6" to 8" flue pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffC

Hearth Supporter
Nov 13, 2007
NY
We are replacing our 1970s Defiant woodstove with a somewhat smaller woodstove. The Defiant has an 8" pipe, it takes a right angle and goes into our fireplace chimney into an 8" insulated pipe. Most new woodstoves use a 6" pipe--as does the model we are thinking of buying. Is there a problem going from the 6" to the 8" in the wall/chimney? Someone suggested for draft purposes dropping a 6" stainless pipe into the current 8" flue pipe. Does anyone know of any issues going from the 6"to the 8" flue pipe? Thanks for any help!

you can get the same thing in stainless

6” Increasers & Reducers
HT4634SS * 6” x 4” Increaser/Reducer, two big ends 4 46.75
HT4635SS * 6” x 5” Increaser/Reducer, two big ends 4 46.75
HT4647SS 6” x 7” Increaser, 6” end crimped 4 46.20
HT4648SS 6” x 8” Increaser, 6” end crimped 4 47.75
HT4649SS * 6” x 9” Increaser, 6” end crimped 4 52.00
HT4644SS * 6” x 4” Reducer, 6” end crimped 4 46.75
HT4645SS 6” x 5” Reducer, 6” end crimped 4 46.75

Just wondering if the original stove is from the 70's, is the chimney pipe of the same age? Is it HT 2100 and what is its condition factoring it could be 30 years old?

Thanks for all the replies! I am thrilled we found this site!
The stove is from the 70s, but a few years ago (10?) we put an insulated stainless steel pipe down the chimney flue (the stove pipe enters the chimney above where the fireplace is/was). This set up came this way when we bought the house. I think you are asking if this pipe was also from the 70s and it is not. Apparently there were some cracked tiles in that flue (from an earlier chimney fire?) so we put that liner in. I assume they will check it when they install the new stove.
My question pertained to the flow of smoke and expansion of the pipe from 6 to 8 inches causing condensation of creosote where the pipe opened up, or whether there would be any draft problems with this type of arrangement. If so, then I was wondering if I should have a 6" stainless pipe dropped inside of the 8" insulated one to prevent the draft issues...(wouldn't need the i6" insulated once since it would be going inside of the current 8" one)...

If you wanted to spend the money you could run some Stainless ridgid or flex down into the 8" pipe you have
You would not need to have it insulated because the 8"

code wise 6 to 8'' is ok is see no problem make sure they included a p damper block off plate as a means to contain heat to the living space and to isolate your chimney it another added measure of protection you should have or purchase a stove tha uses 8" vent there are some still being manufactured Blaze king possibly Buck still do along with Vc and the larger Dutchwest stoves

Status
Not open for further replies.