60 ft of scrounge

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flightguy

Jan 29, 2011
Southwest MO
All 2/3 silver maple, 1/3 red oak. Mostly scrounged from the homes that have had their utility lines cleared by a contracted tree service.

Attachments

• 0 644-1.jpg
    0 644-1.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 621
  • 0 637-1.jpg
    0 637-1.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 584
Nice stack. How wide and tall or how many cord.

very nice, would love to have that kinda space. Jim

60'x6'x18"=540sq ft, 4.2 cords. I have another 1-2 cords to split and stack but my wife says she doesn't care for the whole privacy fence look. I told her I would stack it in the back corner of our lot. It's a little more inconspicuous back there. I have three acres and the only trees on trees on it are in this stack and the other pile. There is about 1/2 acres at the end of the lot I don't mow due to uneven terrain. There should be enough area to lay some pallets down and begin my collection. I'm gonna shoot for 20 cords. Now I just need to but a stove to burn this stuff in.

Impressive... a man who sees the possibilities. Great stacks and look forward to hearing what unit you buy to liberate all that carbon.

Ok, I feel inadequate. :cheese:

Nice stacking, should season nice in that spot.

Impresive stack. All from someone without a stove/fireplace? Way to think ahead.

Shawn

Flightguy said:
All 2/3 silver maple, 1/3 red oak. Mostly scrounged from the homes that have had their utility lines cleared by a contracted tree service.

Nice job on your stacks.

Zap

Flightguy said:
60'x6'x18"=540sq ft, 4.2 cords. I have another 1-2 cords to split and stack but my wife says she doesn't care for the whole privacy fence look. I told her I would stack it in the back corner of our lot. It's a little more inconspicuous back there. I have three acres and the only trees on trees on it are in this stack and the other pile. There is about 1/2 acres at the end of the lot I don't mow due to uneven terrain. There should be enough area to lay some pallets down and begin my collection. I'm gonna shoot for 20 cords. Now I just need to but a stove to burn this stuff in.

Welcome to the forum Flightguy!

You are to be congratulated on getting your fuel before the stove. That is the proper way to do it but few will do it. They think like buying oil or gas; get it when you need it. That is not a good way of getting wood for fuel.

It is also impressive that you got this from a tree service as a mix of maple and oak. That should serve you very well.

Have you been looking at stoves or decided on what you might get? However you go, we wish you good luck.

Thanks for all the compliments and welcomes. I have been lingering arround here for a while now, starting shortly after opening up a few huge utility bills. I obviously learned to go get wood and get it seasoning before I buy a stove. I've also learned about fiskars and how to stack. As far as the wood I have scrounged I've been pretty lucky. The oak came from a huge tree on the campus of a local college. It looks like somebody had tried to cut the rounds off with an 18 inch bar. They were cut 90% of the way off, it took every millimeter of the 20 inch bar on the 455 (and a little sledge and wedge) to get it to finally pop off. About 1.5 cords out of just the trunk (limb wood was already taken). A lot of the maple came from one yard that had 2 large maples cut to length with a "free" sign sprayed onto the base of the tree. You can kinda determine the size by the chopping blocks I made from the bases (at each end of the pile). So far i have had 2 people approach me to ask if I would haul away their wood while I was splitting some of the bigger rounds. I know that kind of luck won't continue. I do have permission to cut probably 5+ cords of red oak I hope to get to soon for future winters. Thanks to everybody for all the helpful info.

Flightguy said:
Thanks for all the compliments and welcomes. I have been lingering arround here for a while now, starting shortly after opening up a few huge utility bills. I obviously learned to go get wood and get it seasoning before I buy a stove. I've also learned about fiskars and how to stack. As far as the wood I have scrounged I've been pretty lucky. The oak came from a huge tree on the campus of a local college. It looks like somebody had tried to cut the rounds off with an 18 inch bar. They were cut 90% of the way off, it took every millimeter of the 20 inch bar on the 455 (and a little sledge and wedge) to get it to finally pop off. About 1.5 cords out of just the trunk (limb wood was already taken). A lot of the maple came from one yard that had 2 large maples cut to length with a "free" sign sprayed onto the base of the tree. You can kinda determine the size by the chopping blocks I made from the bases (at each end of the pile). So far i have had 2 people approach me to ask if I would haul away their wood while I was splitting some of the bigger rounds. I know that kind of luck won't continue. I do have permission to cut probably 5+ cords of red oak I hope to get to soon for future winters. Thanks to everybody for all the helpful info.

Take all you can get your hands on, one thing I learned scrounging is its feast or famine. I didnt think I was going to get any wood then the floodgates opened and I dont have the time to get all thats available.
Let us know when you get your stove.

That's a great stack. dunno if I'd go 6' high if I had that kind of space, but you look to be a more skilled stacker than I.

Feast and famine is what I've found as well. In spring '09 I went after some really tough wood 'cause I was a affraid of not having enough for the next season. For one dead Oak I had to cut, split, then carry the splits 100' uphill out of the woods to the road & then split the spoils 50/50 with the homeowner. The next spring & summer I got enough oak & Elm to last a whole season all already down, easy access and 0-5 blocks from my house. This spring I already had the next seasons wood in the stacks for 6 months & hadn't even started the scrounging effort yet when a tree service hook-up landed me a seasons worth of Mulberry, Elm, Maple & Oak delivered log-length to my front yard.
Now that I'm 2-3 years ahead there are $200K in tree service contracts starting for clean-up & trail cutting in a woodland park that's 2 blocks from me. Could be raining Oak around here this summer.

Hope you don't mind but.................

WoodButcher

Attachments

• 0-644-1.jpg
    0-644-1.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 203
Status
Not open for further replies.