "Old Mill." Great looking stove, but still older tech. I'd have to have to hire someone to hoist it upstairs; there's no way I could even assist on that effort. I'm not young, and I have a bad shoulder which is fine as long as I don't aggravate it.

So as far as new, EPA-rated stoves, what's the "best of the cheap" if I may ask. I looked at the Englander 30-NC, but I'm also considering it's little sister, the 17-NC. I'm thinking use it to augment the electric heat this year, and go for a Harman pellet insert in the living room come spring.

Any thoughts?

Thanks again, this forum has already saved me from making expensive mistakes!
do you have ACE hardware out there? They have an insert on sale for $875 here.

We do, and I'll definitely take a look - thanks for the tip!
Its an online only price, but pickup is at the store after shipped, out here anyway, Good luck! I would like something bigger but I cant get that price off my mind. We also have to clean out and reline our chimney too, (sigh)

It's the same deal here, pickup only. The chimney problem stinks, but it it was it is. Building inspector gave me some input, told me that it might be cheaper to knock the chimney down and rebuild it, or just abandon it altogether and go up through the ceiling with a new chimney. He might be right, so I have some homework to do.He also suggested that it might be a lot cheaper to line it for pellet use, instead of wood. Regardless, the glazing has to come off that liner if I use it. But getting rid of the glaze might be lot easier and cheaper than chipping out the existing liner. He was actually very helpful, gave me a number of suggestions I need to follow through on.

Reactions: wildwildwest
It's the same deal here, pickup only. The chimney problem stinks, but it it was it is. Building inspector gave me some input, told me that it might be cheaper to knock the chimney down and rebuild it, or just abandon it altogether and go up through the ceiling with a new chimney. He might be right, so I have some homework to do.He also suggested that it might be a lot cheaper to line it for pellet use, instead of wood. Regardless, the glazing has to come off that liner if I use it. But getting rid of the glaze might be lot easier and cheaper than chipping out the existing liner. He was actually very helpful, gave me a number of suggestions I need to follow through on.

I think I understand your situation but I think we are using the same words for different things? LOL could be dialects too. We are planning on removing the creosote glaze (leaving the existing chimney intact) then adding something like this through the chimney.

316Ti_Chimney_Champion_Easy_Flex_Chimney_Liner_Kit_-_3_1-450px.jpg

The above pic is what I understood is a "liner". Though I know many have a terracotta liner too.

We hired a chimney sweep who wants to use a spinning tool with chains to crack our glaze off. Also looking into chemicals to help remove with the glaze too if needed. Are any of those options for you?

Are there any other members that can chime in whether this is safe or not?

Using chains will work but if your clay liners are cracked i would never do it it will make the cracks worse the chemicals can work also

We now have a terra cotta liner. It's in bad shape. What you are describing is what I want to do, but the chimney sweep I've been dealing with wants to chip out our old terra cotta liner before installing a steel liner as you show in your example. To re-use our old chimney, that's probably the right option and I might go with that. Trying to think differently, it may be cheaper to just destroy the old chimney, or abandon it. For now, I need to see if I can remove the creosote glaze from the our existing terra cotta, or hire someone to do that. It's a real challenge, because our current hearth/chimney location really is the best place for any stove, either wood or pellet.

We now have a terra cotta liner. It's in bad shape. What you are describing is what I want to do, but the chimney sweep I've been dealing with wants to chip out our old terra cotta liner before installing a steel liner as you show in your example. To re-use our old chimney, that's probably the right option and I might go with that. Trying to think differently, it may be cheaper to just destroy the old chimney, or abandon it. For now, I need to see if I can remove the creosote glaze from the our existing terra cotta, or hire someone to do that. It's a real challenge, because our current hearth/chimney location really is the best place for any stove, either wood or pellet.
We just put in a pellet stove in another part of the house, granted its a one story. We did a self install, I wonder if that would less expensive than repairing your chimney? I know this was discussed earlier in your thread, might be worth revisiting.

We just put in a pellet stove in another part of the house, granted its a one story. We did a self install, I wonder if that would less expensive than repairing your chimney? I know this was discussed earlier in your thread, might be worth revisiting.

I'm seriously considering putting in a pellet stove. If I do, I want to use that location and that chimney (with a liner). Local stove shops are telling me I can just put a cheap uninsulated liner down there and everything will be okay. I'm skeptical, still think the liner should at least be insulated.

If you have the space inside the flue I would highly recommend insulating the liner.

still think the liner should at least be insulated.
I agree i think every liner can benefit greatly from insulation even pellet liners. in that case Insulation is typically not required but we still do it the same as with oil and gas furnace liners nothing says we have to do it but they work better when they are insulated

Status
Not open for further replies.