562xp Mods/ Bar length change

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Is the oil pump working as it should, is there a screw to increase the oil discharge ..

Now that you mention it, I did not adjust the oiler for the longer bar. It is only 4" though. Would that 4" make a difference like that? The oil oozing out near the end of that bar and around the cover just seemed strange to me.

The oiler is turned up all the way. I sharpened it and played with the chain tension. Sent the weekend cutting up a cherry that was starting to die and had no issues. I didn't run it very long at any one time and the cherry is a lot easier on the saw than the old, hard dead ash I was cutting. Maybe it wasn't as sharp as I thought. Ill keep running it and see if that was the issue.

One thing to consider when modifying a saw muffler is fire season. Especially if your dawging in making low stumps and any moss. Just thought I should throw that out there from my experience with hot rod saws

Didn't want to start a new thread just to ask this question...

Is there supposed to be a screw in here. The lower one has an Allen bolt in it and to be honest, I've never paid attention to it. Felt a little more springy the other day and I am just not sure.

123.jpg

So I watched a video last night by Buckin' Billy. He had a stock 562xp with a 32" bar and chain. He converted it from 3/8 to .325 and his bar was a lighter style bar that isn't made anymore. He was also only cutting really soft wood but it seemed to run fine.

I have no interest in a 32" bar and from anything I read, its way more than what that saw should handle. However, I wouldn't mind a 28". I know it's considered the max my my 562xp, and I have read posts on other forums, but it seems inconclusive on how much this saw will struggle with this change. I do not want to drop to .325 because I don't want to have to change the sprocket to go back to the 20". I really am only considering it so I don't have to bend over so far all the time when bucking smaller logs. Most of what I see are people saying what it should or should not be able to do with 28," but not as many people saying they have actually done it and how it works for them. I do cut mostly hard woods, 4-5 cords a year. Not sure if jumping up to a 24" would be worth the 4" gain but I am open to opinions.

I have also done some looking into muffler mods and there seems to be pretty mixed opinions on that with the 562 as well. Any insight would be appreciated. I am going to cut my cover to allow for more air flow like the newer models have.
100_4750.JPG
562 xp with a 28 inch bar had no problem with these logs !

It's been handling the 24" with no issues. However, it is heavier out on the end. I think if I were to jump up to 28" I will save up a bit more and buy one of the lighter bars.

So after a while running the 24" bar, I love the extra length. I think 24" is the perfect length for my needs. However, the woodlandPRO bar really tips the saw out on the end. I am researching lighter bars and I've come down to the sugihara and the oregon versacut. The sugihara is about twice the price, and I know you get what you pay for, but it seems that the oregon is 2.4 and the sugihara is 2.8. The woodlandPRO I currently have is 3.25. Am I really going to feel the difference in this amount of weight? I know oregon makes a lot of good products, but is it that much cheaper for that price because its junk? Any experience would be appreciated before I purchase. Thanks

I am also going to purchase the 3/4 wrap handle so I will post pictures once I have it all put together.

I have a 24" Husky Light bar for my 562XP. When I bought it from Stahls they told me it was made by Sugihara, and it costs less money than a Sugihara or Tsumura light bar. They don't have them on their site but I'm sure if you call they'll get you setup. The 562 has enough power to pull it with ease in hardwood.

I'm not too far from you I believe. If you want to come over one day and give a test drive, let me know.

I have a 24" Husky Light bar for my 562XP. When I bought it from Stahls they told me it was made by Sugihara, and it costs less money than a Sugihara or Tsumura light bar. They don't have them on their site but I'm sure if you call they'll get you setup. The 562 has enough power to pull it with ease in hardwood.

I'm not too far from you I believe. If you want to come over one day and give a test drive, let me know.
I did not even know Husky made a light bar. I am very interested in that. Looks like amazon has the 24" for 108.00.

Not sure exactly where you are, but I appreciate the offer. It seems you are as much a fan of your 562 as I am.

Last edited:
I did not even know Husky made a light bar. I am very interested in that. Looks like amazon has the 24" for 108.00.

Not sure exactly where you are, but I appreciate the offer. It seems you are as much a fan of your 562 as I am.
If I remember correctly mine was even cheaper from Stahls. I was like a kid in a candy store and ordered all kinds of stuff so the shipping price might off set the savings if you are just ordering a bar. If you have not used the X-Cut chain I'd recommend getting at least one loop. Based off of my experience it stays sharper than Stihl OEM chain.

I went from a MS 290 with green / safety chain ( rakers were filed down some though ) to a 562XP with full chisel X-Cut non-safety chain. It was like going from a Honda Civic to a Porsche. I'm about 20 miles east of Mt Vernon.

Recently built a 372XP clone but I haven’t ran it enough to compare it to the 562XP.

Last edited:
I've pretty much made up my mind that I am going to get the 3/4 handle and dogs kit from baileys as my next step. This summer, with a little extra cash, I think I will for sure buy the X-tough light bar. The more I read, the more I like that it will balance the saw better.

I have mentioned above about maybe a muffler mod, but I don't think I want to damage the OEM one so I have it. What about a custom made muffler on ebay like this one? Am I looking at more problems then gains?

Not really looking to make the saw louder, because it hurts my ears as it is lol, or so much performance improvement, but to keep the saw cooler. It is one of the original 562s and it still is a hard starter when its hot in the summer.

Attachments

• muffler.png
    muffler.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 18