6” Thimble Transition?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Dec 8, 2015
Central Maine
I recently purchased and moved into a home with a brick hearth in the finished, insulated basement. It looks like there was a wood stove previously as there is a 6” thimble to a chimney (goes up through the house to the attic then through roof with a chimney cap). I have a Englander PDV-25 that I’d like to install, the instructions describe using an existing fireplace but what would be required to transition from pellet pipe to the thimble? There is good draft, I can feel the air going up when the plug isn’t installed. Thanks.

Last edited:
Yes you can do it using an chimney adapter
Some people say yes some say no
Mine is installed to a class a insulated wood stove chimney
and has been for 16 years with no problems

Reactions: Ssyko
I went to the local stove shop and they sold me a 6" to 3" adapter to pass the pellet stove pipe through, see attached. Look good?

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_965.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_965.jpeg
    137.5 KB · Views: 99