6" pipe in a 8" roof boot?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Can that be made water tight?
As long as the storm collar covers the boot i dont see why not? This way would atleast save me some trouble of getting into the shingles this year and down the road i can change it to the correct size boot when i put a new roof on. I kinda like the idea of the support braces anyways?

So i thought i had settled on replacing the boot but had another idea lol what if i drop the 6" pipe through the 8" boot and use one of the chimney pipe support brackets to keep the chimmey in place? I beleive there is a code that if the chimney is a certain heighy you must use one any way correct?
Sounds like a recipe for problems down the road, perhaps when they are most inconvenient. First choice would be to use the proper flashing or reluctantly to use the triple wall DuraPlus pipe.

Roof braces are required for every 5ft of chimney above the roof exit point.

Sounds like a recipe for problems down the road, perhaps when they are most inconvenient. First choice would be to use the proper flashing or reluctantly to use the triple wall DuraPlus pipe.

Roof braces are required for every 5ft of chimney above the roof exit point.
Yeah was just a thought. What holds the chimmney pipe plumb just the roof boot? Thats all thats on my current set up.

Yes, that and sitting squarely on the ceiling support

Another question regarding downsizing pipe? The hole in my finished ceiling is gonna be to big for my new support box to cover, van i just butt wood trim around the new support box? Everything ive read seems like that would be ok?

Another question regarding downsizing pipe? The hole in my finished ceiling is gonna be to big for my new support box to cover, van i just butt wood trim around the new support box? Everything ive read seems like that would be ok?
Yes no problem with doing that