50Fuel-Pre-Mixed Fuel?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dogsluvtrux

Jul 14, 2009
Central Illinois
Anybody heard of this stuff? Used it?

Basically it's a quart of pre-mixed fuel, synthetic oil and stabilizer added. Don't know if any serious woodcutters would use it, but I'm looking at picking it up for our dealership for homeowners. Sells for about $5 per quart (yeah, that's $20 a gallon for gas), but it's convenient, 92 octane and doesn't have any ethanol which is impossible to find here in Illinois.

they sell it around here never use it but I can see home owner's buying it. For me I can go through a gallon in 4 hrs. so it would be the home owners market for sure

I have used it. I bought a can to have around for when I ran out of my own mix. Came in mighty handy. Too pricey for full time use but not bad to have around for back-up.

dogsluvtrux said:
Anybody heard of this stuff? Used it?

Basically it's a quart of pre-mixed fuel, synthetic oil and stabilizer added. Don't know if any serious woodcutters would use it, but I'm looking at picking it up for our dealership for homeowners. Sells for about $5 per quart (yeah, that's $20 a gallon for gas), but it's convenient, 92 octane and doesn't have any ethanol which is impossible to find here in Illinois.

I can't think of any reason I or anybody else would.

It is difficult to believe anyone would actually buy that stuff. It is too easy to mix your own a whale of a lot cheaper. Let me see, you need some oil, some gas and some stablizer. That is not too difficult.

I had a customer yesterday bring in a three month old MS290, that wasn't running anymore. Opened it up and the piston was starting to melt. Talked to the customer...after his telling me the saw seemed to run better on straight gas and upset I would not warranty the saw...I'm starting to see some of the benefits of this stuff. I don't know any other way to say it....Warranty does not cover stupid!

I guess I see it's real benefit to a homeowner with a 1/3 acre lot that mixes 1 gallon of mix, tries to run that same gallon all year long, and wonders why their string trimmer/blower/chainsaw "just doesn't seem to have as power power as it used to..."

Wow!! I guess he does not understand how a 2 cycle motor works. I would not cover under warranty either.

I mix up a gallon at a time but also put stabilizer in every time I buy gas.

I've seen discussion of the premix stuff, and it seemed like the big advantage to it is for the homeowner or other that doesn't use a saw on a heavy or frequent basis, but just has one for "storm cleanups" and the like... It is something that one can get a can of, and just leave it sit on the shelf for a year or two until needed.

Put it in the same category as that ultra-pasteurized, no-refrigeration neeeded milk - mostly people wouldn't drink it every day, but it's nice to have in the emergency supply cabinet...

(Given their faith's requirement to have emergency supplies on hand (Not a bad idea IMHO), I'd bet the Mormons would love that pre-mix gas, as it would be a nice way to fill that need...

Gooserider

dogsluvtrux said:
I had a customer yesterday bring in a three month old MS290, that wasn't running anymore. Opened it up and the piston was starting to melt. Talked to the customer...after his telling me the saw seemed to run better on straight gas and upset I would not warranty the saw...I'm starting to see some of the benefits of this stuff. I don't know any other way to say it....Warranty does not cover stupid!

I guess I see it's real benefit to a homeowner with a 1/3 acre lot that mixes 1 gallon of mix, tries to run that same gallon all year long, and wonders why their string trimmer/blower/chainsaw "just doesn't seem to have as power power as it used to..."

Anyone THAT stupid has no business running a saw.

You would be amazed at some of the things I've seen....customers renting a diesel machine and filling it with gas and upset when it stopped running, customers running wrong chains....I've even had a customer hit their house with with a rental excavator and send me a bill for the repair....Still haven't figured that one out....

dogsluvtrux said:
You would be amazed at some of the things I've seen....customers renting a diesel machine and filling it with gas and upset when it stopped running, customers running wrong chains....I've even had a customer hit their house with with a rental excavator and send me a bill for the repair....Still haven't figured that one out....

I can top that one - I used to be on the board of our state's Motorcyclists Rights Organization. The group put on an annual fall rally as a fund raiser every year, it was one of our two main fundraising efforts that kept us in business... After one rally, we got a letter from a lawyer saying that his client was suing us because his client had managed to break his ankle, while fornicating in his tent, in the presence of witnesses... (And that this was somehow our fault...)

We discussed this and decided that the best response was to write back to the lawyer, informing him that our assets consisted of a couple of obsolete PC's, and an office full of 4th hand furniture - which the lawyer was welcome to, as our team of expert dumpster divers was ready and willing to go get replacements as needed... Also that we looked forward to asking his client (and the witnesses) in open court, just HOW he had managed to break his ankle, while fornicating in his tent, in the presence of witnesses, and after doing so, explain how it was our fault....

We never heard anything further...

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.