6 month old VC Defiant disappointment

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
As you can see, VC went generic with their materials. My Cat probe only indicates when it is ready to be activated so you can shut the damper.

View attachment 310833
I've had my stove for 35 years and never had anything monitoring the cat, that's the way it was sold back then. Didn't know it had a removeable plug until this year when I bought a K type high temp thermocouple to monitor the cat.

As you can see, VC went generic with their materials. My Cat probe only indicates when it is ready to be activated so you can shut the damper.

View attachment 310833

So this may be part of yiur issue. You may want to reread your manual.. Your supposed the get the stove up to temperature.. say griddle temperature to 500/550, have coals at the bottom of the stove... THEN CLOSE THE BYPASS to engage the catalyst.. only once the bypass is closed will the bimetal probe show the temperature inside the fireback

I don't even look at the probe. I just use the force. :). Except today I let the morning mini load catch too long and there was that plastic smell again. Stove wasn't exceptionally hot but the stove pipe was. Well at least what was on the glass from overnight is gone now.

I don't even look at the probe. I just use the force. :). Except today I let the morning mini load catch too long and there was that plastic smell again. Stove wasn't exceptionally hot but the stove pipe was. Well at least what was on the glass from overnight is gone now.

It will take a while.. but one day you will be able to run a stove properly.. Im really an optimistic person and am leaning that way..

• Haha
Reactions: TomMcDonald
This is normal other stoves use bimetal thermometers like this.. I walked by a hearthstone today at the stove shop and they use the same thing.. You probably should upgrade to digital.. you catalyst will operate better and longer.
BK too. Many have replaced them with Condar cat probes or a digital probe for a more accurate reading. If you do this make sure the replacement thermometer's probe length matches the factory thermometer.

Another thing that can wreck a cat is thermal shock. If -10º wood is being brought in and dropped right into the stove, that has been known to crack a cat. Steel cats are not prone to this problem, but can have their own issues like more frequent plugging with ash.