600 year-old oak that George Washington picnicked under is dying...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the article. Hopefully they can come up with a plan to keep it thriving. If not, the wood could be used in positive and commemorative ways as was mentioned in the linked article about the tree in Salem.

Reactions: Fred Wright
This tree is in the next town east of me. Unfortunately most couldn't tell you when or who fought in the american revolution. Its a great tree and amazing piece of local history.

Reactions: Jeffm1
Chainsaw and trailer ready. ::-)

It's a shame to see such a beautiful old tree go, bu I guess all things must pass. Hearing that George Washington picnicked under the tree might seem something extraordinary to those outside our area, but he spent several years bouncing all over our area during the war, so this is nothing particularly rare. He slept in two different houses once owned by my family, in December 1776, having planned the famous Christmas day battle of Trenton in the dining room of the first. Many others with family history in this area have similar stories.

Last edited:

It's a shame to see such a beautiful old tree go, bu I guess all things must pass. Hearing that George Washington picnicked under the tree might seem something extraordinary to those outside our area, but spent several years bouncing all over our area during the war, so this is nothing particularly rare. He slept in two different houses once owned by my family, in December 1776, having planned the famous Christmas day battle of Trenton in the dining room of the first. Many others with family history in this area have similar stories.
Wow, talk about dropping names! That's impressive.

It's a shame to see such a beautiful old tree go, bu I guess all things must pass. Hearing that George Washington picnicked under the tree might seem something extraordinary to those outside our area, but he spent several years bouncing all over our area during the war, so this is nothing particularly rare. He slept in two different houses once owned by my family, in December 1776, having planned the famous Christmas day battle of Trenton in the dining room of the first. Many others with family history in this area have similar stories.
Ashful, is the house you're in one of the old family homes? I know from pics you've posted, it's old but does it have the storied history?

I recall reading about a local village green legacy oak dying sometime back. Certainly sad to see. As the story went it was thought that the tree was over a century old when Dutch setters occupied the area.

The county contracted with a cabinetmaker to have a desk made from the lumber for the mayor's office. The remains were turned into a variety of items; lamp bases, gavels for the courthouse, sign boards etc.

Ashful, is the house you're in one of the old family homes? I know from pics you've posted, it's old but does it have the storied history?
Nope. This house was built and owned by the same family 1773 - 1922, and I know many of their descendants today. They're one of the handful of families that originally settled this area in 1727, when the Mennonites fled Europe for the "New World". The member of that family who had my house built was elected minister of the local church, by lots. His grandfather was one of the founding trustees of that church, started 1727 and still healthy today. Fascinating history, but not mine!

The oldest known structure on this property was 1738, and I believe one corner of that older house may have been incorporated into our current house.

Status
Not open for further replies.