55 trpah tripping GFI

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bond1973

Nov 18, 2008
Weare, NH
Have had this 55 TRPAH for a few years now. I've had some issues, but a new one has cropped up. Tried firing it up last night as the temps in NH are getting Cooooold. Turned it on, could hear the blower fan start, hear the auger spinning and then the whole thing shut down. Traced it down to a GFI on the circuit. There's less plugged in now than there was when I used it last year, so I don't believe I'm overloading the circuit at all. I'll not an electrician. Just realized there's nothing else plugged in on that circuit so I should probably test it with something other than the stove... I yanked the auger motor and tested it outside the stove. Cleared the auger pathway. Checked to make sure the exhaust blower was spinning and not seized up. I'll put something else in to check the circuit, but looking for any other thoughts and things to check.

Thanks
Rick

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Have had this 55 TRPAH for a few years now. I've had some issues, but a new one has cropped up. Tried firing it up last night as the temps in NH are getting Cooooold. Turned it on, could hear the blower fan start, hear the auger spinning and then the whole thing shut down. Traced it down to a GFI on the circuit. There's less plugged in now than there was when I used it last year, so I don't believe I'm overloading the circuit at all. I'll not an electrician. Just realized there's nothing else plugged in on that circuit so I should probably test it with something other than the stove... I yanked the auger motor and tested it outside the stove. Cleared the auger pathway. Checked to make sure the exhaust blower was spinning and not seized up. I'll put something else in to check the circuit, but looking for any other thoughts and things to check.

Thanks
Rick

Just realized that I cleaned out the stove using my shop vac, which was plugged into that circuit and it didn't trip anything.

Try using an extension on a non gfi circut. If stove works normal i would replace the GFI. They can go bad

Reactions: bond1973
Just realized that I cleaned out the stove using my shop vac, which was plugged into that circuit and it didn't trip anything.

So as suggested I ran an extension cord to a different circuit. Per the picture the stove is now running. I still question if it's the GFI or something about the stove causing the GFI to pop. Don't know why I question it, but I'm the guy that's been running a pellet stove for 8+ years and gets nervous during them up every year. Appreciate the input thus far. Guess I'll replace the GFI and try running back on this circuit and see what happens. Thanks again.
947c334cfdc783f9146f57fe6e6801d8.jpg