55 to 60 cc chainsaw opinions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
The saw came in today. Didn't get a chance to use it, on account of getting home from work too late. Looking forward to doing some cutting tomorrow, or over the weekend at the latest!

20170830_210107-X2.jpg

The saw came in today. Didn't get a chance to use it, on account of getting home from work too late. Looking forward to doing some cutting tomorrow, or over the weekend at the latest!

OK, get that puppy dirty!

Are you going to upgrade the bar/chain?

Reactions: max384
Check the tune. I read a ton of folks saying Echos come a bit lean.

Reactions: TreePointer
What gauge of chain are you running on that saw?

Stock chain. 0.050" gauge, 3/8" pitch.
Thats a very good combo! I wasn't sure as I am not familiar with the Echo saws but I am very familiar with that chain and run nothing but full chisel on all of my saws...try one and you will be very impressed with the performance of a full chisel chain.

Reactions: max384
Not happy.

On my third time using this saw, over the weekend, it wouldn't start for me. Followed regular starting procedure as recommended in the manual. Air filter was clean, pulled the spark plug, and it was wet, so it was getting fuel. I know it was getting spark because it ran for a couple of seconds. I pulled and pulled and pulled, and after I was drenched in sweat and ready to throw the saw, it finally started up, and ran beautifully. This is NOT what I expect from a new saw purchase, used two times previously...

Sorry to hear that. Was it a cold or hot start?

Not happy.

On my third time using this saw, over the weekend, it wouldn't start for me. Followed regular starting procedure as recommended in the manual. Air filter was clean, pulled the spark plug, and it was wet, so it was getting fuel. I know it was getting spark because it ran for a couple of seconds. I pulled and pulled and pulled, and after I was drenched in sweat and ready to throw the saw, it finally started up, and ran beautifully. This is NOT what I expect from a new saw purchase, used two times previously...

Sounds like it needs a proper tuning.

Plug wet - flooded- takes quite a bit the clear it out. Particularly with with automatic chokes

Not happy.

If the plug was wet, it will be a really hard start on any saw.

Since you already took the plug out, hit it with starter/brake fluid to dust it off and it will fire right up. Unless something else is amiss.

I don't follow any standard procedure because I'm a know-it-all engineer and I know better! :) I see what works for each saw and do what works. I find each saw is a bit different, even from same make and model. Just like cars, trucks and motorcycles.

I hit the bulb a few times. Pull the choke all the way out. If that doesn't immediately fire it up, I half choke or cut the choke and that works. That's sort of my "go-to" procedure for anything. Flooding is the worst so I err on the side of not flooding it.

My first echo...2 pushes on the bulb. Full choke, 2 pulls. No choke 1 pull. Every time.

Oh....I like your bar! :)

Last edited:
I hit the bulb a few times. Pull the choke all the way out. If that doesn't immediately fire it up, I half choke or cut the choke and that works. That's sort of my "go-to" procedure for anything. Flooding is the worst so I err on the side of not flooding it.

Good advice. Works on most anything. If it doesn't start, you can always re-apply the choke, no harm, no foul.

That's very similar to the procedure I use on a Stilh MS-361. On full choke, the initial pop is sometimes difficult to detect, so I learned never to pull more than 3 times on full choke. After I move the switch to "fast idle," if it doesn't start after a couple of pulls, I move it to RUN and pull to prevent flooding.

When I first started using it, I flooded it a lot before I learned what it liked. I never did have to pull the plug after flooding, though. I moved the control switch to RUN and the flood would clear within 10 pulls.

Sorry for the long time between updates, but I don't log in here regularly. Anyhow, I adjusted my starting procedure just a tad, and everything seems to be working just fine. A little finicky to start up... Not nearly as easy as my Husqvarna... But something I can live with.