55 to 60 cc chainsaw opinions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

max384

Nov 28, 2015
Eagle Rock, PA
Hey guys

I'm in the market for a new chainsaw. I currently have a Husqvarna 435, a craftsman 38 cc, and an electric pole trimmer. I love the Husqvarna, but it's lacking in the power department. It's probably ten years old or better, and has seen a lot of use, but is a great saw. It's just to too small for what I'm using it for. I hate the craftsman; it vibrates so bad that it's miserable to use... And is also underpowered.

I'll be using it to cut firewood, about two cords a year. Most of the wood I cut is red or white oak. The largest diameter trees are about 24" in diameter, most are 12-18". The 435 simply struggles too much with this job.

So I'm looking for a chainsaw in the 55 to 60 cc range. Since I already have a Husqvarna that I like, the 455 and 460 are on my list. I'm also looking at the Stihl MS 291 and MS 311. I recently was looking at the Echo CS 590. The Echo is very enticing, considering the price. The warranty is great, as are the features, and it has excellent user reviews online. But why is it so much cheaper than similar Husqvarna and Stihl offerings?

What are everyone's opinions? Is this size chainsaw appropriate for my intended use?

And I know I can get more saw for less money if I buy used, but I want a brand new saw. I'm comfortable wrenching on my own equipment, but quite frankly I don't enjoy it or have the time for it.

Thanks in advance!

The 590 gets excellent reviews because it's a good value, priced like a homeowner model but built like a professional saw, with a vertically split magnesium crankcase and easily removable cylinder instead of the plastic chassis and clamshell motor used on what we call "homeowner" saws. All of the other models you mentioned are of the latter type, though they're marketed as farm and ranch saws because they're larger than anything an average homeowner needs. Saws built on plastic chassis are usually heavier than comparable professional-style saws. They also tend to perform a little worse, and are often harder to work on. The 590 enjoys some of the benefits of a pro-style saw, being more durable and easy to work on, but it's kinda heavy for the power it produces. Despite its construction style, it doesn't perform like a real professional saw.

To get a similarly constructed machine from Stihl, you'd have to step up to the 261 or 362, which would out-perform the 590 but be a lot more expensive. The Husqvarna analogues would be the 545, 550XP, 555 and 562XP. Those are cheaper than the Stihls, but still significantly more expensive than the Echo.

Echos in general are positioned as a value brand, not the bestest machines ever but solid and reliable, at prices that are hard to argue with. Stihl and Husqvarna own most of the market for premium saws, though they both offer cheaper models like the ones you mentioned.

In your position I would not consider any of the Stihl or Husqvarna models you mentioned. The pro-model Stihls are probably outside your budget. My list of candidates would be the 590, Husqvarna 555 and Dolmar 6100. Given that most of the trees you cut are 12-18" I might even consider a Husky 545 or 550XP, but only if the 24" trees are fairly rare. All of these Husky models (545, 550XP, 555) have self-adjusting carburetors that use an onboard computer to keep them in tune.

Last edited:
If you like Huskys another alternative may be their sister brand -- Jonsered. I recently bought the 2258 which is very similar to the Husky 555. I bought it to replace a quite old Husky 350 that was a real work horse, but was quite frankly ready to be fixed up (plus I was ready for just a bit more power.) Quite honestly, I liked my Huskqvarna and it owed me nothing . . . and so I looked pretty hard at that brand along with Jonsered.

I don't know if it would be the case with you, but I found the Jonsered prices were a tad lower than the Huskys.

The 590 gets excellent reviews because it's a good value, priced like a homeowner model but built like a professional saw, with a vertically split magnesium crankcase and easily removable cylinder instead of the plastic chassis and clamshell motor used on what we call "homeowner" saws. All of the other models you mentioned are of the latter type, though they're marketed as farm and ranch saws because they're larger than anything an average homeowner needs. Saws built on plastic chassis are usually heavier than comparable professional-style saws. They also tend to perform a little worse, and are often harder to work on. The 590 enjoys some of the benefits of a pro-style saw, being more durable and easy to work on, but it's kinda heavy for the power it produces. Despite its construction style, it doesn't perform like a real professional saw.

To get a similarly constructed machine from Stihl, you'd have to step up to the 261 or 362, which would out-perform the 590 but be a lot more expensive. The Husqvarna analogues would be the 545, 550XP, 555 and 562XP. Those are cheaper than the Stihls, but still significantly more expensive than the Echo.

Echos in general are positioned as a value brand, not the bestest machines ever but solid and reliable, at prices that are hard to argue with. Stihl and Husqvarna own most of the market for premium saws, though they both offer cheaper models like the ones you mentioned.

