7" galvanized liner in chimney. Remove or keep it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
It was pointed out by squisher.

Yes but only after the liner was installed, the forum is geared towards do it yourself home owners and the majority of us think that because it's a brick fireplace how could it possibly catch your house on fire. I know that all the info is on this forum if you take the time to search through thousands of pages, but let's be honest most people jump right into a project and learn from their mistakes. I just think it's very important before any answers are given to any OP that we explain what the insulation is really used for and that it can't be torn and needs a wire mesh over it to stop that from happening, and how this is very important before proceeding any further. Also point out what mistakes are common that you guys have seen over and over.

Who wants to see anyone go through all the trouble to install a liner only after to find out that they did it wrong. Safety advice should be first and foremost at the beginning of every project to insure it's done right, and we should point the OP to threads on this subject so they know it's the most important part of the install, and be researched before they proceed any further.

Yes but only after the liner was installed, the forum is geared towards do it yourself home owners and the majority of us think that because it's a brick fireplace how could it possibly catch your house on fire. I know that all the info is on this forum if you take the time to search through thousands of pages, but let's be honest most people jump right into a project and learn from their mistakes. I just think it's very important before any answers are given to any OP that we explain what the insulation is really used for and that it can't be torn and needs a wire mesh over it to stop that from happening, and how this is very important before proceeding any further. Also point out what mistakes are common that you guys have seen over and over.

Who wants to see anyone go through all the trouble to install a liner only after to find out that they did it wrong. Safety advice should be first and foremost at the beginning of every project to insure it's done right, and we should point the OP to threads on this subject so they know it's the most important part of the install, and be researched before they proceed any further.
Yes and the op was told from the start they needed sn insulated liner. They insulated it ans tore the insulation when installing. It was pointed out by squisher that torn insulation was a problem. Not sure what else you want. Yes we try to give people all the onfo they need to do it right. That was done in this case if people choose to follow that is up to them.

The forum is geared toward safety and shared knowledge. Most people come here for information. The majority never even post in a thread. At times DIY questions come up, but by and large the majority of posts here are by new stove owners, stove owners with problems and stove owners soon-to-be. For them the installations are typically by someone else and not DIY.

Last edited:
The outside insulation foil was cracking as I was bending it to go down the chimney and my bends weren't that tight. Insulation was also catching on the mortor too.
The liner I have came from a co-workers chimney. There was not insulation on it, only around the top plate.

What if I insulate around the top plate of my chimney? It would hold the heat in?
The problem is not about keeping heat in it is about keeping heat from tranferring through the masonry to agjacent conbustibles.

What if I insulate around the top plate of my chimney? It would hold the heat in?
That will keep the liner warmer at the top of the chimney, not much else. Still, there is a benefit from doing so.

Mark- I understand how you feel. It takes hours and hours sometimes to get to the information that is important, and you have to sift through mountains of nonsense at times to get good information. Then, you have to decide who's giving good information and who's just blowing smoke. I felt the same way when I read through hundreds of posts last night about an insert that wasn't heating. Just required blocking off the holes up into the chimney behind the insert, but lots of nonsense was posited before the op was offered this solution.

I don't know the best way to solve this problem. Personally, after spending many hours here, I decided there are several "go-to" contributors that everyone should listen carefully to: bholler, bgreen, squisher are my favorites, but there are others, maybe just not as active currently.

If you pay attention to them, you'll see them repeating themselves over and over and over: install an insulated liner, install a block-off plate, burn dry wood, insulate your house, etc. But then people argue with them because they either can't or don't want to do the work, or spend the money. And, unless you've spent a lot of time here, you don't know who to listen to.

This isn't rocket science, and honestly, the good information could be boiled down somehow as a reference. In fact, if you knew where to look, I'm pretty sure those nuggets are all here, but there is so much information that it gets lost in the noise.

This is just one more example of the growing pains of the information age, the democratization of information. So many opinions that the facts get lost.

It doesn't help that many of the people who work in this industry are either clueless or just don't give a damn.

Last edited:
My stove pipe going into the Tee is at least 20" from a combustible. There is air return pipes above the stove pipe tho. The heating and cooling guy says it look ok.

Code says the air return needs to be 10' away from the stove but I don't recall anything about the pipe.

I don't want to clog up the op's thread by responding to every reply, this is a great forum with great info, and great people helping, I was not blaming anyone, I just noticed a repeated problem and thought I would share some friendly suggestions to help.:)

Last edited:
My gas furnace that is next to wood stove is 14" away. There is a faded diagram on the front of stove. Shows what clearances are suppose to be, BUT the stove was built in 1980, so maybe things have changed since then.

Like this.
7" galvanized liner in chimney. Remove or keep it?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't want to clog up the op's thread by responding to every reply, this is a great forum with great info, and great people helping, I was not blaming anyone, I just seen a repeated problem and thought I would share some friendly suggestions to help.:)

As much as we all try to help on here the reality is that we're never going to cover every contingency in every situation that someone presents. Most of the homeowners come on here with the theory that "it's a woodstove/chimney/fireplace....whatever, how hard can this really be" and they have no idea how complicated and involved this stuff can get. Especially from a liability standpoint. They want a quick easy fix that they can do themselves and don't have to pay somebody. While some of them truly can, the reality is that there's more to it than they think there is and in many cases they're literally playing with fire.

There are some more questions that arise here. Are the stove and gas furnace on separate flues? I'm a little concerned that two combustion appliances are next to each other. It looks like the stove requires 20" side clearance. Also, both the furnace and stove need combustion air, you don't want them competing for this. Often an outside air supply is brought in to mitigate this situation.

Gas furnace has it own exhaust pipe. The air intake for both furnaces are not close to each other. The 20" dimension is for what's behind the wood furnace by the stove pipe.

Attachments

• 7" galvanized liner in chimney. Remove or keep it?
    20180114_141322.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 130
7" galvanized liner in chimney. Remove or keep it? 7" galvanized liner in chimney. Remove or keep it?
Yes it is old and missing the front blower.
I did have a heating and cooling expert look at it and asked if it looked up to code. He is the same guy who installed the gas furnace.

There are some more questions that arise here. Are the stove and gas furnace on separate flues? I'm a little concerned that two combustion appliances are next to each other. It looks like the stove requires 20" side clearance. Also, both the furnace and stove need combustion air, you don't want them competing for this. Often an outside air supply is brought in to mitigate this situation.

Looks like a high efficiency furnace with PVC exhaust.

Looks like a high efficiency furnace with PVC exhaust.
Yes, I noticed that. That means it should also have it's own outside air supply. Can't see this from the photo, but it probably does.

The outside insulation foil was cracking as I was bending it to go down the chimney and my bends weren't that tight. Insulation was also catching on the mortor too.
The liner I have came from a co-workers chimney. There was not insulation on it, only around the top plate.

Seems to be some contradiction here? May be a typo or a mis-speak.

Reactions: Mark8