55 Gallon Hefty Rubbermaid Garbage Cans!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NordicSplitter

Minister of Fire
May 22, 2011
Western,NY
Just discovered a great use for my extra 55 Gallon Hefty Garbage Cans....Since out town has switched over to large 90 Gallon totes, I found myself with 4 extra Hefty Rubbermaid garbage cans....Use found: Put dry seasoned wood in them and store them right outside the front or back door. Easy to move..they slide on the snow or ice, so weight is no problem. Cover then and let it snow like crazy.. Also dry wood for the taking. Filled them with ash, black locust and maple.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Got one in the basement now that I use for kindling. Most of the kindling is splitter slag that lays in the processing area, so it can be wet. I leave it in the can inside the basement and it is ready to go in no time.

Good idea!
I have one full of kindling out by the wood shed.

Keep your wood dry ;)

Reactions: Pallet Pete
I keep a garbage can in the garage that I fill up along with my wheelbarrrow every other day. Works great. I also have a smaller tote next to it for kindling and any bark that falls off the wood that I bring in. Try to keep as much out of the actual house as I can.

Just discovered a great use for my extra 55 Gallon Hefty Garbage Cans....Since out town has switched over to large 90 Gallon totes, I found myself with 4 extra Hefty Rubbermaid garbage cans....Use found: Put dry seasoned wood in them and store them right outside the front or back door. Easy to move..they slide on the snow or ice, so weight is no problem. Cover then and let it snow like crazy.. Also dry wood for the taking. Filled them with ash, black locust and maple.

You know I am gonna use this Idea ! Thanks for posting this. I think I am gonna put a sled under two barrels and use my winch to pull it up onto the porch ! Very cool Idea dzych2 :)

Reactions: dzych2
Status
Not open for further replies.