8" flue to 6" chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Vermontyurt

Sep 10, 2016
Lunenburg Vermont
Hi all,

I have seen posts that indicate that its OK to increase chimney pipe size but not to code to reduce chimney size. I have some Selkirk 6" chimney pipe that I would like to use but my stove flue is 8".

Just want to confirm that it is not OK to use a 8" to 6" reducer from the stove coller to the stove pipe.

These forums a a great resource for newbies!

Hi all,

I have seen posts that indicate that its OK to increase chimney pipe size but not to code to reduce chimney size. I have some Selkirk 6" chimney pipe that I would like to use but my stove flue is 8".

Just want to confirm that it is not OK to use a 8" to 6" reducer from the stove coller to the stove pipe.

These forums a a great resource for newbies!
It is against code to go up or down more than 1". And many times it really doesnt work well anyway. What stove it it for?

Its for a Jotul Combifire 4. From my measurements the flue is 6 5/8 ID and 6 7/8 OD.
Yes you can use a 6" chimney with that stove. Because it is not an 8" outlet

FYI Woodsmanspartplus sells a reducer for the Combifire 4 that goes from 175mm to 6". 175 mm translates to 6.9"
I have the same Jotul combifire. Manufacturer does say that the flue diameter should be 8 inch. But, the OD of the fireplace smoke outlet collar is 7 inches. Now, it did mention that the smoke outlet collar is 8 inches in the manual, but in reality its OD is 7 inches. All you tubers mention that you use the flue diameter that the smoke outlet is measured as, in this case 7 inches. I'm of the same opinion as my chimney flue size coming out of the ceiling is currently 7 inches and that would suit me just fine. But, I am non compliant with manufacturer, unless they made a printing error, or the north american model accomodates 7 inch flue size, and they did not make the changes on the plate nor manual, destined for Europe. Don't know. HELP! Don't know how to proceed in this case.