70s metalbestos pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Busdriver

Nov 15, 2014
Mounds View mn
Hi I'm new here but read many of the post. Bought house with a 70s heatilator with a 9'' I'd 14' od metalbestos pipe going up though the roof with flashing and cap. I'm scraping the heatilator framing and all. Putting in a country comfort cc1000 free standing air tight stove that is U.L listed. Question is can leave a portion of the old metalbestos I.e from the inside ceiling thru the roof. Thought was to use a 6'' to 9'' reducer near the ceiling running black single pipe wall down to the stove. Or to just run the 6 inch thru the old metalbesto pipe.

The pipe is air cooled and not rated for a wood stove. The liner trick might work but would need to be stainless steel. Personally I would replace it with new class A pipe.

I have see people pull the inner liner and run new class a up through the old outer shell. As long as you can support the class a properly like this it is fine to do it that way. But no you cant use the old chimney to vent your new stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.