7" galvanized liner in chimney. Remove or keep it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Big Cat

Oct 10, 2017
Wisconsin
I have a 7" galvanized liner in my chimney. It is 34' 4" long and roughly +40 years old. I need to install a 6" insulated sst liner to be able to use my wood furnace.
My question is do I install a 6" insulated liner down the center of the 7-inch liner or should I remove the 7" liner?

Attachments

• 20170715_140014_resized(1).jpg
    20170715_140014_resized(1).jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 215
It'll have to be pulled out. A 6" insulated liner won't fit. It will be about 7.5-8" OD, so there still may not be enough room. You might need to look at pre-insulated 6" liner with a smaller OD. DuraLiner rigid is 6 5/8" OD.

Is the chimney top getting rebuilt too?

Yeah, I'm gonna repoint with new mortor. I didn't think it was that bad till I took the metal cap off.
How do I remove 34' of 7" pipe? It's in sections, but I don't know how to disconnect it.

Attachments

• 20170715_140047_resized.jpg
    20170715_140047_resized.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 190
The top looks like it need more than just pointing, it looks like it needs to be rebuilt.

To get the pipe out it will need to be lifted out and the sections removed, one or two at a time depending on their length. The sections will probably be screwed or pop-riveted together. It will be heavy at first so having a helper or two will make a big difference. There may be another method but I would probably have a rope with a clove hitch around the pipe. Lift up a section and then secure the rope around the chimney to hold it in place while decoupling the section. Another method might be to use a stout angle iron that can straddle the top of the chimney. The angle iron would have a hole drilled in the middle that would clear a #10 sheet metal screw. Lift the pipe up a bit more than a section, drill a hole into the pipe thru the angle iron and run the screw thru the angle iron into the pipe to hold it in place while disassembling the section above it. There may be other better ways that others have found to do this. With two helpers maybe they could just hold the pipe? If so I would still have the rope with a clove hitch on it for safety. You don't want to lose the pipe down the chimney.

I was talking to a co-worker yesterday and he has a 7" sst liner, cap and tee in his chimney that he's not using. He said i could have it. Problem is tho that it's 27'-28' long. I need 34'. Is there an adapter I can buy to extend the liner?

I was talking to a co-worker yesterday and he has a 7" sst liner, cap and tee in his chimney that he's not using. He said i could have it. Problem is tho that it's 27'-28' long. I need 34'. Is there an adapter I can buy to extend the liner?
Yes there are couplers

Which coupler should i use? Male to male or male to female?
My coworker said he'd sell me the 28' liner. All i need now is 6'-7' of pipe. Should I use flex pipe or rigid pipe? The shortest section of flex pipe i found was 15'. They sell rigid pipe in 2', 3', 4' sections.

Which coupler should i use? Male to male or male to female?
My coworker said he'd sell me the 28' liner. All i need now is 6'-7' of pipe. Should I use flex pipe or rigid pipe? The shortest section of flex pipe i found was 15'. They sell rigid pipe in 2', 3', 4' sections.
You want male to female coupler made for the type of liner you are using. I would call around to local chimney guys and see if they have any scrap prices of flex liners around.

Lucky you, an old hot roof. Do yourself a favor, cut a reglet joint into the mortar joint just above the that mucked up flashing on the sides at the base, and install some proper flashing. Save yourself the dread when the mucK lets loose and lets water start running down inside.

I removed the liner. I made a 8' tall saw horse, pully, rope and come-along setup.
The 1st section i screwed to the angle bracket and the bottom section fell off inside the chimney. So then i had to fabricate a scissor clamp to grab the that liner. I got it to work, but after that section was out and screwed the bottom section came off of that! So... i came up with the idea to rap the rope around the bottom tee and pull it up. It was lite enough to pull up by hand.

Well done!

I have the sst liner in. Some of the insulation tore off as I was pulling it up the side of the roof. But I gave no fracks and put it down the chimney. I just got tired of fighting with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Torn or missing insulation isn't something to not give a frack about.

Looks like an unlined chimney so it absolutely requires insulation. Reading everything you've done and all the work you've gone to. Why cut a serious safety corner at the end?

Reactions: bholler
It's good to have a helper when doing a liner install.

The tee is facing the wrong way. I tried earlier today to have it face the right way, but the liner to too heavy to pull up or turn.
I wrapped a rope around the top of the liner to use as handles.

I have my wood furnace hooked up and running. So far so good. I don't use it all the time, just here and there.
Im waiting to get a estimate back to duct it into my house duct work. Right now it mostly heats to basement, kitchen and upstairs.

Question, forum members don't you think it would be very important to point out safety factors and the importance of code clearences and the danger of installing a liner with torn insulation before giving out any advice at all. Is it not like seeing someone driving towards a cliff telling them to slow down but not telling them the bridge is out, knowing full well what's going to happen.

Question, forum members don't you think it would be very important to point out safety factors and the importance of code clearences and the danger of installing a liner with torn insulation before giving out any advice at all. Is it not like seeing someone driving towards a cliff telling them to slow down but not telling them the bridge is out, knowing full well what's going to happen.
It was pointed out by squisher.