6" pipe on a stove made for 5" pipe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ArbyDean

Feb 1, 2024
Idaho
Hello,

I have narrowed my wood stove search to several different models. The ones that appeal to me most though are European which are set up for use with a 5" pipe. I'd prefer to use their recommended 5" pipe. However......it complicates matters.

Would transitioning from the European 5" to the standard American 6" pipe likely be detrimental to the stoves performance?

Two of the European stoves I'm interested in are made by Saltfire and Ekol. Can anyone speak of their quality?

Thanks,
Arby

Hello,

I have narrowed my wood stove search to several different models. The ones that appeal to me most though are European which are set up for use with a 5" pipe. I'd prefer to use their recommended 5" pipe. However......it complicates matters.

Would transitioning from the European 5" to the standard American 6" pipe likely be detrimental to the stoves performance?

Two of the European stoves I'm interested in are made by Saltfire and Ekol. Can anyone speak of their quality?

Thanks,
Arby
Are those stoves approved for sale in the states?

A 5" to 6" increase is fairly common with European stove conversion. That shouldn't be an issue. To my knowledge, Saltfire and Ekol stoves are not sold here.

Reactions: ArbyDean
A 5" to 6" increase is fairly common with European stove conversion. That shouldn't be an issue. To my knowledge, Saltfire and Ekol stoves are not sold here.

Thanks. Neither are sold here...but, they can be shipped, and still be competitively priced.

Thanks. Neither are sold here...but, they can be shipped, and still be competitively priced.
Yes but passing an inspection and getting insurance could be an issue

Be aware that anytime regulated equipment gets shipped to the US, US customs checks to see if there are any tarriffs owed or any regulatory holds place on products coming into the country. Lister Petter Diesel clone were one "hot" item for the EPA for awhile and anyone attempted to be shipped into the US would get stopped at customs and sit there until it was sent back to country of origin. If the EPA does the same with imported stoves it is an expensive exercise.

To.big physically or heat output?

Physically.

Figured you would go for the Chinook. What are you trying to heat?

Out of the two BK models, the Boxer would have been my choice because of the log store under the stove.

I'm heating a small straw bale home. It's passively heated via the sun. The wood stove would be backup heat for cloudy days. The home is 900 sq ft. The space the stove is going into is around 500 sq ft....but with 10' tall ceilings, average (they slope from 8' - 12').

The only N American stove that looks appealing to me is the Breckwell SW500. I'm afraid it is too small though.

I'm heating a small straw bale home.

Well I guess you don't have to worry about home insurance then, not sure about building codes in your area for that type of home. Not sure how you would frame in the passthrough for the chimney but that would be a concern for me. In that type of install I would just run a kimberly or something small that uses pellet stove vent.

Well I guess you don't have to worry about home insurance then, not sure about building codes in your area for that type of home. Not sure how you would frame in the passthrough for the chimney but that would be a concern for me. In that type of install I would just run a kimberly or something small that uses pellet stove vent.

Not sure what you mean about the insurance. My wife is an agent and has it covered. Building codes....no problem. Straw bale is in the code book and the building officials have been nothing but supportive.

Re the install...again, no issue. The chimney is going straight up through the roof like any other chimney. The roof is not straw.

Not sure what you mean about the insurance. My wife is an agent and has it covered. Building codes....no problem. Straw bale is in the code book and the building officials have been nothing but supportive.

Re the install...again, no issue. The chimney is going straight up through the roof like any other chimney. The roof is not straw.
Well lots of chimneys don't go straight up. But good that is the best way regardless. And yeah straw bale has been around a long time now and is generally accepted.

For that sized place, the Drolet Deco Nano, PE Vista or Neo 1.6, and maybe the Hearthstone Lincoln are worth looking at. For a more stylish unit look at the Rais Q-Tee 2 Wood Stove.
The Woodstock Survival Hybrid could also work, though not the best looking stove.

For that sized place, the Drolet Deco Nano, PE Vista or Neo 1.6, and maybe the Hearthstone Lincoln are worth looking at. For a more stylish unit look at the Rais Q-Tee 2 Wood Stove.
The Woodstock Survival Hybrid could also work, though not the best looking stove.

Thanks. The Deco Nano was another I looked at. Great price! With north/south loading though, the stove is really deep and would poke out into my space more than I'd prefer. The Hearthstone Lincoln doesn't have the log store feature. The PE Neo I've looked at too. I put it on my list...but it was towards the bottom. Not crazy about the esthetics. The Rais is on my radar.

I've been searching off and on for over a year for a stove that fits my criteria. Ruling out the Euro stoves that aren't for sale in the US, I keep going back to the Supreme Novo 18. Even though I'm not overly crazy about it, it seems to check a lot of my boxes. Looks like one can control the fire themselves but in reading through a comment or two on the Net, people made it sound like you couldn't.

Do you or anyone else here know anything about that stove?