80 gal DHW tank

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
90f7b7932253f500da74b80a7764ba6a.jpg

Maybe not with a well, but I'm no expert. You didn't use one with the 50 gallon tank?
My small gas water heater in my old house came with one, but that was city water. I haven't needed one on my 40 gallon electric heater that's on a well, with no check valve between it and the well tank.

Don't have one on the indirect fired DHW side of 120 gallons being fed by almost 750KBTU's

I have an indirect DHW tank. Not that large but it wouldn't make any difference what size it is in my case. I don't have any check valves on the input line so any excess pressure would backflow into my pressure tank.

The only reason to install one would be if you are on a city water supply with some form of backflow protection at the water meter. If you are on a well, your pressure tank acts as an expansion tank.

The only reason to install one would be if you are on a city water supply with some form of backflow protection at the water meter. If you are on a well, your pressure tank acts as an expansion tank.
Ya I'm on city water but we are not metered. I just finished up the install, I didn't put in an expansion tank. We'll see how it goes..

750K? How quick does it take to charge the tank...10 minutes?

From a dead start it takes about 20 mins if the primary loop is hot and the hot water loop pumps are off.

My 75k (net) boiler takes about an hour and a half (I'll check it out next time I can) to charge my 120 gallon tank with no loops running. Then again, this is a buffer tank and I let the top of the tank get down to maybe 120 and I heat the tank to maybe 185, averaged over the height of the tank.

Our numbers might not jive, with your 750k for 20 minutes and my 75k for 90 minutes, but eh, it is what it is.

My 75k (net) boiler takes about an hour and a half (I'll check it out next time I can) to charge my 120 gallon tank with no loops running. Then again, this is a buffer tank and I let the top of the tank get down to maybe 120 and I heat the tank to maybe 185, averaged over the height of the tank.

Our numbers might not jive, with your 750k for 20 minutes and my 75k for 90 minutes, but eh, it is what it is.

I'm talking DHW and satisfied at 140.

Ya I'm on city water but we are not metered. I just finished up the install, I didn't put in an expansion tank. We'll see how it goes..
You will need one then. That could blow of a lot of water if not. I have seen many a basement ruined this way.

Sometimes even with a working tank but the city bumped up the pressure. Needed a bigger tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.