859.7*f

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crabbypatty

Nov 22, 2008
Western MA
the temperature of the back of my stove, with the primary shut all the way is 859.7*f!!!!!. i measured it right where the outlet bolts to the back of the stove when i noticed the dull red glow of the cast iron there. i have read a lot of posts regarding this to be " normal" according to VC but i am still , justifiably, concerned. i have a mag therm on the top of the stove which reads 550* , and another on the outlet collar itself that reads 750* f. i took out my fluke digital temp meter and put the lead on the stove right next to the bolt for the flue collar. so if surface temp x2 equalls interior temp does that mean i am over 1700* inside the secondary chamber? should i be worried? or should i take up blacksmithing and use it like a blast furnace? does the encore nc take its primary and secondary air in through the oak inlet? i am seriously considering a short duct and manual damper to control this baby,.......what do you guys think?

Also, I wouldn't believe any hearsay about some "letter" from VC about glowing parts being normal. The manual clearly states that a glowing stove part = overfire.

Crabbypatty said:
the temperature of the back of my stove, with the primary shut all the way is 859.7*f!!!!!. i measured it right where the outlet bolts to the back of the stove when i noticed the dull red glow of the cast iron there. i have read a lot of posts regarding this to be " normal" according to VC but i am still , justifiably, concerned. i have a mag therm on the top of the stove which reads 550* , and another on the outlet collar itself that reads 750* f. i took out my fluke digital temp meter and put the lead on the stove right next to the bolt for the flue collar. so if surface temp x2 equalls interior temp does that mean i am over 1700* inside the secondary chamber? should i be worried? or should i take up blacksmithing and use it like a blast furnace? does the encore nc take its primary and secondary air in through the oak inlet? i am seriously considering a short duct and manual damper to control this baby,.......what do you guys think?

I bet it was nice & toasty in the room :lol:

I covered my AOK 50% with aluminum duct tape & it appears to work. I can control the stove better. Also, I removed the flue collar for cleaning recently & looked at the refactory material, there is only about 3"x3" of exposed cast (not lined with refactory) right by the flue collar & that is the only part that glows.

it was only 96* f in the room :-/ . so Diabel what kind of temps do you get on your stove, and where do you have you thermo located? do you still shut the primary all the way off or close to it to get a good overnite burn?

96*! That is warm...

I have a magnetic thermo. on the griddle & that temp will run anywhere from 450* to 650* during the burn cycle. I have a second magnetic thermo. 8" above the flue collar since that is the only single wall exposed & that will peak at 500* & slowly go down to 250*.

As for overnights I leave about 5-10% air open. If I close it totally then I will have a black glass in the morning. I have played with it & noticed that leaving the air open 10% does not reduce my burn time by 10%.

Status
Not open for further replies.