$.99 60W led bulbs at Lowes.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian26

Minister of Fire
Sep 20, 2013
Branford, CT
Saw these at my local Lowes in the New Haven CT area today. Utiltech 60 watt (9 watt) led bulbs for $.99 cents. I have mostly Crees in the house but picked up 2 to try them out. They are pretty close in light output to the Crees. I still have a few CFL's in as I refuse to replace them with leds untill they burn out.

First time I saw a led bulb for under a dollar. I paid $4 for most of my Cree bulbs awhile back and that was a subsided price through Energize CT our local utility subsided efficiency program.

Looks like prices are really dropping on these.

20151119_165931.jpg

The sixteen cent one is a 40W equivalent.

When you click on any of those links you are going to see the price at whatever they think your local store is.

Reactions: ctaco
I chuckle at myself when I go to extremes to save money on one thing but freely spend it on something else. Like I easily will spend $20 for 2-3 craft beers which are quickly consumed, and I'm out $20, except for the enjoyment and memory. But I might not spend $20 on a few LED bulbs because I now have CFLs, when if I spent that $20 I would start getting an immediate payback in reduced usage of electricity, and ultimately the LEDs not only will cost me nothing but make me money. Funny self in a funny world we live in.

I am not great at math but at .99 cents and with some of the highest electrical rates in the US here in CT (over .20kwh delivered). It wouldn't take long to pay for itself. Compared to a 60 watt incandescent bulb these only use 9 watts. That's almost 7 times less the power. Even if it lasted a year it would be well worth the investment. I believe the warranty for these since they are Lowes house brand is to bring the bulb into the store and they will give you a new one.

Saw these at my local Lowes in the New Haven CT area today. Utiltech 60 watt (9 watt) led bulbs for $.99 cents. I have mostly Crees in the house but picked up 2 to try them out. They are pretty close in light output to the Crees. I still have a few CFL's in as I refuse to replace them with leds untill they burn out.

First time I saw a led bulb for under a dollar. I paid $4 for most of my Cree bulbs awhile back and that was a subsided price through Energize CT our local utility subsided efficiency program.

Looks like prices are really dropping on these.

View attachment 167498
Yes, in my area, I found a similar deal. It was the Utilitech 40 watts (6.5 watt) led bulbs for $.62
I bought 50 of them at that price and was able to replace most bulbs in my house.

So I went to Lowes today...no bulbs. The 40W ones for $0.16 were gone (big surprise) and the 60W $0.99 ones are a BF special. I showed the lighting manager that the price comes up on their website as a current price for the single pack bulbs, he showed me that the SKU was different than the singles that they have in stock. He did tell me they have 2900 of them coming for BF though.
He also mentioned that you get what you pay for with LED bulbs, for the most part anyways. He said the Utilitech bulbs that they stock are rated at 4.5 year lifespan bulbs, but the BF special ones are 2 or 2.5 year bulbs. I asked how they rated the life of them, he said it is based on being turned on once per day, and then is left on for 3 hours. Maybe y'all knew that before, I didn't

Last edited:
Reactions: Z33
So I went to Lowes today...no bulbs. The 40W ones for $0.16 were gone (big surprise) and the 60W $0.99 ones are a BF special. I showed the lighting manager that the price comes up on their website as a current price for the single pack bulbs, he showed me that the SKU was different than the singles that they have in stock. He did tell me they have 2900 of them coming for BF though.
He also mentioned that you get what you pay for with LED bulbs, for the most part anyways. He said the Utilitech bulbs that they stock are rated at 4.5 year lifespan bulbs, but the BF special ones are 2 or 2.5 year bulbs. I asked how they rated the life of them, he said it is based on being turned on once per day, and then is left on for 3 hours. Maybe y'all knew that before, I didn't

Definitely seems like these are built to meet a price point instead of for longevity.

Status
Not open for further replies.