In your position I would not consider any of the Stihl or Husqvarna models you mentioned. The pro-model Stihls are probably outside your budget. My list of candidates would be the 590, Husqvarna 555 and Dolmar 6100. Given that most of the trees you cut are 12-18" I might even consider a Husky 545 or 550XP, but only if the 24" trees are fairly rare. All of these Husky models (545, 550XP, 555) have self-adjusting carburetors that use an onboard computer to keep them in tune.

Thanks for your reply. Yes, trees in the 24" range are a rarity for me, but occasionally I'll tackle them (and what a pain with the 435). The 590 is seeming like the best option for the price so far.

If you like Huskys another alternative may be their sister brand -- Jonsered. I recently bought the 2258 which is very similar to the Husky 555. I bought it to replace a quite old Husky 350 that was a real work horse, but was quite frankly ready to be fixed up (plus I was ready for just a bit more power.) Quite honestly, I liked my Huskqvarna and it owed me nothing . . . and so I looked pretty hard at that brand along with Jonsered.

I don't know if it would be the case with you, but I found the Jonsered prices were a tad lower than the Huskys.

I had seen the Jonsered brand saws at Tractor Supply Co. before, but hadn't heard if the brand, so I never paid much attention to them. I'll have to check out their offerings. Thanks.

If you need dealer support then I'd shop dealers over brand.

I have no experience with echo but like the others have said, they are positioned as a value brand. Their blowers and trimmers are excellent so im sure their saws are darn good too.

For what your cutting I think a 60cc saw makes sense. Oak is hard dense wood and is harder on saws than other types of wood. A 60cc saw will make short work of oak in the size range of wood your looking at.

I only buy commercial grade pro saws because I use them a lot. I also find it easier to work on. But if your only cutting 2 cords a year I wouldn't rule out the farm and ranch models all together. They are targeted at someone who cuts probably the volume your looking at.

If your buying a pro saw though, you can't go wrong with any brand really, Stihl, Husky, Jonsered, Echo , Dolmar, etc they are all well designed rugged saws. That's why I say shop dealer over brand especially if your not going to work on the saw yourself.

If you need dealer support then I'd shop dealers over brand.

I have no experience with echo but like the others have said, they are positioned as a value brand. Their blowers and trimmers are excellent so im sure their saws are darn good too.

For what your cutting I think a 60cc saw makes sense. Oak is hard dense wood and is harder on saws than other types of wood. A 60cc saw will make short work of oak in the size range of wood your looking at.

I only buy commercial grade pro saws because I use them a lot. I also find it easier to work on. But if your only cutting 2 cords a year I wouldn't rule out the farm and ranch models all together. They are targeted at someone who cuts probably the volume your looking at.

If your buying a pro saw though, you can't go wrong with any brand really, Stihl, Husky, Jonsered, Echo , Dolmar, etc they are all well designed rugged saws. That's why I say shop dealer over brand especially if your not going to work on the saw yourself.

Thanks for your reply. Good to know I'm on the right track size-wise for my next chainsaw. I'm all caught up on wood for the year, so I've got ask winter to shop around.

I plan to do the work myself... I'd just rather buy new this time. With the exception of my push mower and weedwacker, I've bought all of my gas operated toools and toys used, both chainsaws, riding mower, snow blower, many dirt bikes and motorcycles... And wrenching is part of buying used (and eventually new too, of course). But I'm at the point now that I'd rather buy new, and know exactly how it was used (or abused).

I've got a Husqvarna rancher 455 and a few or six other saws. I had acess to an echo 590 for a while a did some timed cuts and it blew the doors off of my Rancher 455. Admittedly it wasn't a fair fight because the Husky is older, but the difference in performance was HUGE.
I also have an echo trimmer, pole saw, and backpack blower. They've all been great tools. Super reliable and powerful and lots of bang for the buck. There's nothing wrong with Echo stuff at all.

I have an Echo 590 with a 20" bar, have been very happy with it. With a sharp chain, I can bury the bar in oak and it keeps pulling. If the chain is dull, it logs a bit.

Reactions: max384
That's good to hear. How long have you had it and how much have you cut? Any problems so far?

Ive only had it about 6 months so probably only a cord cut during this hot spring and summer. My other saw is an Echo cs352. I have ran that little saw way harder than recommended and no problems with it either.

I ran a husky 460, and currently run an echo cs490 and 590. The 490 beats the doors of the husky, and the 590 spoiled me so bad I'm selling the 460.
The 490 revs high, but will bog with the 20" bar buried in a log, I use it for limbing. The 590 revs high and has serious guts, it is heavier, but about the same as the 460.
From what I read, the echo brand is older technology, and needs to be tweaked when new, as they come extra lean from the factory to deal with EPA garbage.

Echo or Dolmar to save a few bucks. Stihl if money is no object in that class.

Stihl if money is no object in that class.

Opinions are all over the map.

To the original poster if money is no object in that class how about the Husky 562xp or sister company Jonsered 2260. Lighter than the Stihl ms362, more RPMs, and you actually get a metal handle bar instead of plastic.

Just saying

All joking aside it's easy to buy more saw than you need. As I mentioned above in my honest opinion if your only cutting 2 cords a year, there's nothing wrong with a farm and ranch saw from any of the brands mentioned in this post. You save a ton of money and at 2 cords a year the saw will last a very long time if you take care of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: firefighterjake
I have a Dolmar 510 and 6100 - the 510 could cut two cords per year really well with the oak you are talking about. The 6100 would make real short work of the oak you described. Mine pulls a 20" bar really nice through oak. Price for these saws is really good. Also, some people are really liking the 421 Dolmar (I'm looking at one of these next...)

Have fun shopping!!

I asked the same question here. I had done a lot of research and narrowed it down to 55-60cc Stihl, Husky, and Echo saws.

After tons of helpful discussion I wound up buying a 64cc Dolmar, and I'm glad I didn't go smaller. (It's a great saw too, and as you can see in that other thread, used blue ones are regularly available at Home Depot tool rentals.)

Reactions: Catfish Hunter
I have no experience with oak but I love my Sthil271. It starts like a charm and chews through everything i have thrown at it. It's easy to maintain also. Keeping your chain sharp is critical. One thing i have to admit is that my while i can start it every time after two or three pulls my wife always needs help getting it running.

Figured I'd chime in I went through this last year and ended up with the CS590 and have not had any issues with it. Running the 20" bar (have a 24" bar wrapped as a birthday present I'm not allowed to have for another month) as an option. Won't get a whole lot of use but I wanted a second bar I could swap to if I got something stuck. And this gave me a little more versatility; will probably rarely be used though.

I'm 32 so I know that this won't be my last saw. It's a little heavier than the stihl and husq for the same power but at this point in time I am willing to settle for more weight to spend less money. 10-15 years from now that will probably change and hopefully I'll be in a better position to spend more money on a saw once kids are out of the house, etc.

I'm a Stihl guy but bought the Echo 590 when my MS360 blew up (again). No regrets, but since CAD bit me it doesn't see as much use as it used to. As mentioned, open up the muffler and it rips. My .02

Good option to shop for factory-refurb non-pro Husqies: VMInnovations-dot-com
I've owned 455, now own a Dolly 6100. No comparison. The Dolly sings- peak power at 10K. Smooth, powerful, badass. Handles 24" effortlessly.
Yes, the 590 is a good-un, but the 6100 is a fun badass. Don't need no steenkin dealer. Or training wheels.

now own a Dolly 6100. No comparison. The Dolly sings- peak power at 10K

10,000 rpm seems way too low. Should be couple thousand rpm higher than that. Have you put a tach on it and tuned it ? If all your getting is 10,000 rpm your missing a good amount of power. Since that saw is non auto tune you can actually tune it and if it's seeing use in both winter and summer climates will have to tune it ( for optimal performance) so I'd double check your tuning. There's no way I'd ever be happy with that saw only spinning 10,000 rpm.

My Jonsered 2166/2172 which is a 70cc pro saw I tune it to roughly 12,500 rpm. My ported 50cc pro saw spins dam near 15,000 rpm.

10k seems way low rpm for that saw. Older saws from 30 or 40 years ago that would sound about right but not on a modern pro 60cc saw.

Last edited:
10,000 rpm seems way too low. Should be couple thousand rpm higher than that. Have you put a tach on it and tuned it ? If all your getting is 10,000 rpm your missing a good amount of power. Since that saw is non auto tune you can actually tune it and if it's seeing use in both winter and summer climates will have to tune it ( for optimal performance) so I'd double check your tuning. There's no way I'd ever be happy with that saw only spinning 10,000 rpm.

My Jonsered 2166/2172 which is a 70cc pro saw I tune it to roughly 12,500 rpm. My ported 50cc pro saw spins dam near 15,000 rpm.

10k seems way low rpm for that saw. Older saws from 30 or 40 years ago that would sound about right but not on a modern pro 60cc saw.

He said peak power. Which is @ 10,200 on your 2172 according to specs